Going DAWless - need your recommendations.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm getting sick of staring at computer monitors.

I'm asking for recommendations in going DAWless...

I'm wanting to cover most bases - I'm an accomplished rock guitar player & I can write bass & drum parts.

I'm wanting to branch out into techno (electronic) and new age, so I'm okay buying a synth.

(Got my eyes on Roland System 8.)

If I wanted to go DAWless...

What would you all recommend if I didn't want to get more than one piece of gear of each type.

Meaning, one synth, one drum machine, etc...

(Do I need a mixer if I'm getting a multitrack hardware recorder?)

Thank you.

- Paul

PaulG wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:16 pm Do I need a mixer if I'm getting a multitrack hardware recorder?
If you want the multi tracks mixed, then yes.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

PaulG wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:16 pm I'm getting sick of staring at computer monitors.
I can relate to that, but see my reply below re: computer vs. multitrack
I'm wanting to branch out into techno (electronic) and new age, so I'm okay buying a synth.

(Got my eyes on Roland System 8.)
Personally, I'm not a big fan of any new Roland synths, but if the System 8 looks appealing to you, not gonna argue with that :tu:
If I wanted to go DAWless...

What would you all recommend if I didn't want to get more than one piece of gear of each type.

Meaning, one synth, one drum machine, etc...
If the System 8 rocks your boat, go for it! It seems to be very versatile, so that's probably a key requirement. A strong contender would have to be the Hydrasynth. The Waldorf Quantum appears to be a hell of a lot of synth as well and covers a pretty huge territory, but I've never laid hands on one, so I can't vouch for it.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I think the Elektron RYTM mk2 or Digitakt are killer drum machines/grooveboxes and I highly recommend them. The Roland TR-8S is pretty cool and very popular as well, but no song mode. That's not a big deal to some people, but if your intention is to create discrete and complete song arrangements, it's a must-have feature IMO.

Personally, I prefer a hybrid setup with hardware instruments and a DAW (Logic for me) to record and mix. I owned a few multitrack hardware recorders back in the early 2000s and, while they were pretty cool, they were nowhere near as capable and easy to navigate as a computer/DAW. Personally, I'd suggest buying an additional synth (maybe one nice monophonic synth to complement the System 8?), rather than a hardware recorder. But, if you're really set on untethering from the DAW (nothing wrong with that!), then I'll defer to people who are using them.
(Do I need a mixer if I'm getting a multitrack hardware recorder?)
Most hardware recorders have a built-in mixer, so it's usually not a necessity, but it comes down largely to how many tracks it has vs. how many instruments/mics/etc. you plan to route into it. An outboard mixer can have other benefits, including things like per-channel EQ, effects, busses, etc., that you might want for tracking and hands-on control during recording sessions.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

id agree, hybrid is an option.
i too don't like looking at a monitor, so i don't much.
other than opening a couple of audio channels so i can hear what im doing, i don't interact with the computer, till im then ready to hit record to either two tracks, or lately, straight to youtube.
all music and mixing takes place before the audio interface.

two reasons this is good, as above, when im ready i just stream, but also, i have the pc anyway, so saves me a bundle of cash on a hardware recorder :tu:

just an idea, you may not have considered :)

Even with no computer you don’t necessarily need a mixer. Many multichannel audio interfaces also work in standalone mode, without a computer.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Elektron RYTM
MPC One or MPC Live or MPC Key
Polyend Play
Maschine+
MC-707 or SP-404 MKII or MV-1
Deluge

For me, MPC's feel the most natural and inviting, Polyend Play completely blew me away with its punchy sound, Maschine+ is cool but kind of dumb (it's basically the iMachine phone app when it's not plugged into your computer), Elektron is awkward to work with (everyone who gets past that stage loves it, I've just never gotten there), SP-404 MKII and MV-1 are fun and they invite creation, and MC-707 is a bit too complicated. I haven't used Deluge yet but I want to get one.

revvy wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:28 am Even with no computer you don’t necessarily need a mixer. Many multichannel audio interfaces also work in standalone mode, without a computer.
And what does it do in standalone modus? Does it mix multiple audio signals? Can you control the individual volumes? Sounds like (also!) a mixer to me.

Korg SQ-64 Polyphonic Sequencer is on sale., only $199, it's a very deep sequencer.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”