RNBO By Cycling74- Export Max patches to hardware and VST

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Very interesting....and add on to MAX ($299 or subscription) that lets you export MAX patches outside of MAX!

Raspberry Pi export
VST3 (PC/Linux/MAc) or AudioUnit Plugin
Embed your RNBO sound engine into a website using Web Export
Generate easy-to-integrate C++ source code
Increase performance and loading times of your Max for Live devices (make like native Live instruments)

https://cycling74.com/products/rnbo
Last edited by SLiC on Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:06 pm Very interesting....and add on to MAX ($299 or subscription) that lets you export MAX patches outside of MAX!
Just to clarify, though, it looks like its not any MAX patch.

RNBO is new sort of a environment 'inside' MAX, with its own set of objects (ie subcomponents), which are primarily RNBO-specific versions of a subset of MAX objects.

You can export RNBO-only patches (or the RNBO-only subpatches of a MAX patch, I think), but not MAX patches which contain non-RNBO objects.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Yes, I have been on it most of tonight…you open a new window from your patcher with the RNBO (rainbow) command and you get what looks like an identical MAX patcher but there are some slightly different functions for calling out user editable parameters for example. So far I have been able to drop any synth/fx type max patch, I think it’s all there…graphically it’s limited (just sliders) but it exports samples/audio with the patch and presets etc…pretty nifty for fully cross platform from vst to web to hardware to C!

Most importantly GEN works for export as there is a lot of great code that can be found and dropped in GEN…you can be making hardware pedals with a cheap Pi in no time!

There is a lot of room for improvement (especially on the GUI side) but it’s all there and it’s all working as far as I can tell…this will be a big deal I suspect, not least for the many Max devices that can now be used as a VST in any DAW!

Yeah, my edu MAX subscription is due for renewal anyway, think I'll definitely add RNBO to it.

Im wondering if some of the hardware platforms that MAX can 'sorta' target with Gen via Packages, like OWL, Mod Duo, even the Eventide 9000 might wind up as targets for RNBO too. The cloud-based compilation sounds like the existing targets are just the beginning. If they're taking suggestions, I'd also nominate Daisy Seed...
Definitely got to see if I my Nebulae modules will run RNBO Pi patches that'd be nifty.

whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:51 pm Definitely got to see if I my Nebulae modules will run RNBO Pi patches that'd be nifty.
In fact, I wonder if they'll tailor it for specific Pi-based devices, like the Nebulae or Norns, Organelle...

oh, nice move...

Just the beginning I think….

This is indeed pretty huge
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

It's a (promising) first release of something interesting... At now it's not much diffrent from how currently Gen works and interacts with Max. But I bet new features will be added soon.

RNBO would be a game changer with the addition of :

- an embedded GUI designer.

- a LOCAL, OFFLINE compiler (not based on that damn "cloud").
bruno @ Xhun Audio || www.xhun-audio.com || Twitter || Instagram

xhunaudio wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:46 pm - a LOCAL, OFFLINE compiler (not based on that damn "cloud").
well, it does generate code you can use in your own local offline compiler of choice, but they're specifically saying that they're using a cloud-based compilation system for their targets so that users don't have to juggle multiple complex toolchains.
and having tried to decipher and properly version-match some of the toolchains for various hardware platforms, that does make sense to me. the only 'convenient' one I can think of is the one for Mutable Instrument modules, which is a virtual machine image of a Linux OS with the tools already installed.

If GUI implementation becomes fully featured then I'd definitely consider the investment. Quite excited about this. Two major PD based happenings in the same year! :hyper:

still cant buy the bleeding thing, C74 website wont give me any option to add it to my existing academic subscription.
On the shop page for RNBO it recognises that I do have a current existing academic subscription, but wont let me add RNBO to it. However on the academic shop page, it doesnt accept that I have any license for MAX8 to add RNBO to.
:bang:

Was going to ask if there were any crossgrades from Max4Live to Max, but found it:
https://cycling74.com/products/crossgrade
So the buy-in for M4L users to Max, then RNBO is about five hundred USD, which seems like a lot, but:

It's less than most mid-range pieces of hardware gear, and the temptation to build out kit on a Raspberry PI, etc. - not to mention VSTs, VCV Rack modules, etc. is strong.

And since supply-chain issues means we may be seeing a lot less specialized gear, and being able to drop code in and repurpose something like a PI box is tempting.

Plus, it's an established, active vendor so I've got some confidence in the support.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”