Least favourite part of music creation?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

the irregularity of finding the lsd.

Not remembering that you learned this lesson through error and promised not to do it again but do it anyway.

Like forgetting to record an idea cleanly. It might be a good idea that's hard to replicate later, and when you realize you want to replicate it, it's just not coming out the same.

At least take photos of patches if on Eurorack/alligator clip land. :x

All the time spent on the necessary activities to *support* the music creation/production process, like staying on top of the many ongoing VST plugin and application updates (even if I appreciate the new features and bug fixes), maintaining a high-performing and reliable computer (incl. Windows updates and optimizations, troubleshooting), reading user manuals, etc.

Trying random ideas until something works. Especially with special effect synthesis and sample manipulation.

I'm just too impatient for that.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DAW management. Specifically excessive mouse clicking. I have as many shortcuts and tools to reduce mouse clicking as possible but ultimately there's always still too much mouse clicking. I hate it.

Propstar wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:31 am DAW management. Specifically excessive mouse clicking. I have as many shortcuts and tools to reduce mouse clicking as possible but ultimately there's always still too much mouse clicking. I hate it.
That's my favourite part :D When I am zoned out my hands to it themselves without thinking. Couldn't imagine working with real hardware, synths and constantly moving around. If it's in one screen, I can focus and get lost in it. Anything else would distract me in a second.
please Like, Comment and Subscribe!

time travelling.

came in here around 4.
i knocked up a quick, self playing, sonic boom/spacemen 3 type patch...
its now nearly nine.

Without question, the most annoying part is dealing with licenses, especially from those company's that keep making you login to use the software you already paid for and licensed several times on the same computer already.

I would prefer ilok any day over that.....
Last edited by PatchAdamz on Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

I can't say I've ever experienced that and the experience of installing everything on a new computer, which I do on a scarily regular basis, is so much easier these days than it was. That's mostly down to all the license manager/installer apps that are around now, like Native Access.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Propellerhands wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:01 pm
Hink wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:18 pm
I will take a synth, lock an arp or a sequence on it with the foot pedal and just take my guitar and jam over that.

I record tracks individually saving guitar for last because I love playing, a lot of songs take forever to finish because I love playing so. My songs like many I am sure evolves over time.

Again, I am from the old school, I spent decades learning songs by playing to the records. I record a lot, I'll even record a scratch pad idea, just a riff or two to remember and damn if after 51 years of playing guitar and copping other's songs off of recordings I sure hope I would be able to do the same with my recordings. :hihi:
I know I am derailing my own thread but whatever. As I understand you record everything straight to audio, but do you do a continuous recordings?

For example guitar, even if you want to change melodies midway through the track, or do you record in loops? I mean, record one riff/melody for one part of a song and then again different riff for the ending etc? And then combine those recording inside a DAW perhaps into a full track as per your example below?

Either way, it sounded pretty organic, but then again, it is live acoustic guitar so of course it won't sound digital :D
apologies for the length in between responses

First, I hope it sounded organic because it was just quickly done, the tambourine and the xylophone were just for s&g. Actually I have been working on something with it and when all the work we are having done on the house is complete and we have our party? One thing that I am not is that guy who sits down with just an acoustic guitar and sing alone...but I am going to :tu:

When I record I try my very hardest to keep all my guitar tracks complete start to finish, I will occasionally use punch, I dont copy and paste. Often when I play as I am an old lead guitarist each verse has slightly different things, I really love pinch harmonics so often there will be parts accented with them but I prefer each to have it's own character related to the moment and copy and paste is without character period imo. (that's just one of many examples)

I also refuse to use comping, back pre 2010 I worked hard on a song, it was a blues song and I decided to try the comping in Samp then (I'm guessing around 9 pro). I still have the song on my back-up machine but I hate it, again no character...mind you I may be the only one who notices said character, it is important to me and the character I am trying to put out and there is really my guitar.

Back before the turn of the century I was working in a music store in Davis Sq Somerville Mass, right down the street from Harvard SQ in Cambridge and right on the subway to Boston. I sold my own DX-7 to guy from NY for way more than it was worth (and I wanted multi timbral) and snatched up a basic Roland XP-10 from the store I was working at. That night I went home and did this in three hours, an Alesis SR-16, a Roland XP-10 and me playing a guitar I put together (Warmoth) through a sansamp GT2 pedal (I now have a nice collection of tube amps).

Sleeping Giant (named for the Mountains on Mount Desert Island near where I now live on the coast of Maine)

You see that's what I do, I love to play...I seriously find myself in this whole other space and I love it...I dont want to care if others like it, I dont want to be performing for others...I just want to go to my place and express myself anyway I feel without having any concerns of others tbh...I play for peace of heart and soul :wink:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I'm with you on that, it's just that I keep all that separate from what I/we record and release. To me it would feel too self-indulgent when I feel I am meant to be entertaining the audience. Of course, if you can do both, then why not but for me they are two very different things, best kept separate.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Hink wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:29 am
You see that's what I do, I love to play...I seriously find myself in this whole other space and I love it...I dont want to care if others like it, I dont want to be performing for others...I just want to go to my place and express myself anyway I feel without having any concerns of others tbh...I play for peace of heart and soul :wink:
Thank you so much for the answers. It is the same (or very similar) for me, music offers me peace from this mad world and is like an escapism. And yeah, generally speaking that's how people express themselves and I think it is crucial to human happiness to do at least one thing that you love (and feel a calling) instead of just grinding and grinding until you die one day. I never wanted such life.
please Like, Comment and Subscribe!

None of us ever asked for the lives we've got.

vurt wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:46 pm time travelling.

came in here around 4.
i knocked up a quick, self playing, sonic boom/spacemen 3 type patch...
its now nearly nine.
Ah! But isn’t the loss - the feeling that time ceases to exist - what makes us immortal.
Probably the greatest thing that creativity - amongst other things - gives us mortals. Takes us away from ourselves, our problems, the other...
These are the moments - funny contradiction that - I live for.
Lost in time. Great!!!!
I find mixing extremely tedious, especially as I’m not good at it:(
Give me a keyboard some sounds and a computer and.... “Oh! Is that the time...”

automation
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”