Camelphat - No GUI in Ableton 11 Ventura

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys...

This might be old news, but i just updated to Ventura and my main issue is that Camelphat has no GUI (still processes audio, tho) in Ableton 11. before i updated to Ventura it was ok...

Are there any known fixes to this? i found the folder containing all the gui stuff... maybe something can be done with that?

Anyways, a solution would be a life saver, i still love camelphat so much

thanks!

The short answer is that it's time to choose an alternative plugin:
viewtopic.php?t=579087
and
viewtopic.php?t=527382
BTW, the 64-bit Intel version of Reaper is still compatible with that plugin and macos 12 (not sure about Ventura), and of course its in Logic.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

If you're running very old and unsupported software and want to keep it running, then really you shouldn't be upgrading to every latest OS on the Mac platform, because you generally can't have your old plugins and eat all the new shiny Mac things too.

If it's a forced upgrade (eg, you've bought a new machine with Ventura already installed), then it's either time to find and alternative replacement plugin, or move to Logic ;)

Try running it through jbridge, or another hosting plug like the one from blue cat.

Alchemy does the same for me - but works fine in live 10. Something different about live 11 - even running in Rosetta mode, still no gui.

Tried all manner of hosting plugins to no avail. If anyone finds a solution let us know!

Michael L wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:38 am The short answer is that it's time to choose an alternative plugin:
viewtopic.php?t=579087
and
viewtopic.php?t=527382
BTW, the 64-bit Intel version of Reaper is still compatible with that plugin and macos 12 (not sure about Ventura), and of course its in Logic.
yeah that was gonna be my next question... but damn i love camelphat haha. off the top of your head, whats the leading replacement? i mainly just use the BP filter, mm filter, and the 4 distortion knobs

yeah, thats nice... though im a loyal ableton user and just paid for 11, haha.
beely wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:21 pm If you're running very old and unsupported software and want to keep it running, then really you shouldn't be upgrading to every latest OS on the Mac platform, because you generally can't have your old plugins and eat all the new shiny Mac things too.

If it's a forced upgrade (eg, you've bought a new machine with Ventura already installed), then it's either time to find and alternative replacement plugin, or move to Logic ;)
yeah i know, i just upgraded from high sierra... but other programs i needed werent being updated anymore... so im kinda forced to update and i wasnt able to get something in between. but hey pretty much all other plugins work just fine so thats nice.

and lol yeah, too accustomed to ableton to move to logic though. what are the major benefits to logic though?
zeep wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:14 pm Try running it through jbridge, or another hosting plug like the one from blue cat.
ah yeah ive heard of jbridge... hopefully that works!
chroma wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:35 pm Alchemy does the same for me - but works fine in live 10. Something different about live 11 - even running in Rosetta mode, still no gui.
actually, it worked fine in 11 when i was still on high sierra, but when i updated to ventura i lost access. what's rosetta mode? didn't know about that haha.

JentleBro wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:59 pm and lol yeah, too accustomed to ableton to move to logic though. what are the major benefits to logic though?
I meant that Logic contains newer versions of all the Camel software - CamelPhat, CamelSpace, and Alchemy, so if you really wanted to keep using those tools in a DAW on macOS's the old plugins no longer work on, Logic is basically the only way to do it.

To be honest, I'm sure you could find appropriate tools to replace what you do with CamelPhat, we have a lot more saturation and filter tools these days...

Interestingly, there seems to be a production duo named "CamelPhat". I guess naming yourselves after plugins is the new naming yourselves after music tech hardware/synths/drum machines (Prodigy, LFO, 808 State, Bentley Rhythm Ace, DMX, Aphex Twin, Apollo 440 etc etc)...

