OTO BIM vst alternative?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, can anyone recommend a vst substitute for OTO BIM delay?

My focus is the sound quality and how it sits in a mix.

Modular Manfred wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:29 pm Hi, can anyone recommend a vst substitute for OTO BIM delay?

I'd probably start with ValhallaDelay in "Digital" mode with Era set to "Past". That should get you an old-school, crunchy, companded/expanded, low-ish bit rate delay.

I have an OTO BAM and I think of it as the closest thing I've found to ValhallaVintageVerb in hardware.

Both companies seem to have similar tastes when it comes to reverbs/delays.

You may want to check Primal Tap from Soundtoys too. Old school digital delay, great sound.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:33 pm
Modular Manfred wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:29 pm Hi, can anyone recommend a vst substitute for OTO BIM delay?

I'd probably start with ValhallaDelay in "Digital" mode with Era set to "Past". That should get you an old-school, crunchy, companded/expanded, low-ish bit rate delay.

I have an OTO BAM and I think of it as the closest thing I've found to ValhallaVintageVerb in hardware.

It’s interesting because I have BAM as well and BAM is the reason I don’t like Valhalla Vintage. It just gets lost in a mix whereas BAM sits nicely like most vintage digital reverb would. I have found Waves H-Reverb much closer to BAM in terms of that ‘hardware’ sound and how it behaves in the mix.

I might try the delay 👍

I’ve got Bim so I haven’t looked for a software alternative, but reading the description here: https://www.otomachines.com/product/bim/
Should give a couple ideas…

The digital side happens at the end, so think Saturation (warming & high frequency reduction) into bit reduction.

Now the delay section Im assuming is after the bit reduction but I’d play around with different saturators (subtle “warming” effect) and placement of the delay effect.

One thing to watch out for (if you’re still recording live) will be latency on the saturation choice.

Using multiple plugins might be your best shot, but Bim does sound amazingly good.

Modular Manfred wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:17 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:33 pm

It’s interesting because I have BAM as well and BAM is the reason I don’t like Valhalla Vintage. It just gets lost in a mix whereas BAM sits nicely like most vintage digital reverb would. I have found Waves H-Reverb much closer to BAM in terms of that ‘hardware’ sound and how it behaves in the mix.

I might try the delay 👍
Bam to my ears is a cleaner sound compared to VVV, which was built with artifacts to replicate some of the character from certain reverb units he was modeling the sound of.
I think have H-Reverb but haven’t tried it.

As an OTO Machines fanatic I can tell you after years of comparisons that no vst delay sounds as good as BIM. Valhalla delay in digital mode doesn’t have the same characteristics. Primal Tap emulates a different lexicon delay, but IMHO it doesn’t remotely sound like the super prime time.

Propbs the closest are the PSP lexicon delays and the UAD digital delays.

BIM is a magic dust box

I would associate high quality with Fabfilter plugins (although I don't use them). So Fabfilter Timeless 3. I use ValhallaDSP plugins usually, and other plugins that are my favourite, but I don't question the quality of any of them. Recently have found Arturia's Eternity Delay to be particularly good, again not from a quality perspective but from how good and authentic the feedback is.

If you have questions over quality, then feel free to render your mix down in very high sample rates, or alternatively, use oversampling per effect if your DAW supports it.
<List your stupid gear here>

Don't get me wrong. I don't question the quality of any of these plugins. This thread is about OTO Bim delay 'alternative' and I just don't believe there is such thing. Every single one of those plugins are amazing at some things.

But none of them sound like a hardware vintage digital delay. Definitely not like PCM, BIM, or AMS RMX

audiouser720 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:30 am As an OTO Machines fanatic I can tell you after years of comparisons that no vst delay sounds as good as BIM. Valhalla delay in digital mode doesn’t have the same characteristics. Primal Tap emulates a different lexicon delay, but IMHO it doesn’t remotely sound like the super prime time.

BIM is a magic dust box
Ask them to make plugins! :lol:

I've got a BAM and love it. But ITB, I'm not looking for a clone. Plugins like VVV or the LX-24 are close enough and do something similar without sounding exactly the same. Good enough IMO.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:07 pm
audiouser720 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:30 am As an OTO Machines fanatic I can tell you after years of comparisons that no vst delay sounds as good as BIM. Valhalla delay in digital mode doesn’t have the same characteristics. Primal Tap emulates a different lexicon delay, but IMHO it doesn’t remotely sound like the super prime time.

BIM is a magic dust box
Ask them to make plugins! :lol:

I've got a BAM and love it. But ITB, I'm not looking for a clone. Plugins like VVV or the LX-24 are close enough and do something similar without sounding exactly the same. Good enough IMO.
I agree on LX-24 totally. Did you find a delay that is good enough to BIM?

Tbf it would be awesome if they made plugins, like Strymon did

The Relab LX480 v4 might be a good option. They did a full circuit modeling of the original hardware that sounds amazing, I use it just for saturation sometimes, but obviously it blends nicely into the dual delays as well. It's pricey but I think it's actually on sale right now.

hey212 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:36 pm The Relab LX480 v4 might be a good option. They did a full circuit modeling of the original hardware that sounds amazing, I use it just for saturation sometimes, but obviously it blends nicely into the dual delays as well. It's pricey but I think it's actually on sale right now.
50% off right now, not bad. Not a BAM or a BIM, but I always see lots of praise for it.

https://relabdevelopment.com/lx480-dual-engine-reverb/

I’ve never used a BIM, but one trick that Bitwig users can do is to put a bit and rate reducer (I like NI’s Bite) and an analog filter emulation that’s got a drive feature, inside Bitwig Delay’s feedback loop. If you don’t have Bitwig, you could try Bluecat’s Late Replies, which allows you to put various effects in the feedback path including hosting VSTS.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:57 pm I’ve never used a BIM, but one trick that Bitwig users can do is to put a bit and rate reducer (I like NI’s Bite) and an analog filter emulation that’s got a drive feature, inside Bitwig Delay’s feedback loop. If you don’t have Bitwig, you could try Bluecat’s Late Replies, which allows you to put various effects in the feedback path including hosting VSTS.
Yes but no but yes but no. I get what you are saying but it's not how BIM works. This won't emulate the nonlinearities caused by the interaction of the analog components. The 12 bit isn't just like a bitrcusher either.

Return to “Effects”