Lost In A Backseat [Synthwave/(pop?) - Guitar and Sax]

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Everyone,

Upbeat 80's-ish Synthwave track with what I think are good vibes, Instrumental with Guitar and Sax. The feedback I got on my last post was very educational, and I hope my stereo-width and mix is a little cleaner this time around.

This is my second submission here, any feedback is very helpful to me, and very appreciated. There are some very talented people here, so thank you very much for the listen.

Recorded and mixed in Reaper Sept/Oct 2022
Line 6 Helix Native
U-he Diva
Superior Drummer 3 and Sitala
Brainworx Masterdesk and some color boxes.

https://soundcloud.com/user-184052760-333580010

A bit repetitive, but you nailed the genre...very nice! Reminds me of The Midnight band.

What an 80's reminder to me. Reminds me of my youth as well, when I was playing GTA: Vice City. Outrun synth kind of music.

Good stereo, guitar and sax. I enjoyed the listen for both tracks.

Very nice recording.
Clean and melodic lines.
Lovely music.
Rene

Thanks for the listens and the positive feedback. Kross, I agree now that I've stepped back from it a bit, and will I trounce some kick variance and make some room for vocal melodies

Diva is my favorite synth I don't own. I've wanted it for ages, but not for some reason taken the final step to buy it. I bought Omnisphere, and there's significant enough crossover between that and Diva.
Anyway, to your music. I like the vibe and its nice and melodic. Sax and guitar are good.
However, the track has far too much hi-end. Its unbalanced between high, low and mid. The high end needs to be tamed imho and the low/mid enhanced a touch.

Thanks Bansaw. I think you're right, I can certainly do that, and I really appreciate the feedback.

In regards to Diva, I was in the same boat, and treated myself this year on my birthday. Worth it in my opinion. I really like working with it. Maybe one of these years I can justify Omnisphere!

I loved them both. You really nailed the synthwave sound.

Hey 23, thanks for that! Since I'll never be a member of Def Leppard, this is as close as I can retreat to my formative years. I take your comment as a productivity boost!

This is amazing. Are you really relatively new to making music? I would say you are a ton better than me and I been at it for like 20 years or so. So awesome you decided to start posting here. I think you have a lot of good stuff to offer! It's awesome hoe open you are to criticism too. That will just help you get better and better. I do think you need to work on your mixing skills some but your composition is not lacking at all.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

The start is promising. Then a lead electric guitar in the middle: is it hardware played
or multisample? In any case, it sounds good, the melody line repeats itself - with slight
variations. Overall very spatial, melodic - a great song! :tu:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

ATS wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:30 am I would say you are a ton better than me and I been at it for like 20 years or so.
Alex - that's super kind of you, but we both know it's not true.

I played guitar through my college years (decades ago, yikes.) in a party/cover band, (and remember when Rebirth was launched) but decided to explore music again in 2020 when everybody was seeking indoor hobbies. Gotta say, what a time to be alive for making music. I did a lot of research, settled on Reaper due to Cockos' business model, went though a second stage (in life) of GAS, and am now here, hoping someone can tear a hole in something they hear so I can learn a lesson or two.

I really appreciate your listens and feedback, and maybe I can pose a newb question to you (in regards to my mixes), and maybe you can compass me in the right direction:

My curves line up with my references...where the heck is my low-end disappearing to!?

You guys are going to make me kick a kid out of a bedroom so I can treat some walls, aren't you?

enroe wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:40 am The start is promising. Then a lead electric guitar in the middle: is it hardware played
or multisample? In any case, it sounds good, the melody line repeats itself - with slight
variations. Overall very spatial, melodic - a great song! :tu:
Thanks Enroe, I watched a bunch of your vids on YouTube last night, you guys are a good listen.

My guitar is probably over-convoluted, but it got me to stop tone-chasing and start recording, so if you're interested, here's a novel:

Mid 90's Jazzmaster split to to Hotrod Deville 4x10 mic and to DI. ReaTune to "MIDI-ize" input from DI, MIDI to Stratus 3 through Helix Native Sim of an Orange 120 and MB Dual Rec signal chain I built simply called "Synthwave Lead". Then it's blended about 35-40% HotRod and 60%ish Helix.

It gives me a tone I really like and also hides quite a bit of my flubs being a 15-20 years-out-of-practice-never-better-than-mediocre-even-at-peak-performance-guitarist.

Thanks again for the listen!

Return to “Music Cafe”