switch from bitwig to another daw

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EnGee wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:20 am Regarding Bitwig, what announcement? And what stab in the back? I really don't know what are you guys talking about!

I will go to their forums and search. I'm curious to read about it!
They have now decided that some of the new addons to the Core Program are outside of the 1 Year Plan and you have to pay extra to get it.

What pisses me of about it is that everytime i open Bitwig 4.3.9 it says that there is a update that i can't update unless i buy that new Addon for $79.

I didn't find that new Spectral addon any interesting anyway but using the Core Program as nag ware until you cave in and buy it to get rid of the update warning does not look good.

jonljacobi wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:32 pm Short and sweet debate.
And completely meaningless.

Choosing a DAW for its marketing? Seriously?

Well, not my money...

D-Fusion wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:49 am
EnGee wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:20 am Regarding Bitwig, what announcement? And what stab in the back? I really don't know what are you guys talking about!

They have now decided that some of the new addons to the Core Program are outside of the 1 Year Plan and you have to pay extra to get it.

What pisses me of about it is that everytime i open Bitwig 4.3.9 it says that there is a update that i can't update unless i buy that new Addon for $79.

I didn't find that new Spectral addon any interesting anyway but using the Core Program as nag ware until you cave in and buy it to get rid of the update warning does not look good.
Oh I understand now. Thanks. Well, I don't know what to think exactly! From one side, all other companies have some add ons they are selling except few, maybe Apple with its Logic. Most others have add ons. But from other side, Bitwig is already not cheap and it is not from the 'big' guys, nor it has a big library like them. So, I think Bitwig went to the add ons too early! The DAW needs lots of enhancements especially in the Workflow and arrangement view. It also needs a good drums kits and more quality presets for their basic synths.

I believe Logic and S1 have better value for money now (Cubase and FL Studio as well).

machinesworking wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:01 am Even before this announcement I was debating going back to Live. In some ways it's just the draw of the new that had me using Bitwig anyway. I don't use modulation so much that a few clips pulled out to modify parts of a synth were not enough, Live since I bought Bitwig got MPE support, arguably better comping with MIDI added, a full screen MIDI editor finally and then there's Max4Live.
It's funny how this stuff goes, I really do not get the people that used Bitwig who never used Live because they found it difficult etc.? Neither DAW is that hard to learn but personally I didn't find Bitwig miles easier to learn. Max4Live VS the Grid, yeah I get that, but in the end Max4Live is super powerful, if you do learn it, it's as deep as it gets.

Anyway Live is by far the obvious choice. If you're not sold on Clips then Reaper and if you are at least DP11 has Clips. Both of those DAWs are more traditional musician oriented though, with features for pitch correction, score tabs, articulation management, SysEx support, movie scoring support etc.
Coming from Cubase 4 and used Live inbetween I could never get warm with lives arrangement view. Switched sides and it just looked messy to me, when you start with automating stuff. Bitwig was/is best of both worlds for me and has a lot unique things more to offer, Hybrid tracks, sandboxing, layeed editing, nice browser, modular system, proper PDC, bounce in place, groups etc. Some of those came to live then later also, but there was never a thought for me to switch back. Only for multichannel processing I consider Cubase again as the eventual place to work in for 3D Ambisonics work, but for the creative process I'd sketch everything in Bitwig first. It sparks with my creative flow a lot more.

EnGee wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:11 am

Oh I understand now. Thanks. Well, I don't know what to think exactly! From one side, all other companies have some add ons they are selling except few, maybe Apple with its Logic. Most others have add ons. But from other side, Bitwig is already not cheap and it is not from the 'big' guys, nor it has a big library like them. So, I think Bitwig went to the add ons too early! The DAW needs lots of enhancements especially in the Workflow and arrangement view. It also needs a good drums kits and more quality presets for their basic synths.

I believe Logic and S1 have better value for money now (Cubase and FL Studio as well).
That is true Everything else looks much better than the Bitwig Option atm.

Other Daws have Addons too but if i open Cubase or Studio One i don't have to click the upper right Corner to remove a Update warning of a product i can't update.

I replaced Studio One and Cubase 12 with Bitwig because i liked what it had to offer but i am happy that i didn't sell their licenses incase i needed them for older songs or they got a interesting update.

Now i will stay with Cubase 12 since it also have a much better support for my HW Instruments with Patch loading/Searching and more.

The other problem with this is that if you are ok with shelling out more money to get the Addons you also have to have a Active Subscription Plan on top of this since the newer addons are tied to the latest version.

D-Fusion wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:45 am That is true Everything else looks much better than the Bitwig Option atm.

Other Daws have Addons too but if i open Cubase or Studio One i don't have to click the upper right Corner to remove a Update warning of a product i can't update.

