Does FU count as profanity when used in a statement?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.

Does FU count as profanity?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:30 pm

Yes, FU in a statement constitutes profanity.
72%
No, FU in a statement does not constitute profanity.
17%
I don't know/understand
11%

Total votes: 18

RELATED
PRODUCTS

it depends on the nature of the receiver,
whether it's a problem to them

some r porcelain, some would arc, maybe some think that language inflections don't matter to communicate something or are used to it
depends on which customer u say it to imo

my mother has told me if I say that to her, she will kick me out
- we r Tasmanian sorta

It means f**k you, so f**king obvs it's profanity you fuckin eejit. :dog:
When I were a lad we called each other c's all the time but I had enough sense to know that was for mates but you didn't call your granny one. Calling each other c's is not, by the way, culture. You get no "cultural" allowance for swearing.

If you don't think contacting a company then telling them you felt like they told you to f**k off will make them get a bit tetchy, then there is no hope for you and you really are full bogan. If that company had some balls they'd reply: "yeah, we did say f**k you, if you didn't hear us first time...f**k off". But obvs it's a humorous post, because there's something wrong with you if you think FU is cultural and inoffensive to those outside your own "culture" as you call it.

morelia wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:12 am
chk071 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:38 pm Well, let's just say that you could have put it more diplomatically.

And, a FU in my cultural circle is an absolute no-go. But then, we don't swear like the English natives here.

I would always opt for the more calm, less emotional and upset way. It's much easier to deal with support, and, really, anyone.
See that's the thing, I am calm. Where I grew up everyone was a C. If we didn't like someone we just wouldn't interact with them. If someone game me a lot of shit I knew we were mates. The words I use are no indication of my state of mind. I'd just my culture (or lack of :hihi: ).
Sounds to me like you've already arrived at a decision, and decided for you that it's perfectly alright to word it like you have... what's the thread for then?

kritikon wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:40 am If that company had some balls they'd reply: "yeah, we did say f**k you, if you didn't hear us first time...f**k off".
I agree completely. And if they had done we would be at a a point of understanding each other. But as it is I still have no idea what they are about because rather than answer the question they chose to hone in on the oh so horrific abbreviation. Yes, I'm a bogan, so crucify me for where I was born and brought up my lord.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

morelia wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:09 amYes, I'm a bogan, so crucify me for where I was born and brought up my lord.
Reading through all this, it looks like you're perfectly capable of expressing yourself without swearing, and don't really need such excuses. ;)

You know, I don't want to rule out an overreaction and an evasion of your question on the other end, but, I'd be less motivated as well when someone starts swearing. Doesn't have to be. For what, about such a nothingness.

chk071 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:49 amSounds to me like you've already arrived at a decision, and decided for you that it's perfectly alright to word it like you have... what's the thread for then?
Of course I have. What would be the point of asking others what they thought about it if I hadn't made my decision. That doesn't mean I can't change my mind. In fact I've already made up my mind that I was wrong. Having said that I speak to support people like this a lot and unless it is a complaint there have never been any issues.

For example:

"Hey, you f**kers just ran a great f**king sale. Much appreciated" = No problem.

"Hey you just ran a sale that feels like a FU to me" = Wah, Mummy he sweared at me!
Last edited by morelia on Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

chk071 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:12 am
morelia wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:09 amYes, I'm a bogan, so crucify me for where I was born and brought up my lord.
Reading through all this, it looks like you're perfectly capable of expressing yourself without swearing, and don't really need such excuses. ;)

You know, I don't want to rule out an overreaction and an evasion of your question on the other end, but, I'd be less motivated as well when someone starts swearing. Doesn't have to be. For what, about such a nothingness.
I've been here long enough to know the rules.

End of discussion. Looks like I was wrong. Seems FU counts as profanity to most people.

f**k it. :shrug:

Fk everything. For fkn fk's sake!

:tu:

I regularly use a lot (and I really mean a lot!) of curse words and profanities when I talk.

With that said, in a formal context (like filling a complaint) I would never use an expression like FU because I don’t want to provide an excuse to deviate from the subject of my complaint.
If I want to escalate, I’d rather say something in the lines of “as a paying customer, I feel insulted by the behaviour of your company”.

It may depend on the culture, but I doubt there’s a lot of people so much sensible to profanities… to me, it often seems a way to shut up people without having to provide proper arguments.

Anyway, local culture means a lot; I live in a place were the equivalent of the c-word (“mona”) is often used and not perceived as vulgar as in English (it can be really offensive in certain situations, but the word is often used and it’s not among the most vulgar words)… just my 2c
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

Swearing is not f**king big and it’s not f**king clever either.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

morelia wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:30 pm I emailed a company saying that their service felt like a FU to a customer.

The replied stating that any further profanity would not be tolerated and would result in my requests being deleted. Based on my local culture this is absolutely about as tame as we speak and I really feel I went out of my way to avoid profanity. What do you think?
Was it Plugin Alliance?

morelia wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:16 am
chk071 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:49 amSounds to me like you've already arrived at a decision, and decided for you that it's perfectly alright to word it like you have... what's the thread for then?
Of course I have. What would be the point of asking others what they thought about it if I hadn't made my decision. That doesn't mean I can't change my mind. In fact I've already made up my mind that I was wrong. Having said that I speak to support people like this a lot and unless it is a complaint there have never been any issues.

For example:

"Hey, you f**kers just ran a great f**king sale. Much appreciated" = No problem.

"Hey you just ran a sale that feels like a FU to me" = Wah, Mummy he sweared at me!
:hihi:

Well you put a smile on my face.

It's a similar story in the UK. Though I've also worked in customer services and manner is everything - not the words used. I wouldn't get all bent out of shape just because someone swears casually. This said, it is profanity and I think you've made the right decision to tone it down a little when dealing with professionals in future. Especially via the written word, where your tone is given to you by whoever is reading.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”