FL Studio 21 looks promising

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Have to say, FL Studio 21 looks pretty promising:
https://forum.image-line.com/viewtopic. ... 0&t=288463

And it seems the release might be quite near? :o

It's amazing that they keep adding great features. Amazing work that team does. I've tried it a few times and ultimately the workflow doesnt click with me but it's a fantastic DAW and value.

I've tried FL at least 5 x's over the past 15 years, and it never stuck. Tried the demo yesterday and it seems like a lot of the workflow improvements they've implemented finally did the trick. Was able to get up and running with it quick. The fact that a cheap and usable dedicated controller exists makes it that much better. Looks like I'm going to finally pull the trigger and purchase.
What sound do dreams make when they die?

I started out on FL Studio in 2012, I always had issues with 3rd party plugins crashing or using way more CPU than they should. the last version I tried was 20 in 2018 but the mixer used up way more CPU then it should. Upon seeing videos of other daws and them effortlessly drag+dropping the plugins between mixing tracks and having loads of plugins running, plus convenience like 1 track = 1 instrument = 1 mixer track all automatically assigned instead of the weird thing you did in FL studio. I decided to finally just switch. I tried logic, studio one, but settled on Cubase.

I barely have any crashes now, I never run out of CPU headroom, I feel like I wasted so much time cause I was struggling to run my projects before in FL Studio. Like Amplitube and Bias FX. I was trying to make 4 guitar tracks with different amp sims, I think after about 9 ampsims and my CPU would already be reading 90% or so...

In other daws I could load literally like 5x as much ampsims or so. I forgot but i havent tested in a long time...

However I did love FL studio for it's piano roll and quick midi editing. If it ever gets optimized enough I'll try it out again

I've been using FL Studio since somewhere around or before version 3 and it's been my main DAW for my synth based stuff ever since. I have 5 other DAWs and have spent time with them but always go back to FLS.

It does have some quirks that I don't like at all but no DAW is perfect. :shrug:

Version 21 does look very promising and along with themes we get a new Reverb, Multi-Band Delay, and Vintage Phaser....all for free.

My update cost to go from version 3 to version 21 over the years ? Zero, not one penny. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Started using FL 11 when I first started making music, and left the DAW when it was FL 20 and went into S1. Just because of recording and audio editing workflow. Making beats on FL was super great but recording vocal takes and organizing, and mixing them was a pain.

In the new one, it seems like they made recording/audio editing more like a traditional DAW and it looks great. I still have the license so I will try 21 but I'm not sure if I can still switch from S1 to FL now.
Mostly because S1 CPU performance is at least 5 times better than FL, at least for me. I can mix/record and master a song with 128 or even 64 block size in S1, while in FL I have to use 512 or more.

On the other hand, I wish, the beatmaking workflow (fun and fast) and piano roll functionality were much like FL in S1.

Edit: FL team is also very active in their forum about the development of their DAW and detailed change logs. I can't see the same with S1 and it's sad. There is no detailed change log for S1 v6 as far as I am aware.

I used Reaper and Cakewalk for my guitar based stuff. Not that I couldn't do it in FL Studio but those DAWs just fit the task better for me.

I don't find FL Studio uses five times more CPU than the other DAWs I own. Remember FL's Meter is not a CPU meter but an audio buffer meter. The percentage of the audio buffer used as opposed to the CPU demand.

Anyway it wouldn't hurt to give your feedback about CPU demand to Image-Line on their forums.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I have FL Studio but must admit I only use it occasionally and even then, more as a drum machine/groove box (as the pattern-based workflow seems to suit that style). I was under the impression '21' was going to be a major update with structural/workflow changes- is that still the case or are the just adding a few new gadgets, a theme maker and envelope fades etc. (Don't get me wrong, all great for free)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Vortifex wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:26 pm Every single theme posted on the Themes thread on the IL forums looks worse than the default one. Maybe they didn't make the editor comprehensive enough.
The theme engine is a work in progress and there isn't a lot of fine control yet. I'm sure improvements to the theme system will come in time.

"Looks worse" is a matter of personal opinion as obviously those who created the themes think they look good.

As with any product that allows themeing there are going to be some eye searing ugly themes (in my opinion at least). Why some people think they need to use every garish color and shade in the spectrum is beyond me but hey to each his own. But there are also going to be some that I prefer over the default which I have grown tired of looking at since 2001 or 2002-ish.

I've already cobbled together a couple that I will be using over the default but they're incomplete as of now due to the current limitations of the theme engine.

I don't hate the default but it's just nice to look at something fresh after all these years. I use FL on a daily basis and the change is like a breath of fresh air. :tu:

SLiC wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:43 pm I have FL Studio but must admit I only use it occasionally and even then, more as a drum machine/groove box (as the pattern-based workflow seems to suit that style). I was under the impression '21' was going to be a major update with structural/workflow changes- is that still the case or are the just adding a few new gadgets, a theme maker and envelope fades etc. (Don't get me wrong, all great for free)
You can see the recent changes here:

https://forum.image-line.com/viewtopic. ... 0&t=288463

I don't know what "structural/workflow changes" you're looking for.

I do have one major workflow change I'd like to see and have been on them about it for years.

I think that MW, PB, and AT data should be copied along with note on/off and velocity data but alas they are not. That disconnection goes back to Gol's complete lack of understanding of and hatred for all things MIDI. I was hoping after he stepped aside the situation would change but so far no luck.

They do listen to user feedback but their hearing can be very selective. :?

Chanel rack- love it, get it- often use it as the best/easiest step sequencer I know...
Mixer- super easy- love the way it works
Piano roll- I guess everyone is fed of hearing how good this is...
Browser- OK (hate the font, hope that can be edited in themes!)

And then the issue- Playlist/arrangement - still feels like a drum machine/pattern arranger to me, I am never inspired to record live audio or a guitar track. I know it can be done, but it just doesn't intuitive to me.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

when you pair fl studio with reaper
you have the best of both world

i switched from bitwig to fl studio
and you are right the editor is limited but with reaper its great

bth daw have a very good price policy so lets have fun :)

FL lost me with the new server dependent activation method. I've moved to Reaper.
eh?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”