Minimalist high quality mix & master plugin chains you'd recommend?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Or, better yet, that you actually use?

On the heels of picking up SlickEQ M, which is very nice indeed, it occurs to me I should set up once and for all a simple, effective chain of excellent plugins for mixing, and likewise for mastering.

Physical and digital instruments, sometimes vocals included, is what will be going into it all.

iZotope Ozone

For mastering I tend to just use one mastering compressor (tdr kotelnikov or similar) , an eq (usually proq3) and a limiter (usually pro L2). Most of my work I go back to the mix if it's not right at the mastering stage.

I'm self taught and still learning myself though so appreciate others with more experience may be able to give you better insights.

If you already have effects that you like to use, one option would be a plug-in chainer like StudioRack from Waves - https://www.waves.com/plugins/studiorac ... in-chainer

I have a template set up that uses various effects from iZotope, Waves, Fabfilter, Eventide, etc. It's a very useful way to use plug-ins when mixing. Another useful plug-in that comes to mind is PatchWork by Blue Cat Audio - https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/P ... PatchWork/

Daw Stock eq Reaeq or... free TDR Nova
Free TDR Kotelnikov Compressor
Free Loudmax Limiter

+1 Loudmax Limiter (even it needs bigger UI)
AudioThing|Cableguys|Image-Line|Klanghelm|Tokyo Dawn Records|Tritik|Valhalla DSP
Dmitry Sches|Surge Synth Team|u-he

EQ4 & Barricade,
could work fine.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Klanghelm SDRR
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

2gether Audio RICH, or
BX Masterdesk, or
United Mastermind

Difficult to recommend a mixing FX chain because it's so specific to instrument and genre. But for mastering I quite like some subtle tape emulation and/or saturation with Reelbus 3 or 4 and HG-2, SlickEQ M, MagicDeathEye on compression duties, maybe some Newfangled Saturate for clipping/loudness, and a final limiter, usually Barricade 4.

Harrison Mixbus daw, load a .wav and tweak the famed console producer's defaults.
Wait for a sale, they happen quite often, with nice future discounts for licensed customers

www.harrisonconsoles.com

Not looking for a new DAW, but otherwise not the worst idea.

And thanks y’all. Great suggestions all ‘round. I went ahead and bought SDRR for a start. That plugin looks to be da bomb, seriously. That and what I have already is almost enough, really.

TB EQ4 -> Reelbus 4 (glue setting / preset) -> Barricade 4 (soft clip, compression and limiting).

This is a great simple setup that yields quick results.

2 others I often throw in between there are Ozone’s Exciter and Imager.

You can't go wrong with the Toneboosters stuff, though I wouldn't call them minimalist. One of the best values in the industry imo.

Mature, State of the art, efficient, comprehensive, high quality and affordable. :tu:

Return to “Effects”