UVI Falcon - hybrid instrument - version 3.01 released - rumors, ads, praise, mud wrestling and off-topic inside!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:54 pm Cheers.

The Falcon update is pretty great, but again another release means UVI Portal's virtually unusably slow for a few days. For the sake of the planet* please UVI try and introduce a 'deltas only' update option that doesn't require downloading gigabytes of sample library when only a tiny percentage of things has changed.

* Just like Hansel, the Earth is so hot right now.
The incremental update is not trivial but this is something that we would like to do at some point.
Does someone in the industry already do that ?
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

Thanks for the continued amazing VFM - Falcon is becoming like the Logic of plugins

otristan wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:14 pm

The Falcon update is pretty great, but again another release means UVI Portal's virtually unusably slow for a few days. For the sake of the planet* please UVI try and introduce a 'deltas only' update option that doesn't require downloading gigabytes of sample library when only a tiny percentage of things has changed.

The incremental update is not trivial but this is something that we would like to do at some point.
Don't know about the music software industry, but it was something I had to implement back in the day when most people only had ISDN at most and I worked for a company who'd have sales people travelling to visit customers so implemented FTP transfers of just the changed data. Obviously you guys currently use a monolithic structure file, but there's no reason that monolithic file couldn't internally be a zip or similarly protected/compressed archive of a bunch of different samples and files so you'd only need to track the changes for each file. I'm guessing when you have a bunch of samples at the heart of an instrument and it gets patched you're mostly leaving the samples themselves intact so you'd only need to update the parts that relate to code changes in Falcon etc. Even if the sample binaries do change there are code libraries out there that can calculate the differences between versions and apply them without needing a download of literally everything each time.

Most commonly seen these days in backup utilities that you can set to backup just the day's changes.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Might be good to consider removing the bundled iLok and just add a page in the installer pointing the user to the official iLok website. You’d save 200-300 MB on each download, and it’ll spare existing iLok users from the annoyance of trying to install iLok again and again.

UVI portal isn't working very well. has frozen on me. i know there's probably lot's of traffic on the server w/the update.. but i can't quit the portal normally. i have to force quit. On mac apple silicon, monterey.

i was able to download the update to falcon and the factory library at uvi.net. in my account. the portal just seems fubar'd right now. it managed to install the update to itself but beyond that it's just in a kind of logjam.

edit: seems to have sorted itself out. must've just been all the traffic from people downloading the Falcon update :)
Last edited by dayjob on Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Very much looking forward to experimenting with the new extract pitch envelope feature. Thanks for implementing it.
“Sometimes you have to play a long time to be able to play like yourself.” -Miles Davis

Fantastic update! But I do get a repeatable crash doing something that's probably not very bright.
In both the stand-alone and the plugin (AU, VST2, and VST3), add a Slice oscillator, then (and this is the not very bright part) without adding a sample, add a Slice Remixer. Result: instant crash.

If I do add a sample before adding the Slice Remixer, no crash.
And if I do it the other way around (Remixer first, then Slice oscillator), it also works - no crash.

BeeDog wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:30 pm Might be good to consider removing the bundled iLok and just add a page in the installer pointing the user to the official iLok website. You’d save 200-300 MB on each download, and it’ll spare existing iLok users from the annoyance of trying to install iLok again and again.
+1

I'm getting constant crashes on mac, both VST and Standalone, when editing, it seems random.

Dual Delay X is very comprehensive in feature set, really good.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

Une autre brillante mise à jour de Falcon! Merci UVI!

Thank you UVI for an amazing update to an already amazing instrument! And that this update is free? No words can fully convey my gratitude. Cheers!

Wonderful update indeed :tu:

Yes. Spectrasonics does for Omnisphere.

Great SOLID Update UVI !!
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

Return to “Instruments”