Cubase Pro 12 pleasantly surprised

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not being convinced by version 6 of Studio One Pro, I said to myself, I will invest the sum for Cubase Pro 12.

I love Studio One Pro, but a little disappointed with this version 6.

On the other hand pleasantly surprised by Cubase Pro 12.

Ease of installation, I created buses for my synths.

Lots of mouse clicks, but only once.

My experience with Cubase is very limited, I'm just starting out.

But after some tests, Cubase not so bad after all.

Really? Having come from there, I find it extremely clunky now when I have to go back. I can get my work done but I can't get the same flow going that has been so effortless from the get-go in Studio One. And for me, the Cubase upgrade is almost as expensive as the Studio One upgrade, even with 40% off! (Au$180 v Au$220)

Just out of interest, why did you need to be convinced by v6? Why couldn't you continue to be happy with v5.5?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

If Cubase will have an option to customize UI, like S1 in V6, there will be no difference for me, between S1 and Cubase. They are almost the same. 90% of shortcuts are the same. And now, S1 has channel overview like in Cubase.

Serhii Kot wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:56 am And now, S1 has channel overview like in Cubase.
No!
S1 has now 50% of the channel editor of Cubase... but sadly just the more unimportant 50% ...

It lacks of the Pre Section, the EQ and the channel strip and especially the inbuilt Pre Section and EQ is what makes the work in the channel editor so fast and convinient in Cubase!

The problem since quite some time of Studio One or better Presonus is that they do a lot of copycat but mostly worse than the original... just their own ideas are substancial but their copies are uncomplete and worse to use...

I myself just decided to ditch Studio One and purchased a competitive crossgrade to Cubase 12 Pro for $180. Let's see how it works out.
Ableton Live | Numark Party Mix II | Arturia MINILAB 3

Trancer wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:05 am Not being convinced by version 6 of Studio One Pro, I said to myself, I will invest the sum for Cubase Pro 12.

I'm surprised that it's so easy to convince people to switch to another DAW... I would never switch for the reason of a new paid upgrade not convincing me.

chk071 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:49 am
Trancer wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:05 am Not being convinced by version 6 of Studio One Pro, I said to myself, I will invest the sum for Cubase Pro 12.

I'm surprised that it's so easy to convince people to switch to another DAW... I would never switch for the reason of a new paid upgrade not convincing me.
Maybe it's something that we needed from the paid upgrade that we were looking forward to for a long long time, and expected it to be a part of this upgrade, and when that doesn't happen, it means waiting for the next upgrade, and if that happens. So it can get tiresome waiting for something you want for a long time, meanwhile it being present in other already available DAW. Can you still work without upgrading, sure. But it's not always that fun and it's simply personal preference at this point. Plus these huge discounts are really tempting lol.
Ableton Live | Numark Party Mix II | Arturia MINILAB 3

musicproducerdee wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:14 am
chk071 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:49 am

Maybe it's something that we needed from the paid upgrade that we were looking forward to for a long long time, and expected it to be a part of this upgrade, and when that doesn't happen, it means waiting for the next upgrade, and if that happens. S
So what is this long awaited feature that the OP discovered in Cubase 12?

Doesn't sound like that was the reason to switch at all. Rather that Cubase generally suits the OP more, which is unrelated to the v6 update.

Fair enough, but, it sounds like the whole reason to switch was the "meh" v6 update, which is something I can't relate to. I don't care at all if the latest update is meh, when I can just go on using my version.

On the other hand, it might exactly be what you get with Cubase: Loads of "Yes, I want another paid upgrade with lots of stuff in it!". Might be the better DAW in that regard indeed.

Trancit wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:02 am It lacks of the Pre Section, the EQ and the channel strip and especially the inbuilt Pre Section and EQ is what makes the work in the channel editor so fast and convinient in Cubase!
Well, not really, as you can use your own native or third party plugins and expose the parameters directly in the mixer console.

As much as I love the concept of Cubase channel strips, the compressors I never get good results from, and the UI can be incredibly small and frustrating (Display dependant of course).

