Sugar Bytes Graindad - new realtime granular FX

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can you load samples into it or is it just an effect?

A granular synth would be great but I have too many granular effects here.

simmo75 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:10 pm Can you load samples into it or is it just an effect?

You can use the Midi Recording feature to record a sample into it. Just set Record Mode to Midi (left from the Rec button which is top right).

Sugar Bytes wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:49 pm
simmo75 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:10 pm Can you load samples into it or is it just an effect?

You can use the Midi Recording feature to record a sample into it. Just set Record Mode to Midi (left from the Rec button which is top right).
Cool! I'll demo :)

I cannot get this to playback the recording via midi, is there a tutorial showing how to do this?

gaggle of hermits wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:47 am
c_voltage wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:41 pm Folks do anyone remember if SB big sales usually does affect to upgrade to bundle price too ? Or nope.
not usually, maybe not ever.

iirc they generally take the bundle upgrade off the site if a big sale is on though you can send them an email to get a price.
Hmm ok tnx. (Although need say the discount is already not bad, but it's better to ask)

simmo75 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:39 pm I cannot get this to playback the recording via midi, is there a tutorial showing how to do this?
playback is done by the density control, which triggers the single grains based on host clock.
activate the env button below the fx level control and set the envelope to midi trigger and use a Midi Pitch mode below the pitch control in order to have a synth-like behavior of your grain cloud.
but yeah, it is not intended to be used like a sample player.

edit: in Midi recording mode, the Speed control will retrigger on midi gates, so if you put that one to work, the sample should play back with midi at the given speed. Use some more density here and put the Mode control to „rel“, so density will be relative to grainsize, and grains will shoot more often than in „abs“ mode.
Last edited by Sugar Bytes on Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ohh! I will be trying this out!

Is anyone else having problems with the size of the (VST2) plugin? Here (in Ableton Live 11) it is huge even at 90 %. I also don't see the option to adjust the size from 90 to 160 % (as it is mentioned in the manual). I only have 90 and 100 %. Thanks

Gosh wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:09 pm Is anyone else having problems with the size of the (VST2) plugin? Here (in Ableton Live 11) it is huge even at 90 %. I also don't see the option to adjust the size from 90 to 160 % (as it is mentioned in the manual). I only have 90 and 100 %. Thanks
Hi Gosh, sorry to hear that! Are you on Windows or macOS? And are you using the native resolution or have you possibly increased/decreased the display scaling percentage on your computer? Do you possibly use a scaling where your Ableton works for you at other than 100% and therefore makes the Graindad UI bigger? It would also be good to know, if you have the same problem while using it as a standalone. Depending on your monitor specs, the zoom menu of Graindad will provide different scale options from 90 to 140.

Anyway, if you're on Windows, what you could try is to click an empty area in Graindad's User Interface to bring it in focus and hold the Shift key down while clicking the Page Down key on your keyboard. To enlarge it hold Shift + Page up.

Hope this helps.

If not, maybe directly send us an email to support[@]sugar-bytes.de so that we can investigate.

Sorry for the trouble!

Best,
Nadine

Thanks, Nadine. Windows 10, resolution is 2560 x 1440. No scaling in windows, no scaling in ableton. I was able to change the pugin size with the shift page down and up method. After scaling it up, the pugin window is now so big that it doesn't work any longer and i cannot get it to work with my resolution or higher resolutions. Only at lower resolution it can see the plugin window and change the resolution. Is there maybe a settings file that I can delete so that the size can once more be adjusted?
Thank you

Could get it to open again and reduce the size with the shift page down method. All is good now, sorry for the inconvenience :oops:
On the other hand it seems to me that the detection of the monitor specs and the zoom sizes which are then offered might be overhauled a bit. I, for one, would like to have all the different options even at higher screen resolutions...

Sugar Bytes wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:49 pm You can use the Midi Recording feature to record a sample into it. Just set Record Mode to Midi (left from the Rec button which is top right).
It would be great if there was an option to save the buffer with the project. Then it would be an instant buy for me. And real parameter values for the automation would be nice, instead having for everything only values scaled between 0 and 1.

btw: i also have problems with the gui size. The shift-page up/down solution helps, but with the very large steps it is not ideal.

So, when you come up with something good sounding, you save the project in your DAW, and when you open the project later, what was in the buffer is gone? You would have to bounce anything to audio in order not to lose it exactly as it was? Or is it not a concern because on opening the project it's not problem to get the sound in the buffer just as it was previously?
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

another boring pad machine 🌜
🇷🇺

Granular or boring, can't have the two.
aliasing plugin owner
:?

Return to “Effects”