2022: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2022)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The OXIONE is cool, but if not for the earlybird price, I wouldn't have bought it. IMO the retail pricing is
too high. I can't even get it to sync with Reaper or Waveform as it inexplicably doesn't support MTC. At
least not that I can figure out. It does have a lot of neat features, but they often are not overly practical
to use imo. :shrug:

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:07 pm It definitely has some nice features. I’ve got an MS20 mini and it’s handy that it can output CV as either v/oct and Hz/v, the multi drum channel is good and there is some very nice fill functionality which can work on gates and also pitch to a quantised scale of your choice. I just wish it lit up more than the screen and the selected steps as you need to be aware of what you need to choose for different options, it’s harder to remember what things to click on than the Elektrons and that’s saying something.

For CV sequencing on eurorack I’ve got a Westlicht Performer and it’s the absolute tits.*

* as in, I like it.
I keep seeing the Westlicht Performer in different setups. Its very tempting, but I've maxed out hp. I was hoping to build out the system in a dedicated eurorack case, but I think I can safely say will be a 2023 plan.

It's too bad they didn't take note of Elektron and how it utilizes the display. Even on Opsix they sort of copied the Elektron way (but is still a bit more difficult than it needs to be).

I think this will be fun and hopefully, I won't get hung up on some of those key combinations.

My Cirklon2 waiting list thing should be up soon. If I can swing that one, I should be able to close the door on sequencers. :tu:

OK, I thought I was done this year but just picked up an as new M8 Tracker over at Elektronoughts for £500, too good to miss...should be here tomorrow :-)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

pekbro wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:25 pm My Cirklon2 waiting list thing should be up soon. If I can swing that one, I should be able to close the door on sequencers. :tu:
How long were you on the waiting list?

I'm seeing some say as many as four years!

elxsound wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:56 pm
pekbro wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:25 pm My Cirklon2 waiting list thing should be up soon. If I can swing that one, I should be able to close the door on sequencers. :tu:
How long were you on the waiting list?

I'm seeing some say as many as four years!
A couple years now, reportedly you can contact them if it goes longer and get fixed up. I need to have the money ready before I do that. Heh

Found a nice SKB flip-top mixer case on Craigslist for $75...

I'm planning on using this as part of a performance setup along with my Octatrack and Analog Four. I may swap out Clouds for something else but I'm not sure what.
The 1u panel of jacks is mostly for converting 1/8" to banana jacks but it can be used for distributing signals too, like the MN CV bus. I'd like to add some LEDs so that it's easier to see how signals are routed and y'know, for the blinken lights :D

pekbro wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:00 pm The OXIONE is cool, but if not for the earlybird price, I wouldn't have bought it. IMO the retail pricing is
too high. I can't even get it to sync with Reaper or Waveform as it inexplicably doesn't support MTC. At
least not that I can figure out. It does have a lot of neat features, but they often are not overly practical
V3 firmware ready- twice as many features now! https://oxiinstruments.com/forum/d/599-30-whats-new/2
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:57 pm
pekbro wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:00 pm The OXIONE is cool, but if not for the earlybird price, I wouldn't have bought it. IMO the retail pricing is
V3 firmware ready- twice as many features now! https://oxiinstruments.com/forum/d/599-30-whats-new/2
Cool, yeah I shouldn't really hold the MTC thing against OXI, it works fine with Live and Reason
and others, Reaper and Waveform should really support it as easily these days. :shrug:

pekbro wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:47 pm
Cool, yeah I shouldn't really hold the MTC thing against OXI, it works fine with Live and Reason
and others, Reaper and Waveform should really support it as easily these days. :shrug:
Does the OXI use MTC for sync? I was under the impression that MTC has no notion of tempo. I've only used MTC for syncing hard disk recorders, so it's not my area of expertise. I assumed that like most sequencers, it would sync to MIDI Beat Clock, which you can send from Reaper... but if you want to use the OXI as your clock/transport then I guess it doesn't support incoming MIDI clock but I'm certainly not a Reaper expert.

justin3am wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:56 pm
pekbro wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:47 pm
Does the OXI use MTC for sync? I was under the impression that MTC has no notion of tempo. I've only used MTC for syncing hard disk recorders, so it's not my area of expertise. I assumed that like most sequencers, it would sync to MIDI Beat Clock, which you can send from Reaper... but if you want to use the OXI as your clock/transport then I guess it doesn't support incoming MIDI clock but I'm certainly not a Reaper expert.
No it doesn't, it just uses ppq I guess. Reaper is one DAW that I can't get to sync with it at all,
when most stuff that I use does, no problem. Reaper supports a number of timing methods, none
of which work with the OXIONE AFAIK. :shrug:

Hmm... Yeah, if we're talking PPQ, it's probably expecting MIDI clock, which Reaper can send. Here is an image which shows how to sync our products with Reaper, if it helps (at the risk to telling you something you already know :) ).

Regarding Cirklon... the long wait has always kept me from ordering one. There were a few times when I considered buying one second hand but folks are asking a lot for the most recent units and I'm very happy with my Five12 Vector, for most things.
That said, I've occasionally considered building a SEQ V4+ from MIDIphy: https://www.midiphy.com/en/mbseq-v4-/
Their Loopa also looks really cool. They both have some neat tricks and I'm a sucker for DIY projects.

Cripes that sounds lush...
https://youtu.be/I5kYz20Yw9A

justin3am wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:16 pm Cripes that sounds lush...
https://youtu.be/I5kYz20Yw9A
Lush is right. I'm scared to ask how much... there are no prices on their site. :scared:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”