Which Elektron box to start with?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Fair warning: I've been a recording guitarist for 30 years but not really into synth stuff - until now.

That being said...

Why the hell do I feel so stupid looking at Elektron's site and not knowing what the hell those sexy black boxes do.

I even had a 707 back in the day, so I know what a drum machine is...

But every time I look at their product pages...they lost me at "hello".

🤦🏼‍♂️

I, therefore, beg of thee, KVR synth gods...

Please help eradicate my misunderstanding of English by helping me understand what the hell each of those pretty black boxes do...

(And why are they different?)

(I'm going to ask that you please not ask "what do I want to do" since it's not going to influence my purchasing decision...I want to know what THEY do - meaning what CAN I do with them?)

Thanks for understanding...

(I leave this open for the KVR Synth gods...)

(Thank you in advance.)

- Paul

There’s quite a bit of overlap between these boxes, particularly their trademark sequencer, so I’ll give you the basic strengths of the ones I own/have owned.

Analog RYTM mk2 - analog and digital drum machine/groovebox. Has 12 tracks of analog drum machines that can be layered or substituted with samples stored internally or sampled directly via the inputs. Can also resample internally. Has dual VCO synth engine for sequencing analog synth parts, making it an excellent groovebox.

Analog Four mk2 - 4-voice/4-part/tracks analog synth that can act as four different mono parts or combine them for up to one track of 4-voice polyphony. It can function as a 4-part groovebox, especially using some of the sequencer’s tricks (parameter locks) to combine synth parts with drums, but it’s strength is combining the analog synthesis with that killer Elektron sequencer. No samples with this one.

Digitakt - sample-based drum machine in the smaller format. It stores samples and can sample external audio that you can then edit to your heart’s content. It also does some very limited synthesis with single cycle waveforms, but that’s not its forte.

Syntakt - synth-based groovebox (no samples) that combines 8 tracks of digital synth engines with 4 separate tracks of analog synth engines in the smaller format. Immensely powerful machine! The newest Elektron model.

Digitone - I’ve actually never owned this one, but it’s similar in function to the Analog Four mk2, except with 4 parts of FM synthesis rather than analog and in the smaller ‘takt’ format. No samples.

Model:Cycles - the more economic version of the Elektron grooveboxes that is based on digital/FM synthesis. Cheaper build, no Overbridge (software editor/plugin that integrates Elektron devices with your computer and DAW), but still very cool and sounds amazing. No samples.

Model: Samples - sample-based version of the Cycles (I’ve never owned this one, either)

Here’s a page that can help:

https://www.perfectcircuit.com/signal/e ... comparison

Anyway, that’s just scratching the surface.
Last edited by cryophonik on Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

The Digitakt doesn’t have to be used as a drum machine as it’s a sampler so you could sample an instrument and stack mono tracks into chords. As well as 8 mono sampler tracks it can also sequence 8 MIDI tracks (as can the Digitone), it’s IMO the best intro to how the range works as they share a lot of commonalities in controls and workflow.

The sequencers in these boxes are powerful and the biggest draw is what’s called parameter locking which basically means you can change virtually every setting (a filter cutoff level, a sample start point, a delay fx level etc.) on every step, e.g. every 16th note you can change loads of settings.

The other reason I’d say go for the Digitakt is they seem to keep their value.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

So, stupid question -

What's the difference between a drum machine and a groove box, in this case?

And thanks for the awesome answers.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how to actually enter melodies without a typical way to do so...

Drum machine generally just focused on producing drum and percussion sounds, grooveboxes for drums plus extra tracks for bass, melody etc. The lines do get blurred though e.g, the Roland TR-8S started as pretty much just a drum machine, but firmware updates added tunable FM so it’s now closer to being a groovebox.

Oh and re playing notes, it’s not obvious but the keys on Digitakt/Digitone/Syntakt can be played like a one octave standard keyboard. It’s not great though as you don’t get velocity, it’s all recorded as one volume level.
Last edited by WatchTheGuitar on Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Are you safe?

Okay, gotcha.

Almost like my whole backup band, then, if I was a lead guitarist...

PaulG wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:49 am Okay, gotcha.

Almost like my whole backup band, then, if I was a lead guitarist...
Although they can be used groovebox style I’d personally recommend also checking out the Roland MC707 and the Akai MPC range.

Are you safe?

Thank you. They're just wicked expensive to try out and find out that it doesn't really do what I thought, or a different model would...

