Ghana Drums by Karoryfer Samples

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Ghana Drums

After four West African vocal libraries and one with pitched instruments, we now also have released a library of percussion. There's square drums, bells that look like wizards in wizard robes and wizard hats, and also the usual stuff you'd expect like djembe and gourd shakers. All recorded and edited in a small town in Ghana. Over 1700 samples adding up to over 900 MB, plus over 500 MB of bonus loops and freestyles.

Walkthrough:

https://youtu.be/Q0c19XaNHYI

Demos and full instrument list at https://shop.karoryfer.com/products/ghana-drums

$19 intro price until November 28, 2022 (basically because a one-month intro price would then mean Black Friday sales would start soon, so let's just make it intro price through that season to keep things simple).

Also available as part of the Ghana bundle at https://shop.karoryfer.com/products/ghana-bundle which is also $20 off while the intro price is in effect, though it'll be even less once the Black Friday sale starts, which I'll probably do around late October, so if you want all of them then you might want to wait.

Best demo video ever!

What does the "epic" knob do?

I realized while putting that video together that we never mentioned it, but same thing it does in all our drum instruments - plays an extra copy of the sample transposed an octave down.

And a new demo. As much as I always try to stick some unexpected style in the walkthroughs and demos, I was not expecting the drums to be used as a melodic distorted EBMish bass, but here we are. Plus melodic bells, but in a way that's miles away from cowbell phonk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbK6FpAmBAI

Would it be possible to add a copy of the samples on the octave above (pitched the same though)? I have a few Spitfire libraries mapped like this and it allows you to finger play the same note alternating over two keys which is faster then trying to playing the same key twice as fast!

Good question. In the single-drum patches, I just tried and seems like the answer is yes. If you want to edit the SFZ files in the Programs folder (not any of the ones in the subfolders), here's what seems to work.

Edit each file from 11-dondo.sfz to 31-pati_female.sfz. In each one, copy everything below the key #define statements, starting with the <control> header. Paste it again at the end of the SFZ file. Add this below the second <control> header:

octave_offset=1

If you want to also do this with the bells and shakers, don't do it with the double gankogui, though, or use an offset of 2 instead of 1. And don't do it with patches 01 through 07, of course, as they have a lot of sounds over several octaves. The rest should be fine, I think, I just tested this with the tumpani and it seems to work - you can copy-paste the contents into your Programs/13-tumpani.sfz file and it should work.

Code: Select all

#define $TUMPANI1_KEY 36
#define $TUMPANI2_KEY 37
#define $TUMPANI3_KEY 38
#define $TUMPANI4_KEY 39

<control>

label_cc14=Tune
label_cc113=Epic

set_cc14=63.5

<global>
loop_mode=one_shot
bend_up=0
bend_down=0
tune_cc14=1200
tune_curvecc14=1

<master>

<group>
key=$TUMPANI1_KEY
#include "modules/maps/drums/tumpani_tone1.sfz"
<group>
key=$TUMPANI2_KEY
#include "modules/maps/drums/tumpani_tone2.sfz"
<group>
key=$TUMPANI3_KEY
#include "modules/maps/drums/tumpani_tone3.sfz"
<group>
key=$TUMPANI4_KEY
#include "modules/maps/drums/tumpani_tone4.sfz"

<master>
transpose=-12
amplitude_cc113=100
locc113=1

<group>
key=$TUMPANI1_KEY
<group>
key=$TUMPANI2_KEY
<group>
key=$TUMPANI3_KEY
<group>
key=$TUMPANI4_KEY

<control>

label_cc14=Tune
label_cc113=Epic

set_cc14=63.5

octave_offset=1

<global>
loop_mode=one_shot
bend_up=0
bend_down=0
tune_cc14=1200
tune_curvecc14=1

<master>

<group>
key=$TUMPANI1_KEY
<group>
key=$TUMPANI2_KEY
<group>
key=$TUMPANI3_KEY
<group>
key=$TUMPANI4_KEY

<master>
transpose=-12
amplitude_cc113=100
locc113=1

<group>
key=$TUMPANI1_KEY
<group>
key=$TUMPANI2_KEY
<group>
key=$TUMPANI3_KEY
<group>
key=$TUMPANI4_KEY

Oh, and if you're going to try that, back up the contents of the Programs folder just in case...

DSmolken wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:50 am Oh, and if you're going to try that, back up the contents of the Programs folder just in case...
:hihi:

I'll give it a try, although I'm not sure what I'm doing.

Give it a shot. If you can't get it to work I could probably do it in about 10 minutes of work, and make a zip for you. If it's useful and other people want it also I could turn that into an update that gets pushed out to everybody.

DSmolken wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:31 pm Give it a shot. If you can't get it to work I could probably do it in about 10 minutes of work, and make a zip for you. If it's useful and other people want it also I could turn that into an update that gets pushed out to everybody.
Congrats, really great library!

I would go for this zip file too since indeed, it's a great way to program perc instruments.

OK, that's working for me. I just noticed though that I have Programs 1-7 and 11-36. Should there be Programs 8-10?

Great, I've been working on other stuff and haven't had time, so glad that it works for you. If you can zip up the files you changed and upload them to Wetransfer, then other people who want that can also grab it, though I'll probably get around to it eventually...

Programs 8-10 intentionally left out so that single instruments start at 11, and if we ever do a version 2.0 with more stuff added we have a few slots available for adding more kits.

https://we.tl/t-aXKpmBkCoq

Hope this works – Ghana Drums files modified according to DSmolken's recipie.
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Spitfire31 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:23 pm https://we.tl/t-aXKpmBkCoq

Hope this works – Ghana Drums files modified according to DSmolken's recipie.
It works here, but maybe you will need the 'long' link:
https://wetransfer.com/downloads/4dbe91 ... 053/7bfb16
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Ha, OK, so that's three people who found the idea useful now? I probably should make this an official update. Fortunately Pulse pushes those out to anybody who bought the kit, so it's not a lot of work on the logistical end, either. Will also update the manual accordingly.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”