Are u feeling good about our music technology?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I caught a couple of comments that are putting a maturing of the music soft in a blossoming and fine wine way.
R u feeling lucky and satisfied with our opportunity to scroll our orchestral machines?

I get bored sometimes, but more of the time I'm really amping on my computer studio
-so I am feeling an abundance of tech inspiration

...or do you feel dissatisfied with music tech?
-then why

It's amazing the technology available to us and amazing what it allows us to do. It's also amazing that collectively it feels like we, as humans, are not using it to advance our cultures. Everyone has their own recording studio but our cultures do not coalesce around what comes out of those studios. I feel like the new music I love has other fans, but none that I know personally. It didn't used to be like that. You used to be able to tell what music people liked by the way they dressed. That's how much music influenced culture. The would-be visionaries of today are failing to raise their signals above the noise of modern life. There should be technologies to help connect us to things we enjoy more than other things and to people who love those things too, but attempts at that always seem to fail.
If every KVR member wrote one review a year we'd have 1340 reviews each day!

The technology has been getting better, yet the music is getting worse.

My thoughts are that all this machinery making modern music can still be open-hearted. Not so coldly charted, it's really just a question of your honesty.

Yeah, your honesty.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

I feel great about it. There’s so much now that’s available to anyone. You can download a free synth and run it in Reaper and end up spending more money for lunch, if you don’t count the computer, which can also be had for next to nothing, if you don’t mind one that’s a bit dated. I’ve got a PC that’s basically worthless, yet it runs a lot of great software. If you are broke but don’t like using a computer, there’s a lot of great inexpensive hardware synths and effects out there and you can record them onto your phone or tablet, or even a HD recorder. If you’ve got some money to spend, there are amazing higher end instruments from Moog, Sequential, Waldorf, etc, and you an even go up from there. Modular is a playground that you can never get tired of, and if you don’t really like patch cables (I don’t), download the free VCV Modular and you’re off and running.

If you’re bored of music technology, maybe you’re doing the wrong art.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Hewitt Huntwork wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:51 pm It's amazing the technology available to us and amazing what it allows us to do. It's also amazing that collectively it feels like we, as humans, are not using it to advance our cultures. Everyone has their own recording studio but our cultures do not coalesce around what comes out of those studios. I feel like the new music I love has other fans, but none that I know personally. It didn't used to be like that. You used to be able to tell what music people liked by the way they dressed. That's how much music influenced culture. The would-be visionaries of today are failing to raise their signals above the noise of modern life. There should be technologies to help connect us to things we enjoy more than other things and to people who love those things too, but attempts at that always seem to fail.
I want to become more involved in groups, and I am largely comfortable with the ones I have found on the net, so in part I have realized this community technology, with KVR,Flowstone and Facebook. I amazed too by the technology, and have a vast respect for those who bring on a more intrinsic level than me. A lot of the programmers I have met through this are more capable(inferring a higher intelligence) than me, and wow me in their wizardry. Soundcloud is a fail for me atm because they are not letting me have my own copyright. My attempts to edit my sc have been met with copyright breaches that I am having trouble clearing. I want to represent there in a more quality way

I think the net does partially allow us to share in our desired media, with YouTube at the fore, and comments on music videos there, as well as chat on live sets

thanks for your input Hewitt!

masterhiggins wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:03 pm The technology has been getting better, yet the music is getting worse.
I am guilty of this statement.
My current album is stalled while I noodle

My music is not progressing, while the technology I am bringing is existent in MIDI guitar and plug-ins

I am progressing with my playing and theory some

revvy wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:54 am My thoughts are that all this machinery making modern music can still be open-hearted. Not so coldly charted, it's really just a question of your honesty.

Yeah, your honesty.
honesty is an easy virtue to acquire

My unreleased ep is a far more nice vibe than the torn brokenness I was treading with Polyverse,
I'm trying to make something that sounds good now, not the alien nuclear winter my hardened art fell to. A warmth of spirit is almost necessary to have a good time

zerocrossing wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:59 am I feel great about it. There’s so much now that’s available to anyone. You can download a free synth and run it in Reaper and end up spending more money for lunch, if you don’t count the computer, which can also be had for next to nothing, if you don’t mind one that’s a bit dated. I’ve got a PC that’s basically worthless, yet it runs a lot of great software. If you are broke but don’t like using a computer, there’s a lot of great inexpensive hardware synths and effects out there and you can record them onto your phone or tablet, or even a HD recorder. If you’ve got some money to spend, there are amazing higher end instruments from Moog, Sequential, Waldorf, etc, and you an even go up from there. Modular is a playground that you can never get tired of, and if you don’t really like patch cables (I don’t), download the free VCV Modular and you’re off and running.

If you’re bored of music technology, maybe you’re doing the wrong art.
sweet to hear!
glad you've found this then
I am free and open source, proffering ~20 plugs

I am up and down in my consideration of everything and anything it seems.
It's good advice to do something different if music is not doing it for u,
but I would temper that with coming straight back soon
I tinker with things in my shed and draw also

It's awesome, and still improving.
masterhiggins wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:03 pm The technology has been getting better, yet the music is getting worse.
I'm willing to accept the premise that top 40 radio is worse than it was in the 80s or 90s. Subjectively, of course.

But there's a LOT of music out there beyond that, and a lot of it is good. And our access to recorded music is easier, cheaper, faster, more diverse etc. than at any other time in history. (The live music situation isn't as rosy, perhaps.)

it's also a proliferation of music,
so there are less professional productions moreso

I actually like the modern movements, trap and dubstep -psy-trance too,
but psy is rather aged in the modern present future time-scale
-our previous methods are still available for rock, electro, country
the technology is not exclusive of these intentions

Hewitt Huntwork wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:51 pm It's amazing the technology available to us and amazing what it allows us to do.
Indeed. 25 years ago, where I started to notice that there is such thing as audio software, I would have never imagined that it comes such a long way.

I remember what a revolutionary thing Rebirth RB-338 used to be. ;)

ReBirth is currently valuable to me still
-the automation recording system would be hard to replicate even now
the old executables are plainly superseded by the modular host/DAW

your involvement is about as long as mine chk

we are getting more capable,
the processor speed revolution has slowed though as far as I can tell

chk071 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:18 pm
I remember what a revolutionary thing Rebirth RB-338 used to be. ;)
I remember when people would ask if you could remove the vocals from a song, or if you could remove the reverb from a drum loop and the answer was not just, "no," it was, "oh, you foolish child..."

Now we have mvsep.com and it's FREE, for crying out loud!
If every KVR member wrote one review a year we'd have 1340 reviews each day!

Still feels like sorcery to me. :)

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”