The linux DAW thread

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MusE Rosegarden Waveform Pro

dan_flash wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:11 am I use Mint, it's a breeze. If you're new to the game, my advice would be;

Install Mint -> get Ubuntu Studio Installer -> use that to add important packages and do the config.

I don't use / need JACK or Pipewire and would recommend not using them in the beginning at least. Just load up Ardour or Renoise or Reaper or BitWig or whatever using ALSA as default, then use LV2 and VST for plugs.

From there, there is tonnes of cool Linux software for writing and producing music,, the sky's the limit.
Hi Dan, sorry I am very thankfull for your reply however where do I get Ubuntu Studio and do you think that Linux will run my Terratec Phase 88 interface?

audiojunkie wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:25 pm You would probably be fine with either of those distros. Those distros are Debian/Ubuntu based. You'd have access to the KXStudios repository. However, I don't think Zorin uses pipewire yet, so you may want to use Mint if you don't want to set up Pipewire manually (I'm pretty sure Zorin will get it eventually). Mint should work fine. Mint version 22.10 was just released a couple of weeks ago. :)

You'll simply need to install Mint, install your native linux DAW, Install native Linux plugins, and do a tiny bit of configuring to tune for latency. When you are ready for the latency tuning part, we can help you with that too. :)
Hi AudioJunkie, thank you for your insightful reply and your kind offering of help when I am all done and installed.
Much appreciated!

surreal wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:34 am
dan_flash wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:11 am I use Mint, it's a breeze. If you're new to the game, my advice would be;

Install Mint -> get Ubuntu Studio Installer -> use that to add important packages and do the config.

I don't use / need JACK or Pipewire and would recommend not using them in the beginning at least. Just load up Ardour or Renoise or Reaper or BitWig or whatever using ALSA as default, then use LV2 and VST for plugs.

From there, there is tonnes of cool Linux software for writing and producing music,, the sky's the limit.
Hi Dan, sorry I am very thankfull for your reply however where do I get Ubuntu Studio and do you think that Linux will run my Terratec Phase 88 interface?
Good morning! Aye a quick google suggests your Terratec Phase 88 should work under Linux. I've never used that myself though
so can't say 100% either way.

Generally, as a main point, if an interface is class compliant then it will run in Linux.

Ubuntu Studio Installer can be found on the Ubuntu Studio website :) https://ubuntustudio.org/ubuntu-studio-installer/...

Best thing to do - just try copy / pasting the following into the terminal after installing Linux Mint and starting up;

sudo apt install ubuntustudio-installer
www.cel10.com

There are better signatures out there.

I have to say that, as bad as audio on Linux used to be, that hardware support has come a long way. I now find that, in some cases, it's even less hassle than windows. Trying to get my Audio Kontrol 1 to work on Win 10/11 was an exercise in annoyance, just works on Linux, that's where it sits today.

ghettosynth wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:27 am I have to say that, as bad as audio on Linux used to be, that hardware support has come a long way. I now find that, in some cases, it's even less hassle than windows. Trying to get my Audio Kontrol 1 to work on Win 10/11 was an exercise in annoyance, just works on Linux, that's where it sits today.
That is great to hear!

dan_flash wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:23 am
surreal wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:34 am

Good morning! Aye a quick google suggests your Terratec Phase 88 should work under Linux. I've never used that myself though
so can't say 100% either way.

Generally, as a main point, if an interface is class compliant then it will run in Linux.

Ubuntu Studio Installer can be found on the Ubuntu Studio website :) https://ubuntustudio.org/ubuntu-studio-installer/...

Best thing to do - just try copy / pasting the following into the terminal after installing Linux Mint and starting up;

sudo apt install ubuntustudio-installer
Good Morning Dan, Thank you for all the advice and pointers.

Hi Surreal Thee bee jammin? Hope so...

As an early, or first linux experience, the simplicity of a turnkey system can make a big difference. AVLinux is such a system, and comes with wine-staging, yabridge plugin wrapper (with custom gui!) a Reaper demo, and lot's of useful audio tools in a pre-configured system.

It also has some tools locked to the default version, if known to sometimes cause trouble when updated. Wine-staging being a prime example. (it's a well-placed mouseclick to unlock things later when familiarity has been gained.)

