NI Komplete 14

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:04 pm IMO, Kontakt 7 is better than what everyone here thinks. I think it is one of the few steps in the potential right direction and it will be interesting to see its evolution and the future Kontakt (NKS) based libraries.
What are your top 3 things about it you like?
rsp
sound sculptist

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:04 pm IMO, Kontakt 7 is better than what everyone here thinks. I think it is one of the few steps in the potential right direction and it will be interesting to see its evolution and the future Kontakt (NKS) based libraries.
Yeah partially that's marketing screwing the pooch. That video you posted with what's new in Kontakt should have been posted the day Komplete came out. Kontakt is the only plug in being updated, the rest of the new content is essentially sample libraries for Kontakt.

In fact if the update to Kontakt is being given erroneous amounts of flak it's because
of the disappointment that it's the only update, at a time when all of NI's instruments need some form of update.

It does look like a good update to me, reimagining the factory content was smart. that unsupported/authorized content is in the same searches is great.

The GUI for the new library content seems tailored to 10 years old, pretty graphics but very bad control placement, lot of space wasted, drop down menus.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:01 pm The GUI for the new library content seems tailored to 10 years old, pretty graphics but very bad control placement, lot of space wasted, drop down menus.
I have seen pictures from the Kontakt 7's new Orchestral, and it seems it is just a HUGE craphig design in the front, and everything is hidden behind a clicking? Instead of Kontakt 6's Orchestral you have Instrument Controls, Equalizer, Master FX at the front page of the Orchestral?

Bartone wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:25 pm
rod_zero wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:01 pm The GUI for the new library content seems tailored to 10 years old, pretty graphics but very bad control placement, lot of space wasted, drop down menus.
I have seen pictures from the Kontakt 7's new Orchestral, and it seems it is just a HUGE craphig design in the front, and everything is hidden behind a clicking? Instead of Kontakt 6's Orchestral you have Instrument Controls, Equalizer, Master FX at the front page of the Orchestral?
Yeah the new factory library UIs seem like just a pretty picture with some weirdly placed controls. Take the picture away and there is nothing good about the UI. So weak. Demos sound nice though.

Ever since the two clowns took over the reins at NI,the focus moved towards slick GUI's and slick ad copy...

Now it has become the modus operandi....

Less substance and generous lashings of hyperbole...

But you can only fool the peeps for so long 😁
No auto tune...

I think the developers of Kontakt could learn from the developers of Halion. Halion is so much better ( I only have the SE version)

zvenx wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:21 pm
rsp
Can list at least 4, as below:

1. The new browser and search
2. Sound preview and favoriting
3. Factory library 2
4. Working with any third party Kontakt library just like factory and NKS libraries

You might argue that some of the things were possible in some way with Komplete Kontrol, but having them in Kontakt 7 is quite useful to me. Only immediate thing I remember where KK has a slight advantage is the "easy to use" Arp and Chord features. If they add them to Kontakt in the same way, it would be awesome.

machinesworking wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:40 pm
Yeah partially that's marketing screwing the pooch. That video you posted with what's new in Kontakt should have been posted the day Komplete came out. Kontakt is the only plug in being updated, the rest of the new content is essentially sample libraries for Kontakt.

In fact if the update to Kontakt is being given erroneous amounts of flak it's because
of the disappointment that it's the only update, at a time when all of NI's instruments need some form of update.

It does look like a good update to me, reimagining the factory content was smart. that unsupported/authorized content is in the same searches is great.
Agree. They should have probably released that video with Komplete 14 to get some more traction before the separate release of Kontakt 7. But it was just a week's gap, so I think it is still not late. I am looking forward to any new updates to Kontakt 7, especially the ones I mentioned above regarding Komplete Kontrol would be awesome if possible.

Yes, the bold highlighted are indeed valuable.

As I mentioned earlier, it will be interesting to see new libraries for Kontakt 7, as I think they will all be HiDPI, at least the NI ones. It would have been almost an impossible task if they decided to make all existing (NI/NKS) libraries HiDPI. Instead, they have chosen to start with a relatively clean slate, which makes sense for this vast ecosystem.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:25 am
Agree. They should have probably released that video with Komplete 14 to get some more traction before the separate release of Kontakt 7. But it was just a week's gap, so I think it is still not late. I am looking forward to any new updates to Kontakt 7, especially the ones I mentioned above regarding Komplete Kontrol would be awesome if possible.

Yes, the bold highlighted are indeed valuable.

As I mentioned earlier, it will be interesting to see new libraries for Kontakt 7, as I think they will all be HiDPI, at least the NI ones. It would have been almost an impossible task if they decided to make all existing (NI/NKS) libraries HiDPI. Instead, they have chosen to start with a relatively clean slate, which makes sense for this vast ecosystem.
It's not worth the $99 upgrade cost to me though. I'm definitely waiting until summer when they do their 50% off money grab. One small benefit is bugs are usually worked out by then too. :)

Yeah, that's a good idea. Hopefully by next summer there will be some significant new updates as well. :tu: No rush indeed. I got it with Komplete 14, so gonna start using it here onwards.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:28 am Yeah, that's a good idea. Hopefully by next summer there will be some significant new updates as well. :tu: No rush indeed. I got it with Komplete 14, so gonna start using it here onwards.
I have 13 Ultimate, I don't think any of the Apple Silicon updates are going to be exclusively K14, that would be a weird precedent if they didn't do more than M1, VST3 and GUI updates for existing products and paywalled them off without adding any new features besides compatibility.

the more i see the graphics of the new kontakt library the more I think musicians are not their target market. It is su dumbed down and so focused on aesthetics without any regard to usability, it is insulting.
dedication to flying

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:17 am
zvenx wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:21 pm
rsp
Can list at least 4, as below:

1. The new browser and search
2. Sound preview and favoriting
3. Factory library 2
4. Working with any third party Kontakt library just like factory and NKS libraries

You might argue that some of the things were possible in some way with Komplete Kontrol, but having them in Kontakt 7 is quite useful to me. Only immediate thing I remember where KK has a slight advantage is the "easy to use" Arp and Chord features. If they add them to Kontakt in the same way, it would be awesome.
I guess that is the point, I use KK for everything so wouldn't really benefit at all from updating to K7 other than the new library (so I took the money I saved and bought EW Forbidden Planet instead :-))

That said, I will update in the 50% sale whenever that is 'as normal', so NBI will get some of my money at some point...bit this is the least exciting Ultimate update 'so far' for me (I am on 13).
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

okay i checked the new 7 player. why are people saying kontakt has hi dpi scaling? the only thing that scales is the container window, the images dont scale, the menue elements dont scale. or maybe the core browser is scaled but i cant resize it and every actual menu option is still made for ants. if they actually make stuff ledgible i will upgrade to 14 on the next sale, as im looking for a simple orchestral library and factory library 2 seems like a nice option.

Return to “Instruments”