I think the problem is related to Ableton Live builds. Newer versions of Live use more current graphics libraries to build their executable. Plugins need to be compiled with these same libraries to be able to render on the screen. Older versions of Live and Camel Audio still work. I'm on Big Sur and Live 10.1.30 still renders the Alchemy correctly. Live 11 stopped rendering it correctly not long after it was released. I keep Live at 10.1.30 and won't update that further. I primarily use Live 11 and just have to live without out it. I've tried a lot of bridge solutions but never got anything to work.
One thing I did out of desperation was to create a bunch of Live clips of my favorite Alchemy presets in version 10, then opened them in version 11. The GUI is blank, but it still sounds correct, and mapped parameters are still controllable. You just can't see anything. Practicing for when I go blind, but it was a pain in the ass amount of work.
2020 iMac 27" 10 Core, OS 12.6.6, iConnectAudio2+, iConnectMidi4+, Novation SL MKIII, Push 2, Ableton Live, VCV Rack Pro 2, Bitwig Studio

Long answer: as usual, Apple broke compatibility with an 'updated' version of Xcode, so builds suddenly showed the same gui errors.
BWndwOsx[141] UTID mismatch
followed by
BWndwOsx[141] SUTC time-out
I find the same problem with most DAWs, but likely too niche to be fixed. I am not a developer, just sharing what I see in error logs.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

beely wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:55 pm
JentleBro wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:59 pm and lol yeah, too accustomed to ableton to move to logic though. what are the major benefits to logic though?
I meant that Logic contains newer versions of all the Camel software - CamelPhat, CamelSpace, and Alchemy, so if you really wanted to keep using those tools in a DAW on macOS's the old plugins no longer work on, Logic is basically the only way to do it.

To be honest, I'm sure you could find appropriate tools to replace what you do with CamelPhat, we have a lot more saturation and filter tools these days...

Interestingly, there seems to be a production duo named "CamelPhat". I guess naming yourselves after plugins is the new naming yourselves after music tech hardware/synths/drum machines (Prodigy, LFO, 808 State, Bentley Rhythm Ace, DMX, Aphex Twin, Apollo 440 etc etc)...
ohh i didn't know that actually. yeah, not im jealous lol. but yeah, probably not going to make that change...

yeah, i think so. definitely looking into that now. there was just something about the BP filter (the one on the left) that i just loved, could really get some nice sounds by using it right.

yeah that's most of what showed up as i googled solutions for this... doubt i'll ever listen to them because of this though haha... but yeah i get that, how times change... lol
krankyone wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:01 pm I think the problem is related to Ableton Live builds. Newer versions of Live use more current graphics libraries to build their executable. Plugins need to be compiled with these same libraries to be able to render on the screen. Older versions of Live and Camel Audio still work. I'm on Big Sur and Live 10.1.30 still renders the Alchemy correctly. Live 11 stopped rendering it correctly not long after it was released. I keep Live at 10.1.30 and won't update that further. I primarily use Live 11 and just have to live without out it. I've tried a lot of bridge solutions but never got anything to work.
One thing I did out of desperation was to create a bunch of Live clips of my favorite Alchemy presets in version 10, then opened them in version 11. The GUI is blank, but it still sounds correct, and mapped parameters are still controllable. You just can't see anything. Practicing for when I go blind, but it was a pain in the ass amount of work.
makes sense! yeah actually i have live 9 also on this computer, surprisingly enough it still runs and can run camelphat... that may have to be my solution if i want the gui...but yeah i did notice that i could still alter the parameters in that expanded view which is much better than it not working at all. but yeah lol sounds very much like a pain in the ass.
Michael L wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:40 pm Long answer: as usual, Apple broke compatibility with an 'updated' version of Xcode, so builds suddenly showed the same gui errors.
BWndwOsx[141] UTID mismatch
followed by
BWndwOsx[141] SUTC time-out
I find the same problem with most DAWs, but likely too niche to be fixed. I am not a developer, just sharing what I see in error logs.
nice, thanks for showing that. maybe some dev could jump in and rescue everyone with a workaraound...

JentleBro wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:18 ammaybe some dev could jump in and rescue everyone
Help Ableton, Help.png
:help:
Ableton to the rescue!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Return to “Effects”