TAL-Drum...Basic Sfz support?

Official support for: tal-software.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Would it be possible to implement basic Sfz support like TAL-Sampler? Presets can be generated via scripts quickly.

or at least be able to read a text file with the basic structure of "file:///path/to/any/wav"
in fact, I think all soft samplers should be able to do this at a minimum.

I agree. I have not purchased TAL-Drum because of lack of SFZ support.

Please! 😬🙏
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

chibchan wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:58 pm Would it be possible to implement basic Sfz support like TAL-Sampler? Presets can be generated via scripts quickly.
Try opening a .taldrum file in a text editor, it's pretty easy to see what's going on.

NAD wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:10 pm Try opening a .taldrum file in a text editor, it's pretty easy to see what's going on.

Yeah, i've done so many times like a dog chasing its tail. It may be pretty easy to see what's going on for most but not for this geezer. :phones:

Sorry, I guess I just assumed if you're writing scripts that you're probably comfortable with geeky computer stuff.

Anyway, it's seems like TAL uses an XML type format which might be familiar if you've ever looked at the source html of a webpage. It's not entirely dissimilar to sfz actually.

As a starting point for your scripts I suggest you save the default empty preset. Inside you'll find <mapping> tags with a path="" attribute where you would enter a path to an audio file between the quotation marks. Lemme know if you need more help.

I don't mind the geeky stuff. It can be intensely therapeutic. Looking at a tal-drum file, for me, it gets difficult isolating mapping tags because they are not (mapping1, mapping2) unique. So i hit a wall in terms of find and replace. This needs to be done via scripting with simple built in tools cause i am not going through every mapping tag 1 by 1 :wink: . My sfz scipts are simple. I have various folders ( Kicks, Snares, HiHats and so on). With a double click, a mapped ( NI battery 4 type ) sfz preset is generated. I can then load in other samplers for experimentation :hyper: or scroll through sfz presets with mapping consistency. I have managed to gather samples through scripts using kfind on kde plasma. Once samples are found through kfind, they can be dragged into tal-drum then saved as tal-drum preset. I do lose the flexibility of experimenting with other samplers.

Return to “TAL Software”