Secrets

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I have been doing lots of research in my forays for getting back into composition and recording and up-to-date again after a long hiatus...

In doing so, I've some across some things that don't appear to be known or well-known (not even to the plugin developers themselves), or at least not obviously-known in any case...

I guess what I am trying to say from my 'closet' is if any of you have secrets too that you're unwilling or at least not easily-willing to part with or to tell anyone about, not even to your 'special someone', certainly not those somehow into music (yikes).

I am not asking for the secrets, themselves, though, (...unless you want to, because, I mean, we all have needs, right?, and that's nothing to be ashamed of...) but maybe just some sort of chat to the outside and then in to another closet from within our own respective closets, or something...

Maybe we'll get nowhere with this thread, who knows... (LOL)
"The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself... Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable..." ~ H.L. Mencken

Dynamic Wave Wavetables

Ok, fine... I'll come out of the closet briefly to share one of my secret thoughts... just with you, Baby...

You have wavetable synthesis, but the tables as often represented as a kind of 3D block, seem like just static surfaces with some fancy laser-line going over them as a designation for what you're hearing at that point or slice. Right? But the waves in their tables stay the same.

So my secret thought about that:

You have a body of water, say a pool that is represented by a kind of 3D block. The difference to the aforementioned block is that the surface is dynamic; with waves, ripples and so on.
Now, you have 3D programs like Blender that, presumably (yes, I know, 'presume nothing'), can give you your animated pool, perhaps via some sort of math. So how about going and getting that math and putting it into a wavetable synth? Maybe this has already been done?

Newfangled Audio's Generate?

As an aside, if you're going to talk about additive synthesis, should it be included? If you turn down or off all the math, all I seem to get is a sine sound.
"The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself... Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable..." ~ H.L. Mencken

...Which leads me to another secret... I mean, since I'm out of the closet... might as well:

Hypothesis:

Newfangled Audio's Generate is an additive synthesizer (that never seems to get mentioned in the additive synth lists/comments here at KVR. So presumably, then, it is not one. Or is it? And if so, might it kind of function in a similar sense as my previous secret?)

Borbolactic wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:11 am ...Which leads me to another secret... I mean, since I'm out of the closet... might as well:

Hypothesis:

Newfangled Audio's Generate is an additive synthesizer (that never seems to get mentioned in the additive synth lists/comments here at KVR. So presumably, then, it is not one. Or is it? And if so, might it kind of function in a similar sense as my previous secret?)
Maybe you can tell that to the support team at Newfangled Audio.

3D Animation/Dynamic-Modelling Math (To Say Nothing ATM About AI Or Genetic Algo Math), Applied To Software Synthesizers
Korg Supporter wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:40 am
Borbolactic wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:11 am ...Which leads me to another secret... I mean, since I'm out of the closet... might as well:

Hypothesis:

Maybe you can tell that to the support team at Newfangled Audio.
Would they already know that, though, about their own product, despite any 'counterhype' that might be prevalent and that they feel might be somewhat necessary, such as in the face of a over a decade of 'analog-hardware-emulation fetish and additive synth counter-fetish' (that might have formed some kinds of drags on some kinds of innovations in the rush onto that particular bandwagon)?

I just got their synth, Generate...
Limited experience with it so far, but if I 'turn off most everything', all that seems left is what sounds like a fundamental sine wave. (Perhaps, ultimately, that is the case with most all synths: Just math as 'virtual sine wave oscillators and their fx/filters/mods/etc.' and a kind of reverse of that for physical-modelling synths.)

If one runs many copies of a 'sine' 'across a virtual surface to create that very surface' (think of a wavetable represented in 3D in some synths), and then applies fractal/chaotic math to it, maybe you get a landscape/surface that then moves/undulates or can move/undulate like the surface of water.
So that if you continuously sample a cross-section of it between any two points, you get a constantly-evolving/morphing/undulating waveform and sound.
And that's pretty much what Newfangled bills its Generate synth as-- fractal/chaotic. Go take a look/listen if you already haven't.

Just because Newfangled and others might call or describe their synths one thing or the other doesn't necessarily mean that whatever's insinuated by it is precisely what's going on 'under the hood'.

In any case, even if Newfangled Audio is not doing that under the hood with Generate, perhaps others are or maybe would do well to, yes?

We already seem to have much of the math such as in 3D programs like Blender, Maya and the like.

Breeder/Evolving-Dynamic/AI Synths?

...Continuing on from my immediately-preceding comment, and elaborating on another 'secret admission' (cuz I just can't help myself outside the closet here, I feel so free), have you ever heard of the site, Artbreeder.com?

So what does that have to do with software synthesizers?

Well, why just do that with images?

Is this meant to be a serious thread or a Q Anon for music thread?

Also, OP is keeping secrets.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

I guess I am just trying to look more under the hood of all these noisemakers.

[SIGGRAPH 2018] Toward Wave-based Sound Synthesis for Computer Animation

"The following animation sounds were generated by our synthesis algorithm."

https://youtu.be/su6z9snjU-U
"Abstract

...Since time-domain wave synthesis is expensive, we only simulate pressure waves in a small region about each sound source, then estimate a far-field pressure signal. To further improve scalability beyond multi-threading, we propose a fully time-parallel sound synthesis method that is demonstrated on commodity cloud computing resources."
"I'm starting to think that if Pink Floyd had formed in 2010 that they'd never have released a single album. They would have sat around imagining tools that could have done things in some vaguely more glamorous or efficient way, while never recording a thing.

Either that, or they'd have recorded twice as much music, which would all have been completely ignored by a world with an increasingly short attention span..."
~ Herodotus

wake n bake? happy sunday :party:

I don't have any buds but do have chicken

so I had shake n bake

I can barely walk and the walls are melting
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”