The pre section I use a lot in Cubase, but it is super easy to throw a stock Presonus EQ for pres and cuts, and will take no more CPU than Cubase - You can even set the EQ to default on tracks that you create.

On review, I think I prefer to have the flexibility as provided by S1..... Once you want to do things your way in Cubase like this, you are stuck to 8 "quick" parameters and absolutely no ability to create your own toolbars.

I'm starting to like Reaper and S1 a lot more because of the flexibility afforded, and both allow you customisable inline controls for plugins directly in the mixer view.

skijumptoes wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:18 am
Trancit wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:02 am It lacks of the Pre Section, the EQ and the channel strip and especially the inbuilt Pre Section and EQ is what makes the work in the channel editor so fast and convinient in Cubase!
Well, not really, as you can use your own native or third party plugins and expose the parameters directly in the mixer console.

As much as I love the concept of Cubase channel strips, the compressors I never get good results from, and the UI can be incredibly small and frustrating (Display dependant of course).

The pre section I use a lot in Cubase, but it is super easy to throw a stock Presonus EQ for pres and cuts, and will take no more CPU than Cubase - You can even set the EQ to default on tracks that you create.

I cannot agree here... sorry...

1. The magic is exactly not having to throw in your own plugins but to have everything ready to go... you save a whole lot of extra clicks and plugin browsing, plugin opening...etc...

2. This exposing of parameters is for me a very nerdy way of accessing the parameters... how useful is to have sliders without any GUI for treating an EQ??? And the way S1´s native EQ is shown, is imho a gimmick and far from being really useful compared to the Cubase internal one.
I never used this in S1 and would never do if I would continue to use S1 in future...
Cubase nailed this system since quite some time and no other DAW came anyway close in this workflow...

3. I don´t like or use the channelstrip so this is the least point lacking in S1´s copycat... but the pre section and EQ (especially after being able to bring in a second spectrum) is absolutely gold and without that, it´s nothing else than a different way of seeing what you see in the inspector and in the mixer anyway... absolutely pointless and imho not worth to even consider...

Do it correctly or leave it... but this halfbaken part is absolutely not comparable with Cubase!

Trancer wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:05 am On the other hand pleasantly surprised by Cubase Pro 12.

Yes in Cubase, creating busses is super easy. Just Control-Click on the channels you want to put in the buss, then right click on the empty section of the track bar to low a new menu, then select 'Add Group Channel to Selected Channels' and voila. It's all routed for you.

Just rejoining the Cubase club after a 25 year hiatus, version 12 Pro is fantastic!

Thanks for your feedback.

I bought Cubase Pro 12, not out of disappointment with Studio One Pro 6, even if version 6 doesn't interest me, it doesn't bring me anything.

I'm not talking about the clip launcher here, it was obvious that it wouldn't be in this version 6 (not enough demand).

For now, Cubase suits me well.

Here, I can compare between the two daws which one will suit me best.

What is essential for me, stability and optimal operation for external instruments and reference cpu management for large hybrid projects (Hardware and Vst).

It is true that Cubase is a gas plant and is certainly more complex because it is more complete than Studio One.

The big advantage of Studio One is very clearly the ergonomics and an excellent workflow.

I haven't changed, just taken another daw to form my opinion and especially the one that will suit me best in relation to my way of working and my organization.

I'm new to Studio One Pro, so switching to Cubase really isn't a problem.

On the contrary, I can test what suits me for my use.

VitaminD wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:39 pm
Trancer wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:05 am On the other hand pleasantly surprised by Cubase Pro 12.

Yes in Cubase, creating busses is super easy. Just Control-Click on the channels you want to put in the buss, then right click on the empty section of the track bar to low a new menu, then select 'Add Group Channel to Selected Channels' and voila. It's all routed for you.
Same in studio one
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

I tried to like Cubase.. I really tried, but it is so damn slow to load and feels so clumsy. And the way it looks is somehow not pleasing to my eyes (not even the version 12). I don't LOVE Studio One's GUI, but somehow it is not so unpleasant to my eyes. I know I know, it is just visual thing, but using a DAW is also visual in since you need to stare at it while using it :D I might give Cubase 12 another test sping after I get faster computer and see if it's not so sluggish.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”