Acoustic treatment

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am taking information to acoustically isolate my home studio room.

I have a room of 20 M2.

The marigold, a window and two doors.

Do you have any idea how I should do to insulate my room?

Like a room with a lot of openings, I suspect it won't be easy.

It would most certainly need absorbent panels and basstraps.

What bothers me the panels are made with rock wool very often and not really top health point of view.

Do you have an idea of ​​the suggestions to help me achieve an acoustic of my room?

I thank you in advance.
Last edited by Trancer on Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

isolation is pretty difficult.
are you talking to reduce reflections rather than to soundproof/reduction?

Thank you for your answer.

I would like to have a sound that is as realistic as the sound coming out of the speakers.

Without the disturbances, losses and acoustic nuisances of the room.

So that during production and mixing, the sound and rendering is the most faithful
possible to reality.

I was thinking of putting on absorbent panels and basstraps.

What bothers me the panels are made from rock wool and not great for the health of this kind of material.

ah, yeah so room treatment :)
isolation involves building a floating room inside the current room, best designed from ground up...

anyway, treatment is as you say rockwool panels, but they are usually also covered, and they use them in studios. can't see them using something that would for example cause respiratory issues, wouldn't be great for singers.
also, here we have safety rules and if they weren't they would come with more warning stickers than you can imagine :hihi:

as long as they are not going to be battered and damaged, they should be more than fine :)

cheaper options might be as simple as heavy curtains.

look up diy room treatment on the cheap.

Thank you for your answers and opinions.

Yes indeed what is called the inbox.

That, however, is impossible.

The why I had written a result at best 😊

I doubt myself, but given what we know has already happened, an example with asbestos, always a doubt about what we can read from manufacturers.

Indeed, it is the dust and the volatility of the fibers that are the risk.

I suspect.

The cheapest solution, make your panels yourself.

Lots of tutorials on the internet.

On the other hand, the result is identical to the panels purchased commercially.

By respecting the assembly safety instructions, the realization by oneself should not pose a problem.

On the other hand, I wonder which coating I should use to have a good result of absorption and protection against the possibility of evacuation of the fibers of the panels.
Last edited by Trancer on Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

20 m2 is decent size. What is a marigold in this context?

Like vurt said, acoustic treatment can be simple and cheap. Curtains at the window, possibly at doors as well. Carpet on the floor, book cases full of random stuff. This breaks the reflections and thus avoids resonances, but does not break your bank account.

Take such easy steps first before investing in bass traps or special panels. And know what exactly the problem is you're addressing. Can you hear issues, or is this something you only read about? Do you record vocals or acoustic instruments?

Room treatment is overrated if you ask me. We all use nearfield monitors, for a reason. These are relatively close to your ears, much louder than the reflections.

And please edit the title. You want acoustic treatment. Insulation is about avoiding outside sound getting in your studio, and studio noises bleeding out. That's not your goal, right?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Thank you for your answers.

I have Focal Alpha 65s and Adam A77Xs.

I have a muffled and undefined sound.

As well as reverb, most certainly related to the fact that nothing in the room.

I don't have the full sound spectrum.

My home studio is arranged in a U, I am 40 cm from the wall and my speakers are positioned at the height of my ears.

Given the layout of my equipment in my room, I will not be able to add a library, for example, not enough space.

Regarding the curtains, in what material?

Should they be thick?

I do not record vocals or acoustic instruments.

Sounds like a good sized room. Have you tried moving your speakers around? This will be the single biggest factor I'd say

Is your front to back along the longest dimension?

Also how loud do you monitor? Louder is more prone to peaks and troughs.

Any isolation under your speakers. The large foam blocks, with heavy metal tops and then a thin neoprene are pretty good for that and tighten up the sound.

Can you fit a soft sofa or bed in?

If after all of that it's still not right then some bass pads and other panels can help, but they also can deaden a room.

Good luck.

Trancer wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:04 pm I have a muffled and undefined sound.
[...]
I don't have the full sound spectrum.
And does that get better when you put your ears right next to a monitor?
Trancer wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:04 pm As well as reverb, most certainly related to the fact that nothing in the room.
Have you ever moved house or helped someone move house? Did you notice the typical reverb of a completely empty room? And your studio sounds like that?
The fix is simple: put something on the window, something on the floor, something on the wall. Carpet, shelves, whatever breaks direct sound paths & reflections. Bed or sofa indeed...
Trancer wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:04 pm Regarding the curtains, in what material? Should they be thick?
Well, something is already way better than nothing. Even these thin see-through curtains do help. Doesn't need to be curtains, I've had luxaflex and roller blinds, both way better than nothing at all.

Trancer wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:04 pm My home studio is arranged in a U, I am 40 cm from the wall and my speakers are positioned at the height of my ears.

Given the layout of my equipment in my room, I will not be able to add a library, for example, not enough space.
That 40cm, is that from your head to a wall? A wall directly behind you then?

Now I'm getting curious what the layout of that room is like. 20m² is 4x5 meters or about 6x3 meters. But in a U-shape...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Trancer wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:04 pm Thank you for your answers.

I have Focal Alpha 65s and Adam A77Xs.

I have a muffled and undefined sound.
I would look at settings on monitors to adjust to room in the first place.
Near field monitors and muffled sound is hardly to do with room so much.

Unwanted reflections and reverb in an empty room is a problem, but undefined and muffled sound would not be the room itself.

Unfortunate placing of one monitor to a wall could raise bass a bit, and there are usually settings on monitors for that to cut lows a bit and so forth.

Thank you for your answers.

I moved, changed the frequencies of my speakers, put curtains and I put a door more adapted than the original one and not really improvement.

The U configuration is that I have a central cabinet and two cabinets (left / right) where my equipment and my screens are and I am in the middle.

I am 40 cm from the wall (furniture) and my speakers too.

I looked for cotton wool, less toxic than rock wool.

I talk about that, because not really the place for anything else.

I have very little space left between the walls and my furniture.

So, impossible to add furniture (library or others).

Trancer wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:04 pm I moved, changed the frequencies of my speakers, put curtains and I put a door more adapted than the original one and not really improvement.
You have to lower 250 Hz and down if it sounds muffled. Sound is straight from speakers to your ears pretty much.

If you are doing EDM you might be reluctant to reduce bass to balance frequency response.

The important part is that music translate well to many listening devices, not that it sounds the best. Legendary monitors like Yamaha NS10 was typical example of this, very poor bass in comparison to hifi speakers.

I really believe your solution is to experiment and even if it hurts lower bass response. Muffled start from 250 Hz and down.

If speakers placed on a wooden desk that emphasize bass too. I have speakers like that and put this kind of acoustic foam with spikes, like for dead rooms, on desk that I in turn placed speakers on.

Then your room might need attention too, just that your description tells that it is not your major problem.

Thanks for your feedback.

I did different tests, an improvement, but not yet satisfactory.

Indeed, I compose Techno Melodic and Trance Uplifting.

Very important bass, but if listening, the rendering is less important not at all a concern.

I am one meter from my speakers.

My speakers are placed on Zaor stands.

So, it seems that a treatment of my piece must be done despite everything.

Trancer wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:04 pm Thank you for your answers.

I am 40 cm from the wall (furniture) and my speakers too.
Have you tried right against the wall? This can be better for some front ported speakers.

If it still doesn't work... Maybe some good headphones...

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”