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:00 am The Digitakt doesn’t have to be used as a drum machine as it’s a sampler so you could sample an instrument and stack mono tracks into chords. As well as 8 mono sampler tracks it can also sequence 8 MIDI tracks (as can the Digitone), it’s IMO the best intro to how the range works as they share a lot of commonalities in controls and workflow.

The sequencers in these boxes are powerful and the biggest draw is what’s called parameter locking which basically means you can change virtually every setting (a filter cutoff level, a sample start point, a delay fx level etc.) on every step, e.g. every 16th note you can change loads of settings.

The other reason I’d say go for the Digitakt is they seem to keep their value.
Agree with all of this. My personal favs are probably the RYTM and Syntakt, followed by the Analog Four mk2, then the Digitakt. But, if I was only going to own one, it would probably be the RYTM or Digitakt for their versatility. Here in the States, a like-new Digitakt can be had for $600 any day of the week, which is an insane amount of capability and fun for the price.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

PaulG wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:32 pmnot knowing what the hell those sexy black boxes do.
Maybe you’re coming at this from the wrong direction. I mean, it’s good to learn general synthesis and what different types of electronic instruments do, but I feel it’s better to ask the question, “what am I trying to do?”

If you’re looking to play lead and bass lines, you’ll want a monophonic synths.

If you want to play chords, you’ll want a polyphonic synths. Most polyphonic synths have a monophonic mode as well, and some even have a unison mode where all voices can play together with a bit of detuning and maybe panning to make a huge wide sound.

Drum machines are polyphonic, but usually have different types of engines specifically designed for drum sounds and instead of multiple identical voices, they’ll have different types for each drum type.

Then there are sub groups of the above that focus on synthesis types. The major ones are:

Subtractive (a harmonically rich oscillator will be filtered to shape the sound) This can include wavetable synths that use digital systems to generate non traditional wave shapes and even blend between them.

Frequency Modulation (FM), though technically it’s Phase Modulation in most FM synths. This is a tricky one to explain, but in a general way you’re using simple wave forms to modulate the phase of another and get interesting harmonic effects.

Sample based. These use recordings of real instruments to make sound.

Those are the “big three.” There are others like Additive and Phase Distortion, but I wouldn’t really worry about those yet. Researching what the first three do will give you plenty of capabilities.

Finally, Elektron gear is not really what I’d call beginner stuff. It’s usually very flexible and sometimes has interfaces that are less than intuitive. I’ve got an Analog Four and RYTM. I like them a lot, but I also started out as a guitarist and when I was first started getting into synths, I loved the sound of the Elektron MONOMACHINE. I bought one, along with a MACHINEDRUM, and while I liked the sound, I found them hard to use compared to my other synth, which was an Ensoniq TS-10. (Subtractive/Wavetable/Sample) Now I have a lot more experience, and Elektron now has software for more intuitive patch building, but I don’t think I’d recommend it for someone just starting out who’s overwhelmed by their website. There are a lot of great instruments out there now that are more straight forward.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:29 am
PaulG wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:32 pmnot knowing what the hell those sexy black boxes do.
but I don’t think I’d recommend it for someone just starting out who’s overwhelmed by their website. There are a lot of great instruments out there now that are more straight forward.
I'm starting to think that it's over my head, yes.

In the current market then, as a guitar player, where would you start now?

(And thank you.)

Maybe look at the Novation Circuit range? Cheap and easy to get your head around, but with some depth and room for creativity. Youtube reviews, introductions and tutorials should give you a good idea what different boxes can do.

IDK, I don't think the Elektron boxes are that hard to learn if you're willing to put in a little time up front for some structured learning. If you're the type of person who wants to learn by just clicking around on it and hoping for the best, that's probably not going to get you very far before you get frustrated. But, if you can spend a few hours following some tutorials, then you'll be up and running in one afternoon. MacProVideo has a great paid one for Digitakt (this is how I learned it on day one of my Digitakt purchase), and YouTube has more free Digitakt tutorials than you can ever wish for.

https://macprovideo.com/course/elektron ... s-explored

Wow. Thanks so much.

If you are new to synths I wouldn't recommend elektron as your first instrument in this adventure.

Look for a simple synth, maybe novation bass station 2, moog sub25, and look for used stuff near you.

Elektron stuff is all about programming and not much about "playing", I think for a guitarist you will want to play first and then program when you get a grab of synths.
dedication to flying

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”