With the default config, starting qjackctl sets up pulseaudio and alsa as jackd team-mates, so audio will work concurrently with daw, browser, media players, and standalone jackd softwares. For example, I will load a wav into Audacity, play it at a custom speed, route it in qjackctl to Reaper for effects, and route both Reaper and Audacity outputs to a standalone recorder, like Timemachine. Might fire up and record drum-machine beats if desired. Some will prefer just working in a daw, as expertise allows.

about 'sudo apt install ubuntustudio-installer'

In linux, there can be a multi-user system, with separate passwords for the administrator, (the root account) and the normal user, who by default, lacks priviledges for access to system critical items. Many linux setups now use
'sudo' which uses a single password for both users, which the unpriviledged user invokes
or is prompted for, as sytem access dictates. In a dual user system, the above command
would happen without sudo, by first typing su in a terminal (su = super-user). You'd then get a password prompt, and when supplied, a terminal prompt with # instead of a $

The command as root user would be a wii bit shorter,

apt install ubuntustudio-installer

Mint, Ubuntu, and many others use sudo as default. On some systems, like AVLinux, choosing a separate root account is an installation routine option. Sudo can also be enabled in multi-user systems after the initial setup, should it be desired.

AVLinux is a debian system, a 're-spin' variant of MX Linux, latest version uses the Enlightenment system gui, pretty, easy to use, and fast. I've used it for a few years now, along with pclinuxos, bodhi (ubuntu variant) and various Puppy linux for certain old softwares that are better at crucial tasks, than newer versions.

Mint is designed to cover all the soho bases, and does well. I had a Mint drive that died,
and AVLinux was the preferred replacement at the time. To the extent that "time is money", my money is on AVLinux, the easiest system to provide a record button out-of-the-box:

http://www.bandshed.net/mxde-efl-build/

The dev is here: https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=69823

glokraw wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:14 am Hi Surreal Thee bee jammin? Hope so...

As an early, or first linux experience, the simplicity of a turnkey system can make a big difference. AVLinux is such a system, and comes with wine-staging, yabridge plugin wrapper (with custom gui!) a Reaper demo, and lot's of useful audio tools in a pre-configured system.

It also has some tools locked to the default version, if known to sometimes cause trouble when updated. Wine-staging being a prime example. (it's a well-placed mouseclick to unlock things later when familiarity has been gained.)

With the default config, starting qjackctl sets up pulseaudio and alsa as jackd team-mates, so audio will work concurrently with daw, browser, media players, and standalone jackd softwares. For example, I will load a wav into Audacity, play it at a custom speed, route it in qjackctl to Reaper for effects, and route both Reaper and Audacity outputs to a standalone recorder, like Timemachine. Might fire up and record drum-machine beats if desired. Some will prefer just working in a daw, as expertise allows.

In linux, there can be a multi-user system, with separate passwords for the administrator, (the root account) and the normal user, who by default, lacks priviledges for access to system critical items. Many linux setups now use
'sudo' which uses a single password for both users, which the unpriviledged user invokes
or is prompted for, as sytem access dictates. In a dual user system, the above command
would happen without sudo, by first typing su in a terminal (su = super-user). You'd then get a password prompt, and when supplied, a terminal prompt with # instead of a $

Mint, Ubuntu, and many others use sudo as default. On some systems, like AVLinux, choosing a separate root account is an installation routine option. Sudo can also be enabled in multi-user systems after the initial setup, should it be desired.

AVLinux is a debian system, a 're-spin' variant of MX Linux, latest version uses the Enlightenment system gui, pretty, easy to use, and fast. I've used it for a few years now, along with pclinuxos, bodhi (ubuntu variant) and various Puppy linux for certain old softwares that are better at crucial tasks, than newer versions.

Mint is designed to cover all the soho bases, and does well. I had a Mint drive that died,
and AVLinux was the preferred replacement at the time. To the extent that "time is money", my money is on AVLinux, the easiest system to provide a record button out-of-the-box:

Hi Brother!

No unfortunately I am not yet jamming musically but I am banging some of my old scrap computer parts together hoping that it would make a decent alternative cpu studio with linux than the " ever power hungry greedy memory and cpu chomping win 10" However, the two sytems I am putting together are not the greatest. I am putting together a dual core intel 3ghz 8 gb ram and a dual core amd 2 ghz 4gb which both will never run efficient on a windows 10 system.

glokraw wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:14 am Hi Surreal Thee bee jammin? Hope so...

My Brother
Thank you also for your great wisdom here and insight as well as your help and encouragement both here and offsite, it is greatly Appreciated! !!

