Ozone wrecks my daw workflow

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It might be my daw, I need to try reaper. When I have Ozone on the master track and the project is full of tracks and effects, things are not smooth. I'll get choppy sounds, delays, etc. Is Ozone generally just a "heavy" plugin, or is it only happening to me in mixcraft? My Cpu and system usage doesn't seem to go up much when using it, which is odd because the plugin creates havok when trying to work on larger projects. I bought 16gb extra ram because I thought I was running low but honestly see little difference being at 32gb, ryzen 7. I may have truly outgrown Mixcraft, the ceiling wasn't very high

Ozone is a mastering plug in, the master track always runs in real time for every DAW so it's the easiest way to have issues, to not be done writing a song and start sticking mastering (CPU heavy) plug ins on the master track. Doesn't have much to do with the DAW you're using, if the song is done, start rendering tracks to audio before using Ozone on the master track.

I mean the song is done 99% but there are a few tweaks. I like to hear it how it'll sound with ozone going while doing the final tweaks. It sometimes barely can even play the song back in my daw because of how much the plugin slows things down

It is actually (way) better with Reaper than with anything else I've tried but I'm rendering as I go now so my project is low on CPU when I finally start to master. I can actually use it at 64-bit buffer size w/ no hiccups now that I bounce my tracks. I've done this in Studio One as well and it works equally well.

As machinesworking mentions, Render your mix as a stereo file without Ozone on the master buss.
Then open it in Ozone and use it as it's meant to be used.

You might want to watch a few video walkthroughs to show the workflow.
Good luck, it's a game changer when used correctly.

Dirk Diggler wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:53 pm As machinesworking mentions, Render your mix as a stereo file without Ozone on the master buss.

Wait so you are meant to mixdown the project to a wav, add the wav to a new project, and then use Ozone on the master for that one wav audio track?

I've become a happy free-of-iZotope human recently.
Don't miss anything...

martinjuenke wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:12 pm I've become a happy free-of-iZotope human recently.
Don't miss anything...
I don't want to be married to it forever, but I'm entirely new to daw work and especially mixing/mastering, so it feels like a good starting point to get some cheats until I know wtf I'm doing

SomethingSomeone wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:14 pm
martinjuenke wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:12 pm I've become a happy free-of-iZotope human recently.
Don't miss anything...
I don't want to be married to it forever, but I'm entirely new to daw work and especially mixing/mastering, so it feels like a good starting point to get some cheats until I know wtf I'm doing
Look at Tokyo Dawn EQs and Compressor, perhaps accompanied with Gullfoss.
Especially the first ones are imo far better than this AI hyped iZo stuff (and far cheaper.)

You render as wave file, then open the Ozone native app, not the plugin in your DAW.
Ozone becomes the DAW, the assistant is amazing in what it can do.
You highlight 30 seconds of the loudest section in the song, let the assistant give suggestions.
Enjoy!

Dirk Diggler wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:26 pm You render as wave file, then open the Ozone native app, not the plugin in your DAW.
You highlight 30 seconds of the loudest section in the song, let the assistant give suggestions.
Enjoy!
Just curious, why is it more beneficial to mix down to a wav first before using Ozone?

What i've been doing is the "30 second loud section" recommendation thing, but I do it while the full project is open and Ozone is on the master track. Then after it does it's thing, I mix down to wav.

I've used Ozone 9 for years (pretty much since it came out), loaded as a plugin in the DAW on the master track. Using Waveform 9, 10, 11, and 12. No issues.

The *only* problem I ever had was one particular project where it was causing significant latency on a project when adding a live keyboard part to it. Disabling Ozone for the duration worked. Just happened the one time; never had any other problems.

You *could* render your project and load it into the standalone version of Ozone, but often I don't agree with all aspects of its assistant and make other changes in the project accordingly, so I'd always prefer using Ozone in a DAW rather than rendering first.

One thought: are you also running Tonal Balance Control and other plugins at the same time? I've seen TBC and other plugins really slow down Ozone's performance.
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

Dirk Diggler wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:26 pm You render as wave file, then open the Ozone native app, not the plugin in your DAW.
Enjoy!
There's no Native App anymore in Ozone 10 Advanced, even though that was a part of the 'Advanced' we all paid for :(

The standalone application is great when you're mastering a bunch of songs, like a project of CD. It allows you to get an overall feel, and you select the 30 seconds for each tune. Things get much more consistent across the whole project then.

And the assistant will get you close, of course go in a tweak to your hearts content.

I guess I'll be using 9 for a while then.

SomethingSomeone wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:05 pm
Dirk Diggler wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:53 pm As machinesworking mentions, Render your mix as a stereo file without Ozone on the master buss.

Wait so you are meant to mixdown the project to a wav, add the wav to a new project, and then use Ozone on the master for that one wav audio track?
that is how mastering should be done, over the the mixed down mix. If you are still tweaking the mix you are well.. mixing. separate the two.
dedication to flying

Return to “Effects”