Pigments UI is very slow

Official support for: arturia.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have Issues with the UI of Pigments beeing very slow. This means that it takes 1 to 4 seconds if I twist a knob until the change takes effect. Sometimes it freezes for even longer.
This happens in reaper as well as when launching pigments in standalone in windows.
I have found two dependecies:
1. If you play something on the midi keyboard while changing something in the ui the UI will lag. If you don't play any notes the knobs work smoothly. This is acceptable to work around.
2. If you klick on the bar on top of the envelopes or the lfos (in order to assign them to anything) the UI gets really slow (like I said 1 to 4 seconds delay and sometimes longer). This makes working with pigments really painful. This seems to be even havier when using the sampler engine.
Once you close the assignment tab it gets a bit better and the UI reacts way faster again.

Sounds like your computer hardware is what's lagging. Pigments runs fine on my machine(s) either standalone or any of the DAWS - response time with a MIDI controller (like the premapped keylab MK II) is literally indistinguishable from any analog hardware synth

Arturia needs to tell people that, if they don't have a gaming rig, put Pigments out of their mind. I can run any plugin in without freezing except Pigments.
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

Boy Wonder wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:19 am Arturia needs to tell people that, if they don't have a gaming rig, put Pigments out of their mind. I can run any plugin in without freezing except Pigments.
Do you have some preset examples, please where Pigments starts to crackle or stutter when you start to play?
I always wanted to try it out but haven´t had the chance yet.
Thanks!

Being that I'm familiar with Pigments, when I went for pads, I normally put my polyphony down to four with my Presonus buffer at 1024. There is no crackle or stutter. Pigments just freezes out of the blue. I have to ctrl-alt-del to Task Manager and restart Cubase 12 again.

My laptop is a Ryzen 5/Win 11/16gb/500gb SSD, and it's optimised up the yin-yang. I turn off the internet when I fire up Cubase and use LatencyMon every so often just to make sure.

Boy Wonder wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:32 am Being that I'm familiar with Pigments, when I went for pads, I normally put my polyphony down to four with my Presonus buffer at 1024. There is no crackle or stutter. Pigments just freezes out of the blue. I have to ctrl-alt-del to Task Manager and restart Cubase 12 again.

My laptop is a Ryzen 5/Win 11/16gb/500gb SSD, and it's optimised up the yin-yang. I turn off the internet when I fire up Cubase and use LatencyMon every so often just to make sure.
Nice specs setup. Cubase is the worst DAW for proper multi-threading use. I highly recommend you to try Pigments with Reaper or Bitwig. You will see a huge performance boost.

I went through the tutorials in the Help section and several of the sections mention options for saving CPU. Maybe go through and check them out. Unison voices was a big one I remember. And of course polyphony. It mentioned turning off unused effects, etc.

On my M2 MacBook Air, I don't turn anything down and use a 128 buffer and it works perfectly. I can't love a CPU and more than the M1/M2s.

Try scaling the Pigments UI to 50%. Also helps if you switch to the preset browsing tab. The trouble IMO is caused by a high refresh rate for all that eye candy animation.

There should be an option to lower the UI refresh rate. Great synth though!

Not very helpful of me but try reinstalling it maybe ?

Update: I used Pigments 4 for nearly an hour and laid down several tracks with it. It never froze. CPU usage is still high but at least I can finally use the plugin without having to ctrl-alt-del Cubase.

Boy Wonder wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:58 am Update: I used Pigments 4 for nearly an hour and laid down several tracks with it. It never froze. CPU usage is still high but at least I can finally use the plugin without having to ctrl-alt-del Cubase.
I can confirm: on my second studio setup with an old intel mac, updated pigments 4 really works better than previous one, no freezes or spikes. :tu:
I'll do more tests over the weekend :D
call me hand

Once I asked support about this they answered me this is known issue.
This is terrible when I use external monitor with laptop.
When I use laptop's monitor its fine.
Its better with pigments 4 but not enough..

Return to “Arturia”