Thanks for the kind words, and your shared encouragements! About AVLinux, In the preferences menu item, 'MX Tools' opens an easy-access panel that includes many custom config tools

MX-Tools.png

I haven't needed it often, but I'm sure power users are able to maximize performance, without the huge learning curve many associate with linux. Each item on the panel opens a gui from which to discover and make choices, or perform handy tasks like making a system snapshot, and bootable usb versions. Many etc :hyper:

For audio setup, the qjackctl gui offers both 'graphs' and connections gui panels. (I use the connections view, Right-click the graphs button, to see the connections option) make choosing devices and settings pretty easy, with some youtube walk-thru's as desired. There is a three-tabbed panel for the alsa-midi, jackd-midi, and audio connections (see screenshots) When linux audio tools are launched, the appropriate options will appear in those three areas. Highlight an item on the left half, and the desired destination on the right half, and press 'connect'. A simple virtual patchbay!

qjackctl-gui.png
alsa-midi.png
jackd-midi.png

The Reaper demo is handy for seeing how daw connections are set up in linux. What I do for new Reaper versions, is create a folder named by version number, that will be near the top
of linux filemanager gui's (pcmanfm, and thunar are the managers I use, view 'hidden files' enabled))

mkdir /home/me/.669

I then unpack the archive in that folder, and move the contents of the REAPER folder into the
.669 folder. I can then launch reaper in a terminal with

.669/reaper

AVLinux can be tested from a dvd burned off it'd iso, 'demo' is the password if prompted.
download link here:

http://www.bandshed.net/avlinux/

Ardour daw and it's commercial version, Harrison Mixbus (demo) is installed. Mixbus is almost always on sale, standard version usually under $50, max version under $150, sales often add bundled mastering plugins etc, linux forum is here:

https://forum.harrisonconsoles.com/

Reaper linux forum is excellent and friendly:

https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

When mud-wrestling with win 10, :scared: this long-running website has helped a lot of people safely turn off cpu munching services, making the whole experience at little more bearable:

https://www.blackviper.com/service-conf ... gurations/

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AudioThing Things Bubbles is pretty nifty, and AudioThing said they will eventually port all their plugins to Linux. Yay!

Also, a while ago Applied Computer Music Technologies (i.e. OverTone/Linuxdsp) released a freebie Pultec-style filter.

They said installing the Virus Motorola emu was easy, and it is! The .deb files install the synth as in the pic, below, at /usr/local/lib, so I copied them to /home/me/.vst/motorola and /home/me/.vst3/motorola, then extracted the rom file to those locations.

Get the synth .deb at https://dsp56300.wordpress.com/downloads/

Link to ROM files is at the page below, go to that page's provided link and scroll down to the red filenames, I used the Access Music GmbH-access_virus_c_6v6.zip

https://www.dogsonacid.com/threads/who- ... 354/page-2

(There are also links to preset collections in the topic there, the synth itself comes with banks A - H, hundreds of Virus sounds! In the gui, click the first preset slot and the banks list opens, click a bank then pick a sound. and hope you get lucky on your first, second, and third choices! :wink:

deb-installs-here.png
Motorola-dsp-synth-Access-Virus.png

I used the recent AVLinux with Enlightenment desktop, and linux Reaper V 6.69

The provided "Osirus" gui is scaleable in 25% increments, from 50% to 300%, the screenshot is default 100% on a 1900x1080 monitor!
{Sorry, boss, gotta take some time off, I got a Virus :hihi: )
:party: Play some music!!! :party:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Been enjoying simple guitar playing lately, and remembered that a little gui utility called jalv.select
lets you browse and display your various lv2 plugins, so it's easy to make an onscreen pedalboard
if so inclined. In the pic, I've used four of the Guitarix plugins to replicate Amplitubes nice
'Fulltone Collection', which they do quite well. The pic shows the connections. In the bottom left of the gui, you pick your system's gtk version, then pick your plugins, then pick your guitar.

Jalv.select has not been updated since 2019, but the newest .deb I could find still installed fine in AVLinux using

sudo dpkg -i name-of.deb

Maybe pester your repo maintainers to get this jewel back on the main ring :wink:

jalv.select-FullTone.png

The newest AVLinux debian/MX Linux based audio-centric turn-key .iso files are ready for
download and exploitation! GMaq's announcement page is just a click away...

http://www.bandshed.net/2022/12/15/avl- ... -released/

:hyper: :tu: :party: :hyper:

This is a great way to explore a modern linux system burned on a live-dvd or installed to
a usb device, noting your system's early-boot-menu, or boot order found in the bios, as needed.

Very cool! 😎👍🏼
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”