Why did you leave Studio One?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Both Studio One and Ableton are not very stable. Ableton Live used to be worse but since after S1 5 and Live 11, the situation reversed.
Live 11 has gotten much fewer crashes nowm S1 5 and 6 is crashfest and a S1 5.5 corrupted project blown 2 of my Amphion One18 tweeters and cost me $500 to replace both.

I left quickly because of the user interface: I just can't wrap my mind around the bizzarely disconnected hardware metaphors. A bus is just another track, and you shouldn't have to duplicate information vertically and horizontally. I can't make heads or tails out of the standard interface, but it probably makes perfect sense if you've worked in a hardware studio or are treating sound as something separate from composition and parts. (Probably also why the rest of you produce better results! :hihi:)
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

jamcat wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:09 pm
D-Fusion wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:35 am I haven't Left Studio one but be aware of this problem ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaqNs_9 ... MonosBeats

Watching this guy make music is like watching a monkey on a typewriter.
I think he took it slow to make it clear on why and how it happens and not to make a song.

It Could also be that he made it this way to send to the Presonus team for troubleshooting and they wanted it as detailed as possible.
Last edited by D-Fusion on Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

darkinners wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:46 am Both Studio One and Ableton are not very stable. Ableton Live used to be worse but since after S1 5 and Live 11, the situation reversed.
Live 11 has gotten much fewer crashes nowm S1 5 and 6 is crashfest and a S1 5.5 corrupted project blown 2 of my Amphion One18 tweeters and cost me $500 to replace both.
Sounds like you have an issue with your setup.

I have been testing the S1-6 demo for a couple of weeks now and have no problems to report. No crashes at all. i suspect that most crashes are down to a dodgy plugin bringing the show to an end. I mostly run VST3 plugins now, and have no more than a dozen VST2 plugins in my 64 folder because they do not have VST3 equivalents. Some people have hundreds, if not thousands of plugins, in various folders, and blame it on a DAW, when its probably plugin related.
Last edited by dellboy on Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

In my experience, all common DAW's are very stable. The only DAW's which ever crashed on me more than once are Darkwave Studio and Temper. :lol:

Ok, Cubase in one version (can't remember exactly which one now) had a tendency to crash when you closed it. But, I never experienced that again after that version.

Logic never crashes on me. Ableton hasn't crashed on my since version 10, and even before that crashes were very rare. Studio One has crached once. I think it was the FLStudio VST crashing it, which it does in all DAWs for me in MacOS.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

I'm trying to figure that out now between Studio One vs Cubase 12. From anyone who uses both, which out the two are more stable?

spaceman wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:38 pm Logic never crashes on me. Ableton hasn't crashed on my since version 10, and even before that crashes were very rare. Studio One has crached once. I think it was the FLStudio VST crashing it, which it does in all DAWs for me in MacOS.
Logic in general pretty stable vs other DAW's you use?

wuworld wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:53 pm
spaceman wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:38 pm Logic never crashes on me. Ableton hasn't crashed on my since version 10, and even before that crashes were very rare. Studio One has crached once. I think it was the FLStudio VST crashing it, which it does in all DAWs for me in MacOS.
Logic in general pretty stable vs other DAW's you use?
For me it has always been, yes. Previously on Intel Macs, now on M1.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

wuworld wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:52 pm I'm trying to figure that out now between Studio One vs Cubase 12. From anyone who uses both, which out the two are more stable?
Well, S1 "seems" more stable, but in the long run Cubase has fewer bugs.
Let's talk about Windows, because Cubase runs great on M1 Mac.
I updated to the latest nVidia driver and installed gaming driver instead of the studio version. I thought Cubase CPU would be like a carnival! But to my surprise it is more stable now!
I have tested Korg OPsix on Cubase. It didn't crash it. It did crashed S1 however.

So, overall, I choose Live and Cubase to be my go to DAWs in Windows and Logic/Live on Mac.

I will keep S1 however, as I like to work with it more than Cubase. Hopefully, Presonus will fix all bugs and gain my trust in the near future.

wuworld wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:52 pm I'm trying to figure that out now between Studio One vs Cubase 12. From anyone who uses both, which out the two are more stable?
Definitely Cubase. For me, it isn't even close.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

I think you could flip a coin between the two to find out the answer to that question. I own Cubase Pro 12 and S1 Pro 4 and of the two S1 is more stable on my machine. I do not currently have Cubase installed, and maybe the latest update is more stable, but it often use to seize at start-up and needed killing in the task manager. When you restarted it would boot with a "disable preferences" dialogue box, so I guess it was VST related. On the whole, weighing up pros and cons, I prefer S1.

It's very likely that these crashes are mostly caused by plugins, as many have said. It just makes me wonder why more DAWs don't sandbox plugins like Reaper or Bitwig do. Tbh, it would also really help troubleshoot plugins, because you'd immediately see which plugins are causing the problem.

Edit: I forgot that Studio One tells you which plugin it crashed with when you restart it. My bad.
Last edited by BKSchatzki on Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

When a plugin has caused Studio One to crash, it alerts you to which one it was at next start, and gives you a few startup options.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”