Best "music theory plugin" advice?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'd rather just buy midi packs with chord progressions and not use plugins. Personal preference.

I bought Scaler 2 because I heard good things and it was on sale, but didn't use it yet, since I only bought it to learn more about scales and chord progressions. But now I rather consult HookTheory.com for this purpose.

The Chase wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:41 pm Does Nuffink still post here?
Nope, unles he uses a different member name
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2095
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

i really like scaler, but i also learn piano roll scale through many youtube tutorials

A subset of the Reaper Reatrak scripts (the full setup is a bit overkill for me), Chordgun (also only for Reaper, but Sundog can be an alternative), RapidComposer (by far the most powerful in my opinion, but it takes time to master)

FREMADETHIS wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:22 am I'd rather just buy midi packs with chord progressions and not use plugins. Personal preference.
Someones been watching too many YouTube adds.

Just learn a bit of theory, and play.

In fairness, once you know some theory it's easier to use this information to tweak and improve midi data from a chord pack than it is to add features to a plugin.

But yeah, it also doesn't take long to play in or draw in the chords you want...

https://www.mucoder.net/en/tonespace

Tonespace is really useful for learning, check it out!

Very interesting thread. Would love to have a VST that helps with MIDI creation/ suggestions

I use Tonespace by Mucoder, its pretty comprehensive...and free ! Would like to go down the paid route at some point for more creative features.

My favorite is probably Suggester. It just gives you a big list of chords, organized according to their characteristics. All of the chords are either in your chosen scale, or "commonly borrowed".

http://www.mathieurouthier.com/suggester/

On iOS, I also like ChordPolyPad and Tonality. I would like to see a plugin with a convenient interface for finding, collecting, organizing, and playing chords.

_leras wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:55 am
FREMADETHIS wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:22 am I'd rather just buy midi packs with chord progressions and not use plugins. Personal preference.
Someones been watching too many YouTube adds.

Just learn a bit of theory, and play.
Oh no, don't get me wrong. I do know theory. It's just faster to start ideas with midi packs. And yes I'm speaking from the experience of someone who's had many placements. Whatever gets the idea quicker and gets you to create more beats. More for me. Plus you can always just add your secondary dominants in between the chords or voice it a diff way or add extensions and make it your own should you wanna spice it up a little.

Return to “Production Techniques”