One Synth Challenge #165: BBC Symphony Orchestra Discover by Spitfire Audio (Schiing Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

puma17 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:29 pm Quick question - anyone knows if it's possible to reduce the amount of built-in reverb in the instruments of BBCSO? I find it hard to get "dry" sounds... (yes, it sounds gorgeous, but I need to control the reverb myself)
Not really, BUT you can access the "release" parameter and set it to 0, which has effect on some intruments/articulations, but not all. This helps a bit, but ultimately you'll have to accept the given mix. Some stunning A.I. EQs can reduce the impression of the reverb, but well...

Mike777 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:33 pm
solidtrax wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:55 pm I do not have that much time this month, so this has to be it guys:

https://soundcloud.com/solidtrax/out-of-bullets

12 instances of Spitfires excellent BBC Symphony Orchestra Plug-in Instrument. Scored in Bitwig Studio 4.4. One mix reverb and a couple of tool devices are used, that's it. Enjoy!
This is a masterpiece.
Thanks! :hug: :tu:
Untold Stories Vol.1 - 64 Arturia MiniFreak presets
Analog History - 84 Behringer DeepMind 6/12/12D presets
Earth & Stars - 139 Free Patches for SuperMassive
Website

Taron wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:05 pm Not really, BUT you can access the "release" parameter and set it to 0, which has effect on some intruments/articulations, but not all. This helps a bit, but ultimately you'll have to accept the given mix. Some stunning A.I. EQs can reduce the impression of the reverb, but well...
Thanks. Yes, I tried the "release", and as you noted it has a very limited effect. I tried regular-human EQ, but the side effect was not acceptable.

Am trying now MIDI envelope (mimic the ADSR effect with MIDI volume parameter). Painful... But maybe better than nothing

My advice is really to not try and fight it too much. Just adjust your intention a bit too embrace what it offers. Another curious possibility to control the "space" is to set global tune up by an octave or two for the instruments that could survive that pitch. It will compress the room dramatically until it's basically a tight chamber, haha. Can make for some neat effects.

More possibilities with greater effort... try to center instruments and exclude the sides. Then you may pan them again and it should take off plenty of the stereo reverb, which you may then replace with your own?! Haven't tried it, but I just had to think of it.

Taron wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:26 pm My advice is really to not try and fight it too much. Just adjust your intention a bit too embrace what it offers. Another curious possibility to control the "space" is to set global tune up by an octave or two for the instruments that could survive that pitch. It will compress the room dramatically until it's basically a tight chamber, haha. Can make for some neat effects.

More possibilities with greater effort... try to center instruments and exclude the sides. Then you may pan them again and it should take off plenty of the stereo reverb, which you may then replace with your own?! Haven't tried it, but I just had to think of it.
Very creative indeed !
Have already discovered the "tune" control, and am using it to create some interesting sounds. My problem is more with low-freq reverb. Interesting trick with the pan and stereo.

Regarding the "embrace it as it is" - well, I was about to do it but an inner devil asked for a fun ride and I agreed :) Worst case is a classical piece. I'm trying for something completely different (as is the title of the challenge)

Hehehe, yeah, I honestly was kicking that idea around myself, totally flipping Discover on its head and so some off-the-wall alternative.
Actually, especially things like Horns work surprisingly well at 7ct - and octave up. Strings really become awkward, but their own kind of sound, too.
Percussion are tons of fun pitched up, though!
As for using Global Tune, if you check out my W.I.P, you'll hear plenty of it for pseudo portamento and slurs in the strings. Works beautifully well, if you're careful enough!

Here's my submission, I hope you enjoy it!

It has 61 instances of BBC Symphony Orchestra Discover in Ableton Live Suite.
Plugins used: Convolution Reverb Pro, EQ Eight (both from Ableton), EchoBoy Jr, Pro-Q 3, Eos 2, Raum, Replika, Pro-L 2

https://soundcloud.com/envlpx/envlpx-the-northern-road

Taron wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:00 pm ... as for using Global Tune, if you check out my W.I.P, you'll hear plenty of it for pseudo portamento and slurs in the strings. Works beautifully well, if you're careful enough!
Now that you said it, I gave it another listen - and yes, beautifully done.
I'm exploring a much more drastic effect, but I'm in a pre-W.I.P stage. Hope to have something soon

puma17 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:29 pm Quick question - anyone knows if it's possible to reduce the amount of built-in reverb in the instruments of BBCSO? I find it hard to get "dry" sounds... (yes, it sounds gorgeous, but I need to control the reverb myself)
Afaik, the only options in that regard are setting the reverb slider and 'release' to zero. The latter is only available as automation target.

I found this discussion at the Steinberg forum: BBCSO Discover Reverb
https://forums.steinberg.net/t/bbcso-di ... erb/158908

The reverb is apparently baked in with Discover. There is no totally "dry" setting. I think the Pro version has some mic options, but the recording venue had some natural room reverb.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:34 pm I found this discussion at the Steinberg forum: BBCSO Discover Reverb
https://forums.steinberg.net/t/bbcso-di ... erb/158908
The reverb is apparently baked in with Discover. There is no totally "dry" setting. I think the Pro version has some mic options, but the recording venue had some natural room reverb.
Thank you !
It seems that this is indeed the case, either the venue or the post processing :)

It’s done deliberately I think, because the ambience created during the recording of a large ensemble - spread out across the room - sounds more natural than an IR where the reverberations all come from the same central point in the room.

Taron wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:00 pm As for using Global Tune, if you check out my W.I.P, you'll hear plenty of it for pseudo portamento and slurs in the strings. Works beautifully well, if you're careful enough!
Yep, but as you say, you have to be very careful with the amounts to keep it "natural" ... you did ... well done.

dB
PS. Still battling with COVID, brain a bit disfunctional, so may string together ideas into "movements" and leave it at that. Bottom place is fine by me this round .... brain just not up to it - sorry, as this would have been a great round for me with this orchestral sampler!

No better cure than making music, Rob! Relax over it and you'll have a nice time and proper distraction. Plus you get to focus on music and won't have to wrestle with a synth.
Get well, my friend and allow yourself to heal! :hug:

Wishing you a speedy recovery dB. +1 on stringing your ideas together, who knows what you may end up with!

This time my self-imposed challenge was to create a main theme exploiting it as much as possible, typical of a film soundtrack, and much of this came from putting ideas together with most of the challenge in trying to get the transitions right. :pray:

Take care and looking forward to hearing what you come up with. :tu:

Return to “Instruments”