Studio One 6

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Artist Studio One Professional

skijumptoes wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:27 am Cubase chord track is a lot deeper than that in S1, as it integrates with the chord pads, variaudio and MIDI note colouring. On top of that, the theory behind it is more solid from a compositional perspective.

However, the polyphonic detection in S1 so much better. Something I really love about S1 is if playing capo on guitar it will read the chords much better than Cubase or Scaler. A Big help for bass/keys.
Could you go in to more detail, on your second paragraph please.? Any real-world examples..? I'd love to report findings to Steiny, so they could see where to improve. :hyper:
Last edited by thebutler on Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win10; i7 4790K; 16Gb RAM; GTX750Ti; Cubase Pro v13.0.30; WaveLab Pro v11.2.0; S1 v6.5.2; UR44 audio/MIDI

LawrenceF wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:28 pm demo song breakdown
Shame, for me, the song is so bland and boring though; the middle 8 'rap bridge' is exceptionally lame... Each to their own... :neutral:
Win10; i7 4790K; 16Gb RAM; GTX750Ti; Cubase Pro v13.0.30; WaveLab Pro v11.2.0; S1 v6.5.2; UR44 audio/MIDI

thebutler wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:33 pm the song is so bland and boring though; Each to their own... :neutral:
Indeed... to each their own. Image

[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

LawrenceF wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:28 pm ...
Hey Lawrence!
Does Track Colors Toolbar v2 work with Studio One 6?
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

EnGee wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:49 amAnyway, I don't see a big advantage for your workflow in using another DAW other than S1. S1 has a great simplicity and to the point. It has the best features from Cubase and Logic IMO and it could gather them well. It also has some unique features. I should spend more time with it really as I know most of it already :)
Do you know why it works for me? It's the fact that I can always see the mixer and my workflow is, as it has been for 40 years, mixer-centric. That's as simple as it is. It's why I didn't mind Cubase, either.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:52 am Do you know why it works for me? It's the fact that I can always see the mixer and my workflow is, as it has been for 40 years, mixer-centric. That's as simple as it is. It's why I didn't mind Cubase, either.
I understand. I like S1 and old Cubase mixer because I just used to press F3 when I want to check the volumes (press it again to toggle it off). Bitwig has it as well by pressing M while it's X with Logic.

The annoying mixers are in current Cubase and Live. I can't see the full mixer while in the arrangement. Cubase did two versions of the mixer, one with tabs and the other full mixer needs it's monitor alone!
In Live I can't see at glance the devices and inserts (session view) of all tracks. So, for one monitor setup my ideal DAWs are S1, Logic and Bitwig. Although, I can still compose pleasantly with Cubase and Live, no big problem, the mixer easy to view design is important convenience.

S1, Logic and Bitwig all share a very similar UI/UX
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

thebutler wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:33 pm
Shame, for me, the song is so bland and boring though; the middle 8 'rap bridge' is exceptionally lame... Each to their own... :neutral:
I didn't listen to it and maybe I am wrong but it seems like not many on KVR really like any sort of rap.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

You're not wrong
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

ATS wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:50 am
I didn't listen to it and maybe I am wrong but it seems like not many on KVR really like any sort of rap.
I do

aMUSEd wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:13 am
ATS wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:50 am
I do
I do too. Well, mainly I do beats and stuff for rappers but don't listen to rap records all that much.

EnGee wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:18 am The annoying mixers are in current Cubase and Live. I can't see the full mixer while in the arrangement.
I find that using workspaces is the best method with Cubase, rather than manually toggling views on/off.

I have a full time-line view, then a sectioned view with channel strip an mixer on one side and arrangement on other. And then the third view is a timeline/full mixer split. There's a fourth which I use for MIDI/Variaudio edits but tend not to use it that so much.

You can get to them via single key commands or bind to a controller.

Because you can run Studio One fullscreen and there's not horrible title bars as in Cubase, I don't feel that I need to manage screenspaces so much - it's pretty efficient out the box for me.

skijumptoes wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:49 am
EnGee wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:18 am The annoying mixers are in current Cubase and Live. I can't see the full mixer while in the arrangement.
I find that using workspaces is the best method with Cubase, rather than manually toggling views on/off.

I have a full time-line view, then a sectioned view with channel strip an mixer on one side and arrangement on other. And then the third view is a timeline/full mixer split. There's a fourth which I use for MIDI/Variaudio edits but tend not to use it that so much.

You can get to them via single key commands or bind to a controller.

Because you can run Studio One fullscreen and there's not horrible title bars as in Cubase, I don't feel that I need to manage screenspaces so much - it's pretty efficient out the box for me.
Yes workspaces (and screensets in Logic) are for recalling Windows setup that you have already recorded then you can toggle between the views.
It is an old way I remember learning it in Logic 4 and 5 in 1999 or 2000 (not sure). At that time it is necessary due to the size of the monitor and resolution, but now I don't think it is used that much. Anyway, my projects are not big, so tracks and small view of the mixer can fit on one window. Like you, I prefer S1 (and Logic/Bitwig) ergonomics in viewing the workspace.

ATS wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:50 amI didn't listen to it and maybe I am wrong but it seems like not many on KVR really like any sort of rap.
That's because it is all terrible.
skijumptoes wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:49 amI find that using workspaces is the best method with Cubase, rather than manually toggling views on/off.
I hate that idea. I do everything from the same view. I never toggle views on/off, I like to be able to see everything that's going on at once and to be able to get at things as easily as possible.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”