Asio4all and multiple audio programs

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

the following question must sound silly.

But am I right thinking that the asio-layer (I use asio4all latest version) should provide a user a way to have multiple audioprograms use one soundcard without switching?

I cannot seem to achieve this and have to shut down and start up programs constantly. This shouldn’t have to be, right?

Thanks in advance, Slug

Asio4All is not an actual ASIO driver. It is a wrapper to make other driver types look like ASIO to a host. ASIO can support multiple devices but the driver has to be written to do that, most do not.

ASIO is not multi client

Asio4All works through bypassing several software layers of the Windows sound system. The mixer which does most of the multi-client heavy-lifting is one of those skipped components. You win some latency at a cost.
EdwardGivens wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:43 pm ASIO is not multi client
Well, some asio drivers are. It's more the exception though than the rule.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:33 pm Asio4All works through bypassing several software layers of the Windows sound system. The mixer which does most of the multi-client heavy-lifting is one of those skipped components. You win some latency at a cost.
EdwardGivens wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:43 pm ASIO is not multi client
Well, some asio drivers are. It's more the exception though than the rule.
Indeed, though I've never used an ASIO driver that wasn't. I didn't realise this feature wasn't common.

[/quote]

Indeed, though I've never used an ASIO driver that wasn't. I didn't realise this feature wasn't common.
[/quote]

I must be behind the times. I wasn't aware that Steinberg had developed a multi client asio driver. A modicum of research shows multiclient asio by RME and NI. That appears to be it. there are some 3rd party wrappers that don't seem to work very well .

for me it's a non issue because I use a DAW to host my soft synths. My browser and media player use the ordinary windows driver - no conflict.

Thanks. What I make of these reactions is that

-asio does not provide an easy way to have multiple applications use one soundcard at the same time

Question 1:

how do I get to the situation that on Windows 10 I have multiple applications open and they can use the soundcard at the same time (that is: it is about ease of use, I do not have to shut down and start up applications, but I can just switch back and forth. I have no need to have two applications actually produce sound at the same time). Back in the days (Windows 98this was possible.

Question 2:

what is the use of Asio at all? What would anyone need it for?

Thanks again, regards, Slug

Slug (37,2°) wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:36 pm how do I get to the situation that on Windows 10 I have multiple applications open and they can use the soundcard at the same time (that is: it is about ease of use, I do not have to shut down and start up applications, but I can just switch back and forth. I have no need to have two applications actually produce sound at the same time). Back in the days (Windows 98this was possible.
On this PC, I have a Soundblaster Z and Steinberg UR22C. I have no issues with sound coming from multiple applications at once. (when I use either of them)
Do you have Exclusive Mode turned on in your settings?
Slug (37,2°) wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:36 pm what is the use of Asio at all? What would anyone need it for?
(potential) lower latency, better 'performance'...

In Cubase I usually use the UR22C ASIO driver (RME UC in the studio room). I only use ASIO4ALL for quick and easy "what you hear" recording (Soundblaster Z).

Thanks! What do you mean by ‘what you hear’ at the end of your reply?

I found an answer by Bert Koor to my question about the use of asio on this forum:

“What a good ASIO driver does, is provide music software with a direct path to the audio outputs. It skips all the extras in Windows, including the mixer which mixes audio from several applications. So you lose something (mixing) but also win something (latency). And then we have not yet touched the subject of sample rate conversions yet.“

I’ll think about a choice between asio or Windows default drivers…

Slug (37,2°) wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:10 pm Thanks! What do you mean by ‘what you hear’ at the end of your reply?
Exactly how it sounds; sound from webpages, youtube, a game running, anything and everything you hear through your speakers.
It's an "audio input" that Creative cards have. You can probably do the same with external software... maybe using VoiceMeeter?

Thanks I get it now

EdwardGivens wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:43 pm
Unaspected wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:04 pm Indeed, though I've never used an ASIO driver that wasn't. I didn't realise this feature wasn't common.
I must be behind the times. I wasn't aware that Steinberg had developed a multi client asio driver. A modicum of research shows multiclient asio by RME and NI. That appears to be it. there are some 3rd party wrappers that don't seem to work very well .

for me it's a non issue because I use a DAW to host my soft synths. My browser and media player use the ordinary windows driver - no conflict.
Focusrite have had multiclient drivers since the early 2000s. There are others. As I say, I'm surprised there are any that aren't.

Slug (37,2°) wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:36 pm Thanks. What I make of these reactions is that

-asio does not provide an easy way to have multiple applications use one soundcard at the same time
Not true.

Slug (37,2°) wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:36 pm Question 1:

how do I get to the situation that on Windows 10 I have multiple applications open and they can use the soundcard at the same time (that is: it is about ease of use, I do not have to shut down and start up applications, but I can just switch back and forth. I have no need to have two applications actually produce sound at the same time). Back in the days (Windows 98this was possible.
You'll want to use proper ASIO drivers, as reginaldStjohn suggested. Otherwise, you could use other drivers that allow for sharing but likely with a significant performance hit over dedicated ASIO device drivers.

Slug (37,2°) wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:36 pm Question 2:

what is the use of Asio at all? What would anyone need it for?
Improved performance and multichannel recording.

Unaspected wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:41 pm multichannel recording.
Can do without ASIO drivers.

T-CM11 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:44 pm
Unaspected wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:41 pm multichannel recording.
Can do without ASIO drivers.
Is that new in Windows 11? I've yet to update - going to hold off at least until my next new build.

Unaspected wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:55 pm Is that new in Windows 11? I've yet to update - going to hold off at least until my next new build.
No, it's DAW (and audio interface drivers) -dependent. Cakewalk (Bandlab now) e.g. can use WDM/WASAPI drivers for recording.
Last edited by T-CM11 on Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”