Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Artist Studio One Professional

dlandis wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:13 pm
EnGee wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:21 pm
darkinners wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:50 pm
nusound mind wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:34 pm Has the cpu hit improved in 6? How does it compare to previous versions? Multithreading and so forth?
I don't notice any improvement in this regard, however, S1 is pretty efficient as it is compared to Ableton Live to say the least, it's much more efficient.
Probably only Logic or Reaper can top S1.
Yes, the CPU seems the same but the loading times is different! In Windows, it is much slower scanning the VST plugins and it takes a long time (relatively) to open a small project of 6 to 8 tracks! v5.5 is much faster in Windows.

In Mac however, it is fast. Although Logic is still much faster to start and open projects, but compared to Windows, S1 v6 is faster and seems better in Mac (mini M1). I have a more powerful computer with Windows than with Mac! Ryzen 5800X with 32GB and M.2 NVMe 1TB SSD card compared to mini Mac M1 with 16GB/512GB.

Cubase 12 is much better in CPU in Mac than in Windows! Overall Cubase is much better in Mac. The hosts with identical (or very similar performance) are Live, Bitwig and Reaper in my case. So, in short, S1 v5.5 has a better performance than v6 overall, and S1, Cubase have better performance in Mac.
This is weird; it seems faster on my Windows machine (i9-7900X, 32 GB, SSD, Win10 Pro) than 5.5. I haven't timed it, so this is just a subjective impression, but after the very first VST scan, it has seemed a bit faster. FWIW.
Well, it is a minor thing IMO. Because I just could disable scanning. The stability what it is important, and it seems very solid overall :) Anyway, they should make it load projects faster compared to other DAWs.

jamcat wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:17 pm Anyone who has purchased version 6, can different Customization presets be be applied to individual Mixer Views?

Did they do anything about the limited colour palette?
I have the feeling they didn't add any colors, I remember it was said in some S1 6 new features walkthrough video I think... But not 100% sure how trustworthy my memory is :help:

Not sure if the 3rd party color palette will work with S1 6 (can't remember the name of that thing right now).

Color Toolbar v2

https://s1scripts.wixsite.com/colortoolbar/download

It's a real pain the arse to work with, because it uses an RGB mixer, rather than a hex picker.
It helps to use a web source like https://colorpicker.me
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

I'm waiting to see what Steve Jobs daughter has to say ......

Who cares about more colors? Stock Cubase has 16. S1 stock has far more. But if colors are more important than actually putting down some vibrations then...
"and the Word was Sound..."
https://www.youtube.com/user/InLightTone

It's the #1 most requested feature, and has been for years.
But why should that be an either/or proposition?
It seems like a false dichotomy to me that you can only care about colours or vibrations.
In fact, colours are vibrations.

Can't make dem riddims without dem colors, man!

:)

k

EnGee wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:15 pmAnyway, they should make it load projects faster compared to other DAWs.
It's already two or three times faster than Cubase. That is the no. 1 reason I switched. I couldn't have imagined us ever using Cubase on stage, unless we had two computers - one could be loading while the other was playing.
jamcat wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:25 amIt's the #1 most requested feature, and has been for years.
All that tells you is that there is not much wrong with Studio One. That and the fact that most people aren't using Studio One for any serious work.
Last edited by BONES on Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Instead of pretty colours you now have 100s of icons that some may say give more information than a colour. Personally I was happy as it was.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

jamcat wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:25 am It's the #1 most requested feature, and has been for years.
But why should that be an either/or proposition?
It seems like a false dichotomy to me that you can only care about colours or vibrations.
In fact, colours are vibrations.
If you're a synaesthete, then the color IS the sound IS the track number.
:D

I can't imagine ever needing more than the 32 box of crayons, though. Custom colors would distract me far too much.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

InLight-Tone wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:01 am Who cares about more colors? Stock Cubase has 16. S1 stock has far more. But if colors are more important than actually putting down some vibrations then...
Cubase default starts with 16 but can go up to 128 (32X4) in Project Color Set up.
But the point is being able to customize. I am OK with 16 colors of my choosing.
Colors are not more important unless they are not helping and I find the color choices of Studio One hard to distinguish and tiring.

SLiC wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:26 amInstead of pretty colours you now have 100s of icons that some may say give more information than a colour. Personally I was happy as it was.
Yeah, when I saw the icon thing in Cubase I just laughed. It's such a Fisher-Price thing to have in there. The plugin thumbnails are even worse because they actively get in the way, something I didn't realise until I had wasted an evening snapshotting all of them.
syntonica wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:33 amI can't imagine ever needing more than the 32 box of crayons, though. Custom colors would distract me far too much.
It would definitely be a distraction for me because I wouldn't be able to resist, I'd have to use it all the time. As it is, I use pink for drums, bright reds, yellows and oranges for synths, dark red for guitars, greens for Kontakt stuff and the default grey for audio tracks. Oh, and blue for things I don't like but my bandmate puts in there (Pigments, Hive, etc.).
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

The Studio One 6 icons are at least tasteful, unlike Cakewalk or GarageBand’s.

And you can hide them in Studio One 6.

But they may actually come in handy for quickly identifying a track.

I will probably assign icons and then hide them anyways.

BONES wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:20 am It's already two or three times faster than Cubase. That is the no. 1 reason I switched. I couldn't have imagined us ever using Cubase on stage, unless we had two computers - one could be loading while the other was playing.
Yes, Cubase is slow loading and starting. I don't know though for many tracks how that would be because my projects are small with 8-10 tracks usually.

I'm curious to see how you're performing in a video, so I can understand your workflow better. I suppose you are loading only songs that has audio with no instruments, right?
I need to search your website for a live concert you did recently. Are you the guy singing in the front or the guy in the background playing? Sorry off topic.

Logic and Reaper are the fastest to start and load my 'small' projects. Maybe 10 times faster than Cubase and S1. Bitwig and Live are also faster than S1 and Cubase, but as my projects are small, so I only wait about 30 seconds to one minute, so no big deal for me while in Logic it is only 5 to 10 seconds.

I’m the cat with a trumpet.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”