Felt Instruments Smugi

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Felt Instruments (a company I’m not really familiar with) just released Smugi, a 1960s filter bank clone, on 9/29 and don’t think I’ve seen it mentioned here. It looked interesting enough to me that I purchased it and am pretty darn impressed. It’s really heavy on CPU but sounds great, has a uniquely inspiring GUI and tons of tweak-ability.

Check it out here:
https://www.feltinstruments.com/smugi

There is a cool video on there talking about the original filter bank and how he went about making Smugi.

*Felt Instruments appears to be a one-man operation so maybe he needs a little help getting the word out. I really like it and am glad to have stumbled across it.

They also make a filter called "Rysy" which I really like also. I'm going to grab Smugi for sure, looks like a good one. This guy does really good work.

seangm wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:44 pm They also make a filter called "Rysy" which I really like also. I'm going to grab Smugi for sure, looks like a good one. This guy does really good work.
I picked up the Pioneer bundle with both Smugi and Rysy and really like them both.

Very interesting developer. I demoed Smugi and liked it quite a bit. Probably priced a bit high for me to buy as I dont think I would use it enough. But on the good side - he doesnt do mega discounts so I can take my time thinking about it.

Sounds cool and I love filterbanks - I'd buy it if it wasn't so stupidely CPU heavy. Makes it practically unuseable in real projects for me. Or at least had a low CPU mode without feedback or something.

Okay, after more testing I've got to say, this thing sounds awesome and is super unique. Just wish it wasn't so CPU heavy. Two instances take 50% of my CPU LOL

Bottom of Smugi's page, "limitations" paragraph.

Tried the demo. Madness. I have one of must powerful cpu in the market with 32 gb of ram and it uses 28% cpu in FL Studio. Only one instance. Can't believe it is due only to the filters. So sorry becuse the dev is a nice guy but this is a no go for me.

Return to “Effects”