Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

can't wait for what you guys do with shortcircuit :)
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:23 pm can't wait for what you guys do with shortcircuit :)
Neither can I! It was going to be my September but a team assembled around rack and that is also going to be very very exciting. Like I’m more excited about it than I expected!

baconpaul wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:56 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:23 pm can't wait for what you guys do with shortcircuit :)
Neither can I! It was going to be my September but a team assembled around rack and that is also going to be very very exciting. Like I’m more excited about it than I expected!
Nice. Looking forward to it :tu:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

An FR for rack modules would be optional config-file adjustable horizontal border widths and colors. This feaux spacing between modules would make it much easier to keep them sorted in the back of the mind. To me, these rack things look like a jumbled mess without small border zones, and it's far easier to work in more standard gui's. U-he's hardware module and the ColourCopy and even Synth1 plugins, utilize colors in various ways, so maybe border colors could be user-defined according to personal preference.
Thanks for all your efforts and the great results! :hyper:

glokraw wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:12 pm
An FR for rack modules would be optional config-file adjustable horizontal border widths and colors. This feaux spacing between modules would make it much easier to keep them sorted in the back of the mind. To me, these rack things look like a jumbled mess without small border zones, and it's far easier to work in more standard gui's. U-he's hardware module and the ColourCopy and even Synth1 plugins, utilize colors in various ways, so maybe border colors could be user-defined according to personal preference.
Thanks for all your efforts and the great results! :hyper:
Oh that’s interesting, there’s a stormelder add on not in the library where you can put sticky notes on panels. I wonder if the same technique could overlay borders.

Since the open source plugin Dynation seems abandon and the bugs regarding recalling and loading presets is still a thing I thought I would ask if it could be possible to include it in Surge Effects Bank some day in the future.

viewtopic.php?t=580436
https://github.com/Vertver/Dynation/releases/tag/1.3

I found it to be too good to just let it be, well at least on drums...but I see no reason it would not be usefull on other sounds as well...

Kr3eM wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:32 pm Since the open source plugin Dynation seems abandon and the bugs regarding recalling and loading presets is still a thing I thought I would ask if it could be possible to include it in Surge Effects Bank some day in the future.

viewtopic.php?t=580436

I found it to be too good to just let it be, well at least on drums...but I see no reason it would not be usefull on other sounds as well...
That one seems fun but is extremely prone to crashing Reaper. I would love the Surge Synth Team taking it under its wing. But I'm afraid they already have some pretty big chunks on their plate.

SeBaer wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:44 pm That one seems fun but is extremely prone to crashing Reaper. I would love the Surge Synth Team taking it under its wing. But I'm afraid they already have some pretty big chunks on their plate.
I got the impression that the crashes was mostly due to the GUI but I could be wrong...I mean it has issues with recalling settings in projects and what not...so I'm just guessing.

Just thought it was worth asking/mention it here, even if it doesn't happen right away I assume it at least increases the chance it could be included one day in the future....

Looking at that effect it doesn't seem like anything what we don't have already. Bitcrusher - Airwindows has a few flavors. Compression - same...

Well we don't have a tilt EQ I guess, and none of the airwindows comps have the typical parameter set of attack, release etc. But it should definitely be more than possible to chain together fx to create a similar thing with the current FX, so I agree this might be a little redundant.

If there's someone out there who would want to do the work of porting it, I'm not gonna oppose it tho! But there are some other pretty big projects lined up for the team, so I don't think this is a priority right now.

I understand you got other priorities, just asking... although I find the answers a little but weird, like "we already have bitcrusher and compressor at home".... we all know it's not that simple as "it does what it says on the tin", well unless one lack the discernment that is.

With that said, I appreciate the consideration and are not here to argue, you are all doing great work :tu: and I won't be taking more of your time.

@evildragon - soooo... sadly i was pretty busy the last year and did not find the time to follow up. just came back to check what's going on with surge. my biggest question - is the feature now perhaps implemented to be able to set the startphase of the oscs? just asking...

other than that i can't wait to see what you guys come up with in terms of short cirquit. thanks for keeping on, guys. :tu:
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

brok landers wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:53 pm @evildragon - soooo... sadly i was pretty busy the last year and did not find the time to follow up. just came back to check what's going on with surge. my biggest question - is the feature now perhaps implemented to be able to set the startphase of the oscs? just asking...

other than that i can't wait to see what you guys come up with in terms of short cirquit. thanks for keeping on, guys. :tu:
This for an annoying reason is a very hard festure to implement so it is still not in the synth

Kr3eM wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:32 pm Since the open source plugin Dynation seems abandon and the bugs regarding recalling and loading presets is still a thing I thought I would ask if it could be possible to include it in Surge Effects Bank some day in the future.

viewtopic.php?t=580436

From a 5 minute drive by of the repo it looks like tbis would be a lot of work. It’s a vst2 windows only using imgui which is tough to make work in plugin environments with quite a bit of ui and dsp intermixed. Not saying the plugin is bad but it’s not as easy as “oh here’s another juce plugin can you port to cmake and start a nightly” - lot more investment here if we wanted to make this one feel more like our other properties

Always happy to help open source devs though if folks want to take it on! Just I think for us it would sit well behind rack shortcircuit Monique bstep and stochas refreshes and also the next version of surge.

baconpaul wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:06 pm From a 5 minute drive by of the repo it looks like tbis would be a lot of work. It’s a vst2 windows only using imgui which is tough to make work in plugin environments with quite a bit of ui and dsp intermixed. Not saying the plugin is bad but it’s not as easy as “oh here’s another juce plugin can you port to cmake and start a nightly” - lot more investment here if we wanted to make this one feel more like our other properties

Always happy to help open source devs though if folks want to take it on! Just I think for us it would sit well behind rack shortcircuit Monique bstep and stochas refreshes and also the next version of surge.
No worries, I understand, thanks anyway...

Return to “Instruments”