One Synth Challenge #165: BBC Symphony Orchestra Discover by Spitfire Audio (Schiing Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks ELEX. I guess that is a no for me because I have no direct connection available at the DAW.

_A_O_ wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:57 pm Thanks ELEX. I guess that is a no for me because I have no direct connection available at the DAW.
What sort of situations are you all in where you don't have a DAW available to connect to the internet? I'm really curious, I just don't understand, not trying to be confrontational or anything. How have you installed other plugins for OSC? Some of these also required internet.

I don’t have land line internet at home. I get by with mobile and have places to go to get broadband if I need more.

I do not have that much time this month, so this has to be it guys:

https://soundcloud.com/solidtrax/out-of-bullets

12 instances of Spitfires excellent BBC Symphony Orchestra Plug-in Instrument. Scored in Bitwig Studio 4.4. One mix reverb and a couple of tool devices are used, that's it. Enjoy!
Untold Stories Vol.1 - 64 Arturia MiniFreak presets
Analog History - 84 Behringer DeepMind 6/12/12D presets
Earth & Stars - 139 Free Patches for SuperMassive
Website

_A_O_ wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:12 pm I don’t have land line internet at home. I get by with mobile and have places to go to get broadband if I need more.
Can you set up a hotspot on your mobile?

solidtrax wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:55 pm I do not have that much time this month, so this has to be it guys:

12 instances of Spitfires excellent BBC Symphony Orchestra Plug-in Instrument. Scored in Bitwig Studio 4.4. One mix reverb and a couple of tool devices are used, that's it. Enjoy!
Love this.

Erik_Lucas wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:27 pm
solidtrax wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:55 pm I do not have that much time this month, so this has to be it guys:

Love this.
That's cool to read :love: , thanks Erik Lucas!
Untold Stories Vol.1 - 64 Arturia MiniFreak presets
Analog History - 84 Behringer DeepMind 6/12/12D presets
Earth & Stars - 139 Free Patches for SuperMassive
Website

Hello dear people,

here is my submission for this month's challenge:

https://soundcloud.com/julian-olsen-2/j ... al_sharing

Julian Olsen - Best Buddy Competition

Ableton Live Suite 11.2.5

12 Instances of LABS BBC Symphonic Orchestra

Trombone 1 - FabFilter Pro Q3
Bass 1 - FabFilter Pro Q3, Limiter
Percussion - FabFilter Pro Q3, Limiter
Trumpet - none
Violin 1 - Utility
Violin 2 - SoundToys Tremolator
Oboe 1 - none
Cello - none
Trombone 2 - none
Horns - Limiter
Drums - Limiter
Celeste - none

A Valhalla Vintage Reverb - SoundToys Decapitator

Master - Shaperbox, FabFilter Pro Q3, Newfangled Saturate, TDR Kotelnikov, FabFilter Pro Q3, Youlean Loudness Meter 2

I hope you'll enjoy as much listening as I did making it.

Cheerz,

J O

Julian Olsen wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:33 am Hello dear people,

Cheerz,

J O
That's some questing music right there brother!
Good stuff.

AmoralAudio wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:39 am
Julian Olsen wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:33 am Hello dear people,

Cheerz,

J O
That's some questing music right there brother!
Good stuff.
Thank you, glad to read you liked it.

Cheerz,

J O

Ooh, I played around with it a bit in the last couple of days - it's really beautifully put together by Spitfire with less than 200 MB of samples! So here's another entry.

https://soundcloud.com/terjefjelde/anot ... a-discover

48 instances of Spitfire BBC Symphony Orchestra Discover
DAW: Studio One 5.5 Professional

Effects:
bx_rooMS (reverb), StereoToolV3 (spatial), Magnetite (tape emu), Scheps Omni Channel (channel strip), Britson (analog console emu), SplitEQ, GemEQ 550, ProEQ, Frontier (dynamics), Fresh Air EQ, compressor (Studio One), Wires (distortion unit), Binaural Pan

I set up all the instrument articulations on individual channels with 47 tracks, and sent them to four group buses (brass, woodwinds, strings and perc). Britson analog console on all channels and buses. Reverb sends on each individual channel - a bit more on long sounds, a bit less on shorts. Most sound grooming (eq, saturation) on group buses and mix out. Also a touch of compression on the brass bus.

I hope you'll forgive me for using Hainbach's Wires - it's capable of massive distortion, but I turned almost everything down to zero and only used it for a single instrument/phrase to monoize and degrade it slightly at the start of the "lullaby" section at ca. 0.40
Last edited by schiing on Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

schiing wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:52 pm 48 instances of Spitfire BBC Symphony Orchestra Discover
This certainly is a candidate for higher spheres… It seems we get a lot of film music this round…; - )

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:31 am
schiing wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:52 pm 48 instances of Spitfire BBC Symphony Orchestra Discover
This certainly is a candidate for higher spheres… It seems we get a lot of film music this round…; - )
It lends itself well to big soundtracks, so I wouldn't be surprised! There's a lot of "room" in the samples, so I guess it will be harder to create an intimate atmosphere.

My large instance count is mostly to do with workflow, though. The arrangement is pretty faithful to a standard voice count in a symphony orchestra (lack of divisi notwithstanding :wink: ) - so if I had used articulation switches, it would have sufficed with under 20 instances. But it's a nice bonus to have individual reverb slots for longs and shorts with this setup :)
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

IV! wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:15 pm
spridgeon wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:58 pm Maybe a ceiling on entries would help to stop judging from getting out of hand...
But what if someone worked on a track all month and didn't have time to submit it in just a few minutes?
I was thinking that people could register for the contest at the beginning, so you wouldn't start on the track until you knew you were in. I know it's not ideal, but if entries increase to the several hundreds, I suspect a lot of people would be daunted by the amount of judging.

Having trouble with it responding to keyboard velocity. I have the plugin set to full velocity range and linear but all notes play exactly the same at drastically different velocities. Expression and dynamics sliders are all the way up. Tried at 50% as well but no luck. I can't believe you'd need to automate those sliders for dynamics.

Return to “Instruments”