I replaced Studio One and Cubase 12 with Bitwig because i liked what it had to offer but i am happy that i didn't sell their licenses incase i needed them for older songs or they got a interesting update.

Now i will stay with Cubase 12 since it also have a much better support for my HW Instruments with Patch loading/Searching and more.

The other problem with this is that if you are ok with shelling out more money to get the Addons you also have to have a Active Subscription Plan on top of this since the newer addons are tied to the latest version.
I sold both my Bitwig Studio and Live Suite about a month or so ago so I could buy my Mac mini M1. I already had Logic license bought it when I had Mac Air book, so it was just sitting in the shop waiting for me to download!
I decided to not sell S1 v5 nor Cubase 12, so I still have them both, but recently bought Live lite for a ridiculous $5 and upgraded from Bitwig 8 to 16. I use mainly Logic now, but also S1 v6 Artist. So, I don't miss really Bitwig Studio nor Live Suite now! I don't think I will buy them again as they are much more expensive than having Logic, Cubase and S1! I could buy a nice classic guitar instead! Oh, and I already have FL Studio Producer and Reason 12 standard, but not installed in Mac mini.

Anyway, my point is I could make my music with any other DAW as I didn't invest in learning and using the Grid, nor Max for Live. I invest in learning less complex 3rd party synths, but still powerful like Phase Plant and Icarus (among others). So, it is better not to put all your eggs in one basket, i.e. don't trust companies, they are for money not love (although that last one is not trusty either) :hihi:

machinesworking wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:01 amLive since I bought Bitwig got MPE support, arguably better comping with MIDI added
Yeah, midi comping is an advantage of Live since Bitwig only has audio comping at the moment. However the fundamental implementation of comping is significantly better in Bitwig than in Live.

Bitwig comping is clip based and not track based. That is why you can do comping in the Clip Launcher as well as Arrange while in Live you can only comp in Arrange. Also, Bitwig is much better for editing comps/takes/audio because of the container approach to clips.

Bitwig's comping is a much more creative tool than the implementation in Live.

it was a nice catch
https://web.archive.org/web/20220923055 ... g.com/buy/
how would you call it... happy accident, Bitwig, Bitwig... :clap: m'eh
Last edited by xbitz on Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Wow/ I had node this was happening (haven't opened Bitwig in a while). I'm not going to pay a yearly upgrade fee AND have to pay for core features as well. Screw that Bitwig isn't worth the hassle imo.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

Bitwig is the best DAW I have ever tried but I can make same songs in Reaper too. Reaper does not mess with it's community.

All I hear is "Waaaah! Bitwigz evil cuz they make me pay for stuff I deserve fir free!"

Bitwig has opted for additional revenue streams by offering additional devices and content; "Highly specialized features, like devices or additional content such as presets and sound libraries, will occasionally be developed as add-ons." Nothing new here in the world of DAWs.

If you have Bitwig, you can continue on the same path with extra upgrade plans. Neither the Upgrade plans are required, nor are the Addons required.

The only requirement is that if you want to purchase the current addon, you must have Bitwig 4.1 or newer installed. That's it. That's all. Now, everybody who's upset, go outside, take a deep breath and have a lovely walk.

If I'm wrong in this matter in any fashion, I hereby authorise @pdxindy to chastise me publicly and send me to bed without supper.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

pdxindy wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:11 pm
machinesworking wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:01 amLive since I bought Bitwig got MPE support, arguably better comping with MIDI added
Yeah, midi comping is an advantage of Live since Bitwig only has audio comping at the moment. However the fundamental implementation of comping is significantly better in Bitwig than in Live.

Bitwig comping is clip based and not track based. That is why you can do comping in the Clip Launcher as well as Arrange while in Live you can only comp in Arrange. Also, Bitwig is much better for editing comps/takes/audio because of the container approach to clips.

Bitwig's comping is a much more creative tool than the implementation in Live.
I don’t agree, MIDI comping is better than what Bitwig did, it’s an extra step to use something comped in the Clips window I don’t lose sleep over it. I want comping to get the best parts, MIDI is included in this.

xbitz wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:18 pm

it was a nice catch
There’s no coming back from that, lies were told.

machinesworking wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:16 pm
xbitz wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:18 pm

it was a nice catch
There’s no coming back from that, lies were told.

Yeah that’s bad, very bad!
And they still have fanboys with more money than sense defending them. Very Trumpian…

A week ago I would be singing their praises. In fact if they had come out ahead of this and said they had to change their business model to stay afloat, I probably would still not like it but I would respect the honesty. This? this is just a shit show of lies, cover up and broken promises. I can’t think of a worse way they could have rolled this out.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”