JMG Sound Cryostasis - spectral freeze/smear plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Simple but rather elegant and nice spectral freezer tool.

Cryostasis is a spectral inertia effect that can progressively smear your audio until infinitely frozen in time. It features spectral FX and controls to shape the character of the frozen tail. All are controlled by a continuously variable freeze knob or an auto switch that can be timed in milliseconds or musical measures.

https://unitedplugins.com/Cryostasis/?_fid=twin

That's a pretty nice tool, i tryed and i made a short just in case you wanna have a quick listen
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/z2mQT7mJPUk

I just picked it up. Cheers for sharing!
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Yeah it's pretty nice! Can sound really smooth and mellow. Its simplicity is great. I've tried many freezer plugins and this one if the coolest & must fun one to use for me.

for the realtime-play users:
it has in my used host (GP) a latency of 4096 samples, ......= 40ms iirc (or was it 80ms ? )

Funky40 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:50 pm for the realtime-play users:
it has in my used host (GP) a latency of 4096 samples, ......= 40ms iirc (or was it 80ms ? )
It depends on the sample rate you're running at.
That's around 80-90 ms at 44.1-48k, and 40-45 ms at 88.2-96k

Also consider the additional time your DAW needs to get the sound IN and OUT.
In my case it's an extra 13 ms just for that.

And it also depends on what you're playing.
If it's a slow attack instrument it matters less; if you're dealing with fast/percussive attacks it matters a lot more.

I mostly run sessions at 44.1k; generally speaking, when the reported latency goes above 400-500 samples (around 10 milliseconds), I stop considering plugins suited for "real-time playing", unless I'm dealing with very slow attacks.

Niowiad wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:15 am I mostly run sessions at 44.1k; generally speaking, when the reported latency goes above 400-500 samples (around 10 milliseconds), I stop considering plugins suited for "real-time playing", unless I'm dealing with very slow attacks.
thanks fro clarifictaion vs. the numbers.
yeah, same vs. slow attacks respectivly a "Ambient feel" context.

I try to stay at not higher than like 12ms. Often enough its still more like 20ms right now.
so, its a thema.......

Did grab it too. Not a hopeless thing, can squeeze out interesting textures. But regards price i would say 19 bucks it's rather regular for that work. Whereas 79 definitely joke.

c_voltage wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:33 pm Did grab it too. Not a hopeless thing, can squeeze out interesting textures. But regards price i would say 19 bucks it's rather regular for that work. Whereas 79 definitely joke.
But it helps to get you over the fence… (old marketing trick…; - )
I like it so far, its different than a freeze verb which I used to use…
The 4096 samples is the FFT size btw. Any FFT based fx can be around that, at least if you want decent spectral resolution…
The smearing is done by randomizing the phase and on smaller FFT sizes, the pitch would detune too much…

fun plugin, any alternatives to compare with?

robindrieghe wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:33 pm fun plugin, any alternatives to compare with?
Polyverse Comet
112dB Mikron
Eventide Blackhole to some degree

Although Cryostasis has that special timed knob control and trigger which is unique as far as I have seen and is really the point of it.

c_voltage wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:33 pm Did grab it too. Not a hopeless thing, can squeeze out interesting textures. But regards price i would say 19 bucks it's rather regular for that work. Whereas 79 definitely joke.
true.

Return to “Effects”