Cherry Audio Releases Rackmode Signal Processors, Moog FX Emulations

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

RikkShow wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:15 am
The drive in the units do not behave like a good drive, say like Blamsoft or PA Elysia Karakter, two that ARE very good. The Rackmode goes from barely anything into distortion as one example.
Not everything is supposed to be pushed into the Red and there is a slight Difference between Distortion and THD. Some Plugins are just meant to do more subtle Things, like Klanghelm or VoS for Example. Those need proper Gain - staging and should be used more carefully than an Overdrive - Pedal. Just in General & Something to keep in Mind when 'judging' Non - Linearities in new Plugins.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:57 pm No, he is not! Speech synthesis is just such a complex DSP area that most coders can‘t wrap their head around it…
Sure, and a foot doctor and a brain surgeon doctor can swap places any day :hyper:
A doc is a doc, ya know...

El°HYM wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:20 pm
The drive in the units do not behave like a good drive, say like Blamsoft or PA Elysia Karakter, two that ARE very good. The Rackmode goes from barely anything into distortion as one example.
Not everything is supposed to be pushed into the Red and there is a slight Difference between Distortion and THD. Some Plugins are just meant to do more subtle Things, like Klanghelm or VoS for Example. Those need proper Gain - staging and should be used more carefully than an Overdrive - Pedal. Just in General & Something to keep in Mind when 'judging' Non - Linearities in new Plugins.
The knob literally says "drive", just like I stated above, NOT distortion, overdrive, or THD. Have you not even tried the plugins? And as a drive it doesn't sound very good when you drive the "drive"... I compared to other units that ARE best in class for drive, so IF a "DSP guru" lives up to his marketing name of guru then the Cherry drive should also sound good, but it doesn't. Suggest you actually try the plugin before commenting as it sounds you have not.

RikkShow wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:45 pm
Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:57 pm No, he is not! Speech synthesis is just such a complex DSP area that most coders can‘t wrap their head around it…
Sure, and a foot doctor and a brain surgeon doctor can swap places any day :hyper:
A doc is a doc, ya know...
Only the brain doc can…

RikkShow wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:54 pm
El°HYM wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:20 pm
The knob literally says "drive", just like I stated above, NOT distortion, overdrive, or THD. Have you not even tried the plugins? And as a drive it doesn't sound very good when you drive the "drive"... I compared to other units that ARE best in class for drive, so IF a "DSP guru" lives up to his marketing name of guru then the Cherry drive should also sound good, but it doesn't. Suggest you actually try the plugin before commenting as it sounds you have not.
Try Gain - staging, or just visit an Audio - Engineering - School. :tu:

I don't know what he means by not sounding good, but from what I've seen, the "drive" is not even "sounding" at all, at normal/production loudness levels.
And by that I mean, testing with a sinewave going into any of the Rackmode EQs, it literally needs to be louder than 0 dBFS (yes, 0 dBFS, so I even had to attenuate the master channel) in order to start seeing some harmonics on the frequency spectrum. And at that point, it also breaks up quite abruptly in a range of a couple dB.

Alternatively send it in at 0 dBFS, then give it an extra 7-8 dB from the DRIVE knob or EQ band gain.
If you are at normal levels like -15 (even -10) and crank the DRIVE knob all the way up, nothing happens, still a perfectly clean sinewave.

All in all it seems like the clipping threshold is set way too high.

Niowiad wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:45 am And at that point, it also breaks up quite abruptly in a range of a couple dB.

All in all it seems like the clipping threshold is set way too high.
Yep, that is what happens, sudden breakup, like a poorly designed clipper, and you certainly need to push it hard. Not DSP guru stuff in my book.

El°HYM wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:41 am
Guess, you don't understand you only make a fool out yourself when you don't know what you are talking about. Maybe you need to learn to test and listen first before you voice an opinion. If you did and still say the same, I say you are the one who needs to learn stuff. Stop being silly or trolling or whatever you trying to do. You add nothing to the discussion that way ... :ud:

RikkShow wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:54 pm
El°HYM wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:41 am
Guess, you don't understand you only make a fool out yourself when you don't know what you are talking about. Maybe you need to learn to test and listen first before you voice an opinion. If you did and still say the same, I say you are the one who needs to learn stuff. Stop being silly or trolling or whatever you trying to do. You add nothing to the discussion that way ... :ud:
Maybe you should just read the Manual. :help:
https://docs.cherryaudio.com/cherry-aud ... de/para-eq

tq wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:01 pm :dog:
Well, he's been just in the business of coding for 40+ years. His text-to-speech system SAM was written in 1980. And he coded for Apple already in the early 1980s, too. Sure, he's a noob to DSP. :hihi:
You are confusing speech synthesis with audio DSP. AFAIK he was a speech synthesis pioneer who developed the very early computer (glitchy) speech stuff. Very cool back then. Modern speech synthesis is 99% indistinguishable from real human speech. If he was involved in the modern stuff then he is also a speech synthesis guru imo. But since he recently moved into audio DSP and only has a pedigree with Cherry you cannot really say he is an audio DSP guru based on that. It would be just as incorrect as saying a Pascal programmer is a C++ guru soon after getting into C++. So there is that. But what matters is how it sounds, and I was a bit underwhelmed.
Don't be silly, I am not confusing anything here. You just try to define DSP as narrow as possible so that it fits your argument. Just look it up on Wikipedia, and you will certainly find speech synthesis mentioned there, as it played a relevant role in the early development of DSPs. The old timers among us know that... :hihi: In that sense, Cherry's marketing is totally correct. Also, you said that he just has a history in the "analogue worlds", which is nonsense.

You don't like the product, which is fine. But then criticize it for what is relevant here, and not on the basis of a (IMHO ridiculous) criticism of Barton as a 'newbie to coding'.

tq wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:24 pm
tq wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:01 pm :dog:
Well, he's been just in the business of coding for 40+ years. His text-to-speech system SAM was written in 1980. And he coded for Apple already in the early 1980s, too. Sure, he's a noob to DSP. :hihi:
You are confusing speech synthesis with audio DSP. AFAIK he was a speech synthesis pioneer who developed the very early computer (glitchy) speech stuff. Very cool back then. Modern speech synthesis is 99% indistinguishable from real human speech. If he was involved in the modern stuff then he is also a speech synthesis guru imo. But since he recently moved into audio DSP and only has a pedigree with Cherry you cannot really say he is an audio DSP guru based on that. It would be just as incorrect as saying a Pascal programmer is a C++ guru soon after getting into C++. So there is that. But what matters is how it sounds, and I was a bit underwhelmed.
Don't be silly, I am not confusing anything here. You just try to define DSP as narrow as possible so that it fits your argument. Just look it up on Wikipedia, and you will certainly find speech synthesis mentioned there, as it played a relevant role in the early development of DSPs. The old timers among us know that... :hihi: In that sense, Cherry's marketing is totally correct. Also, you said that he just has a history in the "analogue worlds", which is nonsense.

You don't like the product, which is fine. But then criticize it for what is relevant here, and not on the basis of a (IMHO ridiculous) criticism of Barton as a 'newbie to coding'.
I’ve corresponded with MRB several times over the past couple of months wherein we discussed his methods of circuit modeling. He’s a brilliant dude and is by no means a newbie.

I must admit I was a little underwhelmed with rackmode at first - I'm sure it IS true to the hardware but I guess I was expecting more drastic effects somehow..?
Anyway the string filter is extraordinary! I need to dig in to the others some more but I don't personally have anything else that does what the string filter does and I'm loving it!

Would be good if they actually came with some presets to show them off better (the module versions don't anyway)

Return to “Effects”