The Mysterious Synapse-Audio HZ

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Memorymoog is kind of bad. I think the "idea" of the memorymoog became popular because in the early 2000s the site that everyone went to to get vintage synth info said something about how it was "the king of moogs" or something like that because it was "like 6 minimoogs in one!". But it's not. It's like 6 noisy distorted minimoogs getting crushed in a trash compactor.

It can make some cool sounds but is very limited and I hope no one with very strong emulation chops spends a ton of time on it when there's much better synths that they could go after. The Cherry audio version is good enough IMO.

briefcasemanx wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:59 am Memorymoog is kind of bad. I think the "idea" of the memorymoog became popular because in the early 2000s the site that everyone went to to get vintage synth info said something about how it was "the king of moogs" or something like that because it was "like 6 minimoogs in one!". But it's not. It's like 6 noisy distorted minimoogs getting crushed in a trash compactor.

It can make some cool sounds but is very limited and I hope no one with very strong emulation chops spends a ton of time on it when there's much better synths that they could go after. The Cherry audio version is good enough IMO.
I feel bad for your Memorymoog if that's how you made it sound.
One of the most special synths out there and the Cherry audio version does not even come close to the sound and behavior of it (IMHO of course).

I'll just leave this here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmN9KaBILQ8

Yeah, I mean, that sounds great to me. I've been hoping the Synapse Memorymoog would come out sooner rather than later, so if this is it, awesome. Those knobs do look right.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:53 pm Yeah, I mean, that sounds great to me. I've been hoping the Synapse Memorymoog would come out sooner rather than later, so if this is it, awesome. Those knobs do look right.
The knobs on the Memorymoog are completely different though.His shirt has the mini/voyager knob.

tony10000 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:18 am
chk071 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:50 am Can anyone post the picture in full size? It's reduced in size, and I'm not registered to that site, so I can't see it full size.

Who is the guy on the picture?

Oh wait... it's that... Kevin dude. :)
Kevin Schroeder

And the knob looks like it is from The Legend. So maybe it will be "The Legend HZ"?
thats a mini moog knob
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Buckster wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:24 pm My guess would be Dune 3 HZ.

Was Dune 3 used on any soundtrack recently - wasn't that route Zebra 2 went down ?
Yeah Dune with HZ Moog filters.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sound sculptist

Legend already does the polyphonic Minimoog thing pretty well, I don't have a personal desire to have a 100%(ymmv) emulated Memorymoog, to be honest...

beely wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:16 pm Legend already does the polyphonic Minimoog thing pretty well, I don't have a personal desire to have a 100%(ymmv) emulated Memorymoog, to be honest...
The Memorymoog is way more than a poly Minimoog though. I know that's like the first thing Vintage Synth Musuem says when you Google it, but just look at the panel (e.g. more modulation options, completely different oscillators) and you'll see it's considerably different. I think it even used the same voice chips at the Prophet.

The Cherry Audio one didn't grab my fancy, but if that were indeed what Synapse was up to, I'd certainly be interested.

My guess is:
Moog Mother 32
:lol:

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:25 pm The Memorymoog is way more than a poly Minimoog though. I know that's like the first thing Vintage Synth Musuem says when you Google it, but just look at the panel (e.g. more modulation options, completely different oscillators) and you'll see it's considerably different.
I know what it is, and as someone who was into synths back in the actual eighties, and runs a popular vintage synth/gear archive site, I'm more than aware of the specs, and the news and reviews of the time, and it's place in history in context.

You'll understand what I mean with my succinct comment though as the Memorymoog was indeed designed with a "polyphonic Minimoog" philosphy at it's heart - you don't need to take that literally as if they were trying to put *exactly* six Minimoogs in a box with no changes - it's not that - but in spirit. How well the design achieves that, or goes beyond it or falls short of it is of course up for opinion.

And as I said, Legend does that "polyphonic Minimoog" thing (again, in spirit) plenty well for me, so I'm not particularly jazzed about a Memorymoog emulation. I never found it a particularly appealing instrument personally - same reason I'm not that interested in the Cherry Audio one. ymmv, of course.

beely wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:55 pm ..... I never found it a particularly appealing instrument personally - same reason I'm not that interested in the Cherry Audio one. ymmv, of course.
With you here.
As I recall it was plagued with unreliability issues, but that aside the sound never appealed to me and the video someone posted above left me scratching my head.
Indeed, different strokes for different folks.

rsp
sound sculptist

We already know Rich is working on a Memory Moog and a P-600 emulation. This is has to be something previously unannounced and made just for HZ for film scoring. My guess is some sort of MPE workstation synth with modelled filters.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

zvenx wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:12 pm
beely wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:55 pm ..... I never found it a particularly appealing instrument personally - same reason I'm not that interested in the Cherry Audio one. ymmv, of course.
With you here.
As I recall it was plagued with unreliability issues, but that aside the sound never appealed to me and the video someone posted above left me scratching my head.
Indeed, different strokes for different folks.

rsp
Yep. Different strokes indeed. I thought that video sounded great. Granted, I've got other VA's that can do those sounds pretty similarly, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't buy a Synapse Memorymoog. I totally would. As long as it weren't similarly plagued with reliability issues (which, as I understand, is also the case with the Moog One).

Return to “Instruments”