What can Studio One 6 offer over Cubase12/Ableton?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

They just announced Studio One 6, Cubase 12 was released some time ago, and Ableton live 11.2 was also introduced.

What can this new Studio One 6 offer what Cubase 12 or Ableton 11.2 are missing?

Example in Studio one you can have arranger where you have "Intro" part, and by moving this "intro" part on arranger lane, everything under "intro" moves along... I think this used to to be unique feature only in Studio One, is this imported to Ableton or Cubase now as they are also updated?

In Cubase this is the arranger. You can do a variety of arrangements within one project and the song pointer follows along.you name and colour code the sections and specify the number of repeats. You can also unfurl the arrangement and a new project is created that flows from left to right.

Cubase’s arranger is like studio ones but even more complete and functional.

Bartone wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:31 am They just announced Studio One 6, Cubase 12 was released some time ago, and Ableton live 11.2 was also introduced.

What can this new Studio One 6 offer what Cubase 12 or Ableton 11.2 are missing?

Example in Studio one you can have arranger where you have "Intro" part, and by moving this "intro" part on arranger lane, everything under "intro" moves along... I think this used to to be unique feature only in Studio One, is this imported to Ableton or Cubase now as they are also updated?
Previous versions did add unique features and features that have better workflow than Cubase or others
But this version brings nothing over. Seems like a catch up version but still lacks.
Other than Video track, everything seems like a .1 update
Presonus is known for adding huge features during a major cycle so we shall see.

Cubase:
1. Scratch Pads
2. Multi-Instruments
3. Splitter
4. Project Page*
5. Show Page*
6. Vocoder
7. Global Lyrics Track
8. Round-Trip Integration with Score Editor (Notion 6)
9. Cheap Full-Sampler Add-On (Presence XT Editor)
10. Editable Folder Tracks (e.g. Folder-as-Bus, etc.)
11. Clip FX
12. Fader Flip
13. Better Stock [Sampled] Instrument Content - Not talking about the sample content, discrete instrument libraries (e.g. Verve, Amped Elektra, etc.) or Synths. The Core Presence XT content in Studio One is, IMO, much better than the stuff in the HALion Sonic SE 3 stuff that comes with Cubase Pro.
14. Mix Engine FX
15. Control Link: Better than Cubase Quick Control Mapping/Functionality, IMVHO.
16. Pattern Editor

* = Steinberg prefers to target separate, discrete products at these market segments (WaveLab, VST Live).

Honestly, I can probably come up with a list twice as long for Cubase over Studio One.

I won't get into Ableton because there is just too much, but Ableton to me is a different "class" of product than Studio One. I don't really use Ableton to replace something like Cubase, but in spite of it for the type of music Ableton excels at enabling you to produce in an experimental, efficient and entertaining manner.

Unless you're considering Cubase Pro just for EDM... and I'm not sure I would get it over Cubase. I mean, Cubase crossgrades are almost on as cheap as Studio One Professional upgrades, right now. 6 is a really lite upgrade for Studio One. The lighest we've seen, even if we factor in .5 Updates.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

I really like Studio One's mixer view in the lower area. It shows everything on one page - inserts, sends, metering etc. - while Cubase's mixer view in the lower area has 3 pages, which I have to switch all the time. In pretty much all other aspects I prefer Cubase 12.

Cubase is (or was? Haven't used the newest versions) better for weirdos like me who don't like using the mixer section almost ever.

Is it true, that Cubase doesn't offer free point updates (let's say when Cubase 12.5 comes the update is not free even if you already have Cubase 12)? But Studio One and Ableton offer free point updates, only the major updates are paid ones (Studio One 5.5 free, Studio One 6 paid)?

That's right. Only full version upgrades of Studio One cost, while Steinberg traditionally has charged for .5 version updates.

There's a free demo of Studio One. Why not try it out?

It's like buying a new car. Comparing cars on paper won't tell you much of anything. You gotta take them for a test drive and see how they feel.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

There are three paid for versions of Cubase, Elements, Artist , and Pro and two usually *free / bundled with hardware versions. Demoing is recommended but the documentation and feature lists are important to read. I've been contacted by people who have bought a lower version and wonder why they can't side chain, comp or find vari audio features etc. See below.

https://www.steinberg.net/cubase/compare-editions/

jamcat wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:09 pm That's right. Only full version upgrades of Studio One cost, while Steinberg traditionally has charged for .5 version updates.

It's like buying a new car. Comparing cars on paper won't tell you much of anything. You gotta take them for a test drive and see how they feel.

jamcat wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:09 pm

Nope, you have to join Sphere and pay to demo it. The free demo comes later.

I haven't even been able to log into my PreSonus user account since 6 was unveiled.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

This post on the Cubase forum from Mattias Quellmann (works for Steinberg):
Cubase 12.0.50 is already in the beta test. Unfortunately we can’t announce a release date yet.

For anyone on the fence on whether to upgrade now to SO 6 or migrate to Cubase 12, it might be worth it to wait and see what is added on the next Cubase update before making a decision. Just saying...
I own Cubase 12/Nuendo 12 and upgraded to SO 6 yesterday (haven't had a chance to check out all the new features yet). Neither is perfect but I find Nuendo to come closest to having everything I need in a DAW. However I still prefer the workflow in Studio One which is why I use it also.
Mac Studio M1 Max 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64GB RAM, 4TB SSD | Logic Pro 10.7.5 | Cubase Pro 12 | Nuendo 12 | Studio One 6 | Seagate 8TB external HDD | Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd Gen | Akai MPK261 | Akai MPC X

summer2000 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:38 pm This post on the Cubase forum from Mattias Quellmann (works for Steinberg):
Cubase 12.0.50 is already in the beta test. Unfortunately we can’t announce a release date yet.

For anyone on the fence on whether to upgrade now to SO 6 or migrate to Cubase 12, it might be worth it to wait and see what is added on the next Cubase update before making a decision. Just saying...
I own Cubase 12/Nuendo 12 and upgraded to SO 6 yesterday (haven't had a chance to check out all the new features yet). Neither is perfect but I find Nuendo to come closest to having everything I need in a DAW. However I still prefer the workflow in Studio One which is why I use it also.
Steinberg doesn't typically add new features to incremental updates. Almost always these incremental updates are bug fixes. New features are added to the 0 and 0.5 updates. Everything inbetween is a bug fix or completing a feature that was already announced as part of the release. Don't expect any suprises.

Scotty wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:47 pm
summer2000 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:38 pm This post on the Cubase forum from Mattias Quellmann (works for Steinberg):

Steinberg doesn't typically add new features to incremental updates. Almost always these incremental updates are bug fixes. New features are added to the 0 and 0.5 updates. Everything inbetween is a bug fix or completing a feature that was already announced as part of the release. Don't expect any suprises.
That is true Scotty. Personally, I'd rather they address any outstanding bugs before adding any new features.
Mac Studio M1 Max 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64GB RAM, 4TB SSD | Logic Pro 10.7.5 | Cubase Pro 12 | Nuendo 12 | Studio One 6 | Seagate 8TB external HDD | Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd Gen | Akai MPK261 | Akai MPC X

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”