HOWTO macOS notarization (plugins, app, pkg installers)

DSP, Plug-in and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
quikquak
KVRian
844 posts since 6 Aug, 2005 from England

Post Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:24 am

Whitebox 'packages' 1.2.10 doesn't seem to work properly in Ventura - the Presentation panel doesn't show for me at all!
Luckily for me I didn't need to edit it this time. But watch out, if you use packages!

discoDSP
KVRAF
Topic Starter
5714 posts since 18 Jul, 2002

Post Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:15 pm

Thanks for the heads up. Considering how fast the industry is adopting Apple Silicon and latest macOS updates I'd hold Ventura until 2024 :)
Synthesizers • Samplers • Effects • Soundware
https://www.discodsp.com/

quikquak
KVRian

Post Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:47 am

It appears that version 12.11 fixes the Presentation panel problem.
https://github.com/packagesdev/packages ... t-91923575
Direct from dev site:-
http://s.sudre.free.fr/files/Packages_1211_dev.dmg

Markus Krause
KVRAF
1562 posts since 2 Jul, 2018

Post Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:55 am

quikquak wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:00 am I've just upgraded to Ventura and you can only install Xcode 14 - which gives warnings about targeting earlier MacOS versions.
And someone has reported that forcing targeting on Xcode 14, to earlier OS produces errors for the latest OS.
So I can’t target to old MacOS at all, and I can’t install Xcode 13 on Ventura. DOH!

I guess I'm only targeting for the latest now.
I had the same issue with some MacOS version and XCode in the past. It was highly annoying. I did get around it with some tool that did fake the installer so that it thinks that an earlier MacOS version is running. I do not remember what the name of the tool was but the older XCode did run flawlessly on the new MacOS version.
Apple is just trying to force us developers to use the latest XCode with no technical reason at all. Sad fact is that this is a very sneaky way of introducing planned obsolescence, as the latest XCode versions mean that we devs need to drop support for older hardware/MacOS versions. And this means money for Apple, as they will sell more new devices to the customers as their current (not-so-really-old) Macs can not longer run the latest software
Tone2 Audiosoftware https://www.tone2.com

Markus Krause
KVRAF
1562 posts since 2 Jul, 2018

Post Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:05 am

Warning! Important info:

In September 2023 Apple will switch of notarisation with altool. Then notarytool must be used.

XCode version on the build machine:
- To be able to use notarytool you must use XCode 13 or higher.
- XCode 13 can not be installed on Catalina. XCode 13.2 is the last version that runs in BigSur.
- XCode 14 should be avoided, as you can not target your builds below MacOS 10.13.

MacOS version for the build machine:
- MacOS 13 (Venturta) should be avoided as you can not install XCode 13 there. It only allows XCode 14.
- MacOS 12 (Monterey) or MacOS 11 (Big Sur) should work.
- MacOS 10.15 (Catalina) can not run XCode 13.

I hope this helps to prevent you from running into serious trouble
Tone2 Audiosoftware https://www.tone2.com

quikquak
KVRian

Post Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:04 am

Thanks for the info Markus. I personally find Mac OS a pain, and because of cost and space I'm just going to stick with Apple's control freakery, and keep my single Mac dev machine up to date (like a good little dev that I am🙄😁). But I realise a lot of devs don't.

syntonica
KVRAF
1716 posts since 25 Sep, 2014 from Specific Northwest

Post Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:21 pm

I'm currently on a quest to rid myself of controlling IDEs. I'm about 95% done with Eclipse and I'm starting to look at dumping Xcode.

I installed the latest developer tools and have found several old SDKs lurking in /Library/Developer left over from previous versions of Xcode.

My thinking is to use a couple of different Developer folders, from say High Sierra to support 10.6 to 10.14 and then the latest, which goes back to 10.13. It will involve two compilations, of course, but the older-targeting one can just be distributed without getting a note from mommy first. ;)

I'm still learning make, but it appears to be more than adequate to handle compilation and packaging. I just need to work out how to handle the plists since there's too many settings and choices to remember without using Xcode.

As for dropping support for older versions, don't worry about it if adding new features. You may want to back-port bug fixes, however. There's plenty of Mac software out there that offers several older versions based on OS. They all essentially have the same features, however, just using updated APIs.

As a staunch Mac user who digs his heels in in regards to updating and Apple's new "features", I would be happy as a clam running 10.6 if it had a browser that could handle "modern" websites, and by modern, I mean over-engineered and wasteful. If I could turn Javascript off, I eould. If you can't do it in HTML5, you probably shouldn't be doing it at all... /rant off

Return to “DSP and Plug-in Development”