NUC for DAW

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
maanga
KVRist
Topic Starter
54 posts since 2 Jul, 2012 from Singapore

Post Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:44 pm

Hello,

Anybody have success with NUC mini PC for DAW?
Specs look good from Intel NUC.
Please share your experience and would you recommend it?

Best regards,
maanga

audiojunkie
KVRAF
3796 posts since 19 Apr, 2002 from Utah

Post Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:31 pm

I’ve run my DAW off of a NUC. It’s a nice little machine. Linux works great on it too. There are two things to be aware of, however: 1. Without proper cooling, they can overheat which reduces their lifespan. I bought a custom lid that adds an additional fan. I’ve been running mine without problems since 2017. The ones that I use at work don’t add an additional fan, and they die pretty quickly. 2. The number of USB ports is very limited. You will certainly need a USB hub. If that doesn’t bother you, then it isn’t a problem. Aside from those two things, it’s been a great little machine.

I hope this helps you with your choice. 🙂

Best!
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

BONES
GRRRRRRR!
14632 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:40 pm

I've looked into them but they are quite expensive for what you get. I decided a good laptop made a lot more sense.
NOVAkILL : Asus UX8402, Core i7, 16GB RAM, Win11, EVO 8 | Studio One | GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, bx_oberhausen, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Concept, Thorn, Spire, Odyssey, Proclethya, SEM, VG Iron | Uno Pro.

maanga
KVRist
Topic Starter
54 posts since 2 Jul, 2012 from Singapore

Post Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:42 am

Thank you very much both of you.
I will go with a notebook instead.
Regards.
maanga

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”