Which Roland synth to start with?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

(wouldn't get a rompler, that would really put you off)

You all are asking great questions.

In fact, you're giving me the questions that I'm now now aware I need to ask.

I liked my old Roland midi controller in terms of the way the keys felt, which is why I felt it couldn't be an awful first choice for a decent synth.

Non-weighted keys, don't need 88, in a studio, mostly synth sounds.

I'm going to be using it only for recording, not live.

Something tells my ignorant mind that there's probably nothing that a controller to vsti's won't give me that a synth (hardware) will...

🤷🏼‍♂️

If you wanna go with software, get TAL U-NO-LX and/or J-8
For hardware, go with System-8
Weapons of choice (subject to change):
Godin Redline, Kuassa, Fuse Audio, Audiority, Roland A-500pro, Dune, Dagger, TAL, Reaper for Rock & Synthwave pleasures; Viper and FL Studio for guilty EDM pleasures

Thank you to all.

(I'm leaning to the System 8.)

For a guitarist I think the system 8 is a good choice, it is more "instrument" that other offerings from roland, Romplers or the Zen Core stuff is quite complex to use for a beginner and it goes beyond synth sounds, the user interfaces are less immediate.

System 8 sounds good, has all controls in front of you, it has some annoying stuff like the limited number of presets but it also helps to you to program your own sounds.

Other options similar to that: Novation Peak, but you will need a controller; Modal Argon/Cobalt; Nord lead; Korg Prologue/Minilogue.

You can get any synth sound and then more in VSTs and a DAW for sure, it is cheaper but it is also a black hole of options, there are many better than roland cloud (honestly their software is years behind other companies in many aspects as user interface and preset management), there is the Arturia V Collection, U-he synths, Softube also offers some classic modeled synths, but honestly is overwhelming.

I would say download one Synth, as U.he diva and play with it a bit, then come and ask more questions.
dedication to flying

V-Synth. And it's also the last Roland synth you'll need as well.

It's got all the classic 90s and early 00s VA sounds from the likes of the JP-8000, weird sound engines that can be pushed quite far, an insane sampling engine that gets into granular territory, very creative routing and filtering options, and lots of great/unconventional control methods (D-Beam and Time Trip Pad).

PaulG wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:26 pm Thank you to all.

(I'm leaning to the System 8.)
System-8 is fantastic.

You had asked if the software was just as good. Yes it is because its the same software that their hardware is running (in the case of the System-8 or the Zen Core based stuff like the Jupiter/Juno X). Well, yes sound-wise. But honestly if you're starting out I think having something like the System-8 will help because its easier to tweak real hardware vs software. The beauty of the Roland stuff is then that you can also run all of it as plugins in your DAW.

Someone here said something about "cheap, plasticky..". I think that's nonsense. There is nothing cheap or plasticky about the Jupiter/Juno-X or any of their other gear. Sounds to me like someone who hasn't actually used any of the new stuff. System-8 is mostly plastic but it doesn't feel cheap ... least to me. It's well-built and if you get one try to get the metal cheeks that can be purchased. Makes it look better and makes it more sturdy. And frankly, if its for studio use and will be sitting on a stand who cares.

Modal Argon/Cobalt were also mentioned. I have a Cobalt-8 which sounds fantastic and can also be used directly inside a DAW via their programmer app. I'd still get the System-8 first.

Personally, I'd go for the Fantom 0x series if I were in your position. Does pretty much everything you could want,especially for a first synth.

It's deep, yet easy to use. Though I bought the bigger Fantom6 and returned it after 3 days as it just doesn't cut it. Way too many faults for something that price. But the '0' series is more worth the money.

But then again, software is by far a lot cheaper. For example, you could buy the u-he synth bundle for around 1200 euros I think it is, and a controller keyboard and have virtually unlimited sounds and sound sound design possibilities. Use the patches that come with the synths until you learn how to program them.

But hardware is sooo much more hands on and fun to use than software, and tends to be by nature much more limiting. Hard choice sometimes. Limits often inspire creativity though.

trusampler wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:23 pm ( Juno 60 / Juno 106 ) great introduction to the Roland sound, and perhaps the best synth's to learn Subtractive synthesis with.

neither of which are one trick ponys,a large portion of electronic music has and still is made using these synths.
Not forgetting the Juno 6. Because it lacks presets, you are forced to make your own sounds. Its great for learning the basic principles of synths on. I have this one and could pretty much program all the sounds I want wearing a blindfold - its that easy. Many years ago I had a Juno 106 and I mostly just used presets and rarely touched the sliders.

digitalboytn wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:55 pm Start with Alpha 🥳
My Alpha 2 decided to stop working a month ago and is back in its case. :cry:

Boutique SH-01A.

$399. Perfect for learning synthesis. And you'll love it for ever.
paz por esos mundos

Boutique SH-01A is a good choice for the money and it's about to go on sale. JX-08 or JD-08 might be better choices if you want more voices.

I thought a lot about the Jupiter-X and System-8. I also thought about getting a cheap used System-1 and using it to control the plugins, which still seems like something worth trying. In the end, though, I found a JD-XA for a good price (easy to find used for way under half the new price) and couldn't be happier. It's pretty much everything I wanted out of the Jupiter-X, Integra-7, and Fantom's but with a smoother, deeper sound. It sounds more analog because it's analog.

For synth sounds system 8 is probably a good choice. Quite a few different synths in it, so good sound options.

It's also very hands on and will make.a good controller.

If you wanted to go more 'hardware' synth, then perhaps a Novation Summit could also be a good choice. Can make a lot of different sounds. Very capable.

chk071 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:28 pm Imagine how much more people would be all over Roland if they decided to build analog replicas of their classic analog synths. Sort of like Behringer just from the actual company itself. ;)
I was browsing yesterday and came across a few vids for the JD-XA. Dunno why, but it completely went under my radar when it came out - I guess I just ignored Roland for so many years because of their continual digital rehashes so I missed it.

Actually, it impressed me despite not wanting to be impressed. 4-voice analogue (plus a shitload of digital voices and options). The filters were fairly typical Roland at first glance but it has filter drive and a proper set of more than just LPF (also 12dB/Oct which IMO is where real character filters are at), sync, cross-mod, ring mod etc and it was a very capable squelch machine. Capable of screaming too...screaming like a real bastard. I don't want all the digital shite they put in it but the analogue side of it is IMO a gem and with some good FX. I haven't checked out prices and I suspect being Roland that it's silly expensive, but as I'm in the market for something like MiniLogueXD, it's definitely a contender.

Sorry to hijack the OP - JDXA is maybe a bit too much as a starter synth, but it's got it all. And doesn't look too complicated to program.

The vid at 12 mins or so - very MS20-ish character (one of the best filters ever made IMO)
https://youtu.be/64uk__7ryZY

So I had a quick search - "No shops found selling this product". Fairly typical for NZ :roll: .
Closest I found was in Aussie at $3000 - just short of NZ$3300. I think Roland can safely f**k off with that...I can get a proper all-analogue 8-voice maybe even 16-voice for that price. Yeah it has god-knows-how-many digital voices but that's useless bloat for me. MinilogueXD for $1100, MonoPoly was only $1300. A real shame as JD-XA has some real analogue guts. Not paying $800 per voice though.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”