UADx Opal Morphing Synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm aware this one will be a miss for a lot of people, cause UAD, subscription, iLok, who needs another Wavetable synth, yada yada.

But.

If you think a sub to UAD might work for you and like analog sounding synths I really recommend giving this a try. Cause it sounds divine. Even just the basic oscillator and filter tone. It's sort of a RePro5 meets Massive X. And it has dual continuously state variable filters, which neither of those have. FM and Sync sounds are some of the best I've heard. Great internal FX including an awesome comb filter. Wavetable part is a little rudimentary compared to others but I can live with that given how good it sounds.

I'm really surprised there's virtually no discussion about this thing online. I guess nobody needs another Wavetable synth. But yeah. If you're willing to put up with the caveats and care about analog sonics this is definitely worth a try.

I heard that Spark is not coming to Windows until this month.

Spark came to Windows a few days ago.
I had bought their moog then their waterfall (B3) about 3 months ago, tried Opal then too. It never moved me.
Different strokes.. different folks.

rsp
sound sculptist

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Does anyone know if the synth runs on UA's pcie cards? I might just be interested in buying the synth perpetually if it runs on their hardware for Windows, instead of the subscription.

no it runs native.... all their synths run native...

But you can buy it outright for currently $199US

rsp
sound sculptist

Does OPAL have a pre-configured MIDI Assignment? I was very disappointed that the UAD Minimoog has hardwired MIDI mappings. Made it a nightmare to work around in Reaper to finally get it going with my System-8 (had to use a JSFX to remap a bunch of CC's then combine other parameters with Reaper's own Learn system). Some parameters have no automation at all and just could not be controlled either in Reaper or via MIDI. I get that instruments are new UA, but they really implemented a very poor method of hands-on instrument control with the Minimoog that's basically in the stone age.

I really hope MIDI Learn and exposing more parameters to automation is high on the to-do list if they're going to keep developing instruments. This otherwise isn't acceptable.

Does the synth support MPE, MTS-ESP resp. *.scl or *.tun Files?

I just tried it, and I think I rather have Icarus 2, which can be bought from Thomann for $113.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:58 pm Does OPAL have a pre-configured MIDI Assignment? I was very disappointed that the UAD Minimoog has hardwired MIDI mappings. Made it a nightmare to work around in Reaper to finally get it going with my System-8 (had to use a JSFX to remap a bunch of CC's then combine other parameters with Reaper's own Learn system). Some parameters have no automation at all and just could not be controlled either in Reaper or via MIDI. I get that instruments are new UA, but they really implemented a very poor method of hands-on instrument control with the Minimoog that's basically in the stone age.

I really hope MIDI Learn and exposing more parameters to automation is high on the to-do list if they're going to keep developing instruments. This otherwise isn't acceptable.
It's working fine for me in Ableton with Push2. All the parameter you'd expect to map are exposable in the DAW.

dubguy99 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:14 am It's working fine for me in Ableton with Push2. All the parameter you'd expect to map are exposable in the DAW.
Good to know. Thanks! I think they missed the mark on the Minimoog, but hopefully they improve MIDI control and automation on that one.

I should have picked it up when it was on sale a short while ago.

I think it sounds pretty great. Quite solid and present sound.

Some nice sounds in here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buoS8VpN0EI

_leras wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:33 pm I should have picked it up when it was on sale a short while ago.

I think it sounds pretty great. Quite solid and present sound.

Some nice sounds in here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buoS8VpN0EI
This sounds incredible

Everything UAD flies under the radar here.

I agree this sounds really good.

I`m so getting used to the card & fx system,
I have problems to get my head around the more recent development.
can some point me in the right direction?
(I`m mainly interested of extending fx with their vsti`s).

Quote myself over at GS (no reply):
"Interesting development, at this point it looks like this:
if one does have a UAD2 card, purchased plugins get ported.
Further purchases remain card related & get ported later
(except the few ported already).

Card owners cannot purchase ported Luna content via Spark
and must follow a subscription model to access them.

Is current state of deal properly reflected for card owners?"
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

Return to “Instruments”