Is REAPER the current best long term choice?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Then why look elsewhere?
Because you never know how much, or if you’re missing out, until you’ve tried some alternatives.
Also, i the time i was demoing Live was at v5 to shoot it out against Project5 v2, so actually “a couple of“ years ago.
For FL Studio i actually own a license for the Producer Edition from around that time too, just to see if it’s worth the hassle to convert my old license that they’re not using anymore to their new one.
So i was basically “ just“ demoing Bitwig out of curiosity for its modulation system, although i already have stuff that can modulate the modulators(tm)
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

sQeetz wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:28 pmNice. That's what you should do, then.
I'd set up an action for it, such a time saver. :clap:

skijumptoes wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:36 pm I'd set up an action for it, such a time saver. :clap:
9 letter word for I don't care?
void main(dumb)

sQeetz wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:39 pmWhat about a kick on the ass? A light one. on the left cheek? Would that suffice?
I think a cuddle would be better. I may not be able to provide the attention you crave, but I can offer some positivity and love your way. x

skijumptoes wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:21 pm I think a cuddle would be better. I may not be able to provide the attention you crave, but I can offer some positivity and love your way. x
hugs (cold ones) I'm pretty cold towards anyone. No need for attention.
void main(dumb)

skijumptoes wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:21 pm
sQeetz wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:39 pmWhat about a kick on the ass? A light one. on the left cheek? Would that suffice?
I think a cuddle would be better. I may not be able to provide the attention you crave, but I can offer some positivity and love your way. x
LOL! Do you think that will help? Here, kittens always help when someone needs cuddles.

fandango wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:20 pm It's been a long time since I had a license, but it looks like Retrospective MIDI record is finally in there? That's been one of the main things keeping me in Cubase land.
Just played around with it tonight, it does indeed have Retrospective MIDI record now (and I can map it to the same keys I'm used to)... :hyper: Well, I might just be back on the Reaper train again.

You're easy to get. ;)

I'm just easy in general... :oops:

all daws depend on what you need. reaper has potential, but its feel like fl studio 3.. very good, but not complete

Michael L wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:48 pm Jacob Collier (5 Grammys) says "Reaper is the best DAW"
(2019 Qwest masterclass, La Petite Halle, Paris)
The youtube videos I've seen where he goes over one of his songs has him in Logic Pro. I wonder if he uses both, or changed.

HitEmTrue wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:45 pm
Michael L wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:48 pm Jacob Collier (5 Grammys) says "Reaper is the best DAW"
(2019 Qwest masterclass, La Petite Halle, Paris)
The youtube videos I've seen where he goes over one of his songs has him in Logic Pro. I wonder if he uses both, or changed.
His Logic streams are deep. In that masterclass Collier has a Logic project up, with Reaper and Live in the dock. He emphasises trying to make what you hear, even if you can't succeed. Some highlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLJVvjqMjbo
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

It depends.

Reaper is a great DAW in terms of value, flexibility, and customization.

It's negatives are its learning curve. It can be intimidating for a beginner but it depends on what you will be using it for.

For basic audio recording and mixing, it is fairly friendly and alot of its sophistication is hidden from user.

For midi though, I find that I have to tweak its default settings which can be a bit weird. That said there are alot of great YouTube tutorials now so it is a bit easier now but for people who want a good workflow out of the box, it can be intimidating to tweak. Reapers default view is probably near the most basic barebones look compared to any DAW with minimal toolbars, but it's complexity is hidden via, numerous default key bindings, mouse modifiers, menu items, and an encyclopedia level of action list.

For a heavy audio recorder/mixer, and occasional midi user, Reaper can be a perfect DAW but with almost any DAW, you need to put some time into it to get the most out of it and I think hardly any user uses all of Reapers functions as they seem almost endless, but the intent is to just use what you need over time and change the defaults you don't like.

All DAWs are like this to a certain extent, Reaper just go so far ahead of about any DAW in customization.

I actually thinking of using Reaper on my Windows 11 PC. But between Reaper and FL Studio as those run great on my PC. I might end using both as FLS is great for creating and Reaper for mixing maybe.

jlgrimes11 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:36 pm
For midi though, I find that I have to tweak its default settings which can be a bit weird. That said there are alot of great YouTube tutorials now so it is a bit easier now but for people who want a good workflow out of the box, it can be intimidating to tweak. Reapers default view is probably near the most basic barebones look compared to any DAW with minimal toolbars, but it's complexity is hidden via, numerous default key bindings, mouse modifiers, menu items, and an encyclopedia level of action list.
I'm still confused as why the MIDI is considered so horrible. The Reaper midi editor, to me, makes a lot more sense than Ableton Live's where you can only draw notes by double-clicking and then CONTINUING to hold down the mouse button before releasing it, while Reaper's works, well, the way I'd expect it to work.

Plus, there's the fact that you CAN change the settings, unlike in Ableton Live.

I'll agree that there are a lot of defaults in Reaper that make zero sense to me, but I don't understand why the MIDI editor gets singled out so hard.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”