Anyone successfully running ableton in a VM

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Economist2947
KVRer
Topic Starter
12 posts since 30 Oct, 2022

Post Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:43 am

If so what's your setup? Are you using external gear? I'm asking because the convenience of crating snapshots in VMs and having basically an easily clonable environment that carries over without hassle to anywhere is quite nice

whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth
31818 posts since 4 Sep, 2001 from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Post Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:36 am

I find the performance hit on non-realtime software to be annoying enough, no way I'd run audio software in one.
"You're becoming old, and that makes you bitter and angry.... Happens to people who lack empathy and good principles.
Good guys (like I very obviously am) learn how to deal with that properly, without taking it out on others"

Economist2947
KVRer
Topic Starter
12 posts since 30 Oct, 2022

Post Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:11 am

Of course nothing that is super time critical like a DJing software. But for production, of course depending on your input method, its not too bad actually. Forget about real time jamming though, that's just weird. But yeah, I agree theres room for improvement

audiojunkie
KVRAF
3796 posts since 19 Apr, 2002 from Utah

Post Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:51 pm

To have your best experience with a VM and low latency, you’ll want to use a type 1 hyperviser over a type 2. In other words, instead of using the easy to use Virtualbox, use an Intel vPro Platform (or compatible)/ KVM / QEMU / LibVirt / Virt-manager /virt-viewer as your emulation stack. This will greatly improve performance. In addition to that, you are going to want to use “Passthrough” for your PCIe/USB audio card. If you do these things, you should be able to successfully run Ableton in a VM at low latencies. :)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”