Least favourite part of music creation?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kelvyn wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:10 am
vurt wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:46 pm time travelling.

came in here around 4.
i knocked up a quick, self playing, sonic boom/spacemen 3 type patch...
its now nearly nine.
Ah! But isn’t the loss - the feeling that time ceases to exist - what makes us immortal.
Probably the greatest thing that creativity - amongst other things - gives us mortals. Takes us away from ourselves, our problems, the other...
These are the moments - funny contradiction that - I live for.
Lost in time. Great!!!!
I find mixing extremely tedious, especially as I’m not good at it:(
Give me a keyboard some sounds and a computer and.... “Oh! Is that the time...”
i agree, more often than not, it's great.
however, you may notice the times and that "tea time" (evening meal) is usually 5/6pm ish.
i only eat breakfast and tea, so it made me quite hungry, but it's nearly bedtime so can't be arsed cooking anything and shouldn't really eat anything too heavy this close to sleeping....

so on this occasion grrr.

F-ing mixing

seangm wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:27 pm F-ing mixing
The thing about mixing, the more I know (or learn), the harder it gets to make everything sound good. I suspect I am too much overthinking at times too.
please Like, Comment and Subscribe!

seangm wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:27 pm F-ing mixing
Favourite part.

Least favourite was editing but I don't mind it much these days.

nvm

Hink wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:29 am
Propellerhands wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:01 pm
Hink wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:18 pm
I will take a synth, lock an arp or a sequence on it with the foot pedal and just take my guitar and jam over that.

I record tracks individually saving guitar for last because I love playing, a lot of songs take forever to finish because I love playing so. My songs like many I am sure evolves over time.

Again, I am from the old school, I spent decades learning songs by playing to the records. I record a lot, I'll even record a scratch pad idea, just a riff or two to remember and damn if after 51 years of playing guitar and copping other's songs off of recordings I sure hope I would be able to do the same with my recordings. :hihi:
I know I am derailing my own thread but whatever. As I understand you record everything straight to audio, but do you do a continuous recordings?

For example guitar, even if you want to change melodies midway through the track, or do you record in loops? I mean, record one riff/melody for one part of a song and then again different riff for the ending etc? And then combine those recording inside a DAW perhaps into a full track as per your example below?

Either way, it sounded pretty organic, but then again, it is live acoustic guitar so of course it won't sound digital :D
apologies for the length in between responses

First, I hope it sounded organic because it was just quickly done, the tambourine and the xylophone were just for s&g. Actually I have been working on something with it and when all the work we are having done on the house is complete and we have our party? One thing that I am not is that guy who sits down with just an acoustic guitar and sing alone...but I am going to :tu:

When I record I try my very hardest to keep all my guitar tracks complete start to finish, I will occasionally use punch, I dont copy and paste. Often when I play as I am an old lead guitarist each verse has slightly different things, I really love pinch harmonics so often there will be parts accented with them but I prefer each to have it's own character related to the moment and copy and paste is without character period imo. (that's just one of many examples)

I also refuse to use comping, back pre 2010 I worked hard on a song, it was a blues song and I decided to try the comping in Samp then (I'm guessing around 9 pro). I still have the song on my back-up machine but I hate it, again no character...mind you I may be the only one who notices said character, it is important to me and the character I am trying to put out and there is really my guitar.

Back before the turn of the century I was working in a music store in Davis Sq Somerville Mass, right down the street from Harvard SQ in Cambridge and right on the subway to Boston. I sold my own DX-7 to guy from NY for way more than it was worth (and I wanted multi timbral) and snatched up a basic Roland XP-10 from the store I was working at. That night I went home and did this in three hours, an Alesis SR-16, a Roland XP-10 and me playing a guitar I put together (Warmoth) through a sansamp GT2 pedal (I now have a nice collection of tube amps).

Sleeping Giant (named for the Mountains on Mount Desert Island near where I now live on the coast of Maine)

You see that's what I do, I love to play...I seriously find myself in this whole other space and I love it...I dont want to care if others like it, I dont want to be performing for others...I just want to go to my place and express myself anyway I feel without having any concerns of others tbh...I play for peace of heart and soul :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4tSFlJlMtI

finding samples and deleting them.
SoundCloud
"I believe every music producer inherently has something unique about the way they make music. They just have to identify what makes them different, and develop it" - Max Martin

When you make something you somewhat like and the DAW crashes and the files get corrupted.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”