Blew the dust off.... Z3TA+ 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yeah, I got the response from Cakewalk/Bandlab support that I should use Cakewalk Command Center, and see if I can activate Z3TA 2 from there. I'll give it a try. Last time, it worked, but, that was years ago.

On the other hand... could just stick with z3ta+.

Z3TA was great back in the day.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

chk071 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:02 pm I got the response from Cakewalk/Bandlab support that I should use Cakewalk Command Center, and
I just installed Z3TA+2.2.3.51 by using the Offline Activation method.

You can use a computer that is online, just select offline activation from the options menu in Z3TA. Select export and it will create a .crq file which you then upload to your Cakewalk account by again selecting offline activation.

Once you submit that .crq file it will generate and download an "activation response".dat file. Just point Z3TA to that file and select import, again from the Options menu.

Z3TA+ should be then registered and operational.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Robmobius wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:43 pm Z3TA was great back in the day.
The sound of Z3TA hasn't changed since its last update but the sound of other synths in the same market niche have certainly changed over the years.

It's up to the individual to decide whether Z3TA still holds its own against today's offerings.

I think it still sounds good but I'm trying not to use any abandoned plugins in new projects. I'll still call it up for a play once in awhile and maybe someday CW will resurrect it again although I highly doubt that will happen.

I'm just impressed by how even after all these years we can still download and authorize our CW products. Respect for CW for still taking care of their old customers. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Thanks for the hint, which solved the riddle for me. Actually, I had version 2.1 installed without even knowing it (stupid me... the installer I backed up on my hard drive was very old), and, that one didn't even have an option in the menu for offline activation. I downloaded the latest installer now from my Cakewalk account, and, that one has the option to import and export the offline activation file.

Unfortunately, the installer didn't let me specify the location for the VST2 filter, and just installed it in some default location (c:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins). Not good...

chk071 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:13 pm Thanks for the hint, which solved the riddle for me. Actually, I had version 2.1 installed without even knowing it (stupid me... the installer I backed up on my hard drive was very old), and, that one didn't even have an option in the menu for offline activation. I downloaded the latest installer now from my Cakewalk account, and, that one has the option to import and export the offline activation file.

Unfortunately, the installer didn't let me specify the location for the VST2 filter, and just installed it in some default location (c:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins). Not good...
You can always move the VST2 or VST3 plug-ins to wherever you want them after they're installed. You'll have to delete them from there manually if you ever uninstall the plug-in, but it's worth it if you like putting your plug-ins where you want them.

After you move it to the folder you want, simply run Cakewalk's plug-in manager again. It will find it in the new folder and all you have to do is save that plug-in list.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

planetearth wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:28 pm You can always move the VST2 or VST3 plug-ins to wherever you want them after they're installed. You'll have to delete them from there manually if you ever uninstall the plug-in, but it's worth it if you like putting your plug-ins where you want them.
I've never advocated manually moving .dll files after they are installed.

Sadly as mentioned above the Z3TA installer does not allow a custom install location which all good installers should do at least these days but all I did was add the Cakewalk location to my DAWs' search paths and let them rescan.

I feel that's a bit more stable solution than manually moving files.

I see a few of you having a bit of problems there. I took the command centre on a USB key installed on the machine..and had my login available, put the machine online, which is usually offline... the only software from Cakewalk was that synth sitting in the command centre, it installed in a flash, less than 1 min. No idea where it even put it. Cubase found it immediately.

I had a little go on it and loaded a preset I had made ages ago, sounded ok. It has a quite hard sound to it, as many of the synths in early 2000's did.. but again works for my perfect plans. Glad it inspired a few reinstalls. I like how it looks. I may try and have a go at programing a few basic sounds.

Teksonik wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:44 pm
planetearth wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:28 pm You can always move the VST2 or VST3 plug-ins to wherever you want them after they're installed. You'll have to delete them from there manually if you ever uninstall the plug-in, but it's worth it if you like putting your plug-ins where you want them.
I've never advocated manually moving .dll files after they are installed.

Sadly as mentioned above the Z3TA installer does not allow a custom install location which all good installers should do at least these days but all I did was add the Cakewalk location to my DAWs' search paths and let them rescan.

I feel that's a bit more stable solution than manually moving files.
That's fine. I've never had a problem doing this for the past decade, but to each his own.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

zed-three-tah plus 2
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

I don't advocate moving plugins that have an installer either,
it can cause registry errors
I have experience in this only on Windows

I just installed 2.2 on win 10 three or four days ago. I logged into the cakewalk site and used the offline authorization challenge response. It went through without a hitch. I may install Dimension Pro in the next few days as well.

planetearth wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:22 pm That's fine. I've never had a problem doing this for the past decade, but to each his own.
I did have issues with moving plugins a long long time ago (lost connection to samples, presets, skins, etc) so I just made it a habit never to manually move .dlls after they are installed.

It's probably not as much of an issue now as it was 15-20 years ago but I still stick to the old habit. Almost all installers allow a custom install path these days so it's really not much of an issue any longer. :shrug:

Synthman2000 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:11 pm I see a few of you having a bit of problems there. I took the command centre on a USB key installed on the machine..and had my login available, put the machine online, which is usually offline... the only software from Cakewalk was that synth sitting in the command centre, it installed in a flash, less than 1 min. No idea where it even put it. Cubase found it immediately.
All of that was unnecessary. Just use the Offline Authorization method that does not require the Command Center.

Your Cubase probably found the VST3 version since it was installed where Steinberg wants.

I don't know how long it's been since the Command Center was updated so if we don't have to install or run an ancient app it's better not to... :shrug:

Anyway I've had a play with Z3TA+ today and it still sounds good but would I reach for it over any of the modern plugins in my collection? Probably not. :?

The old GUI is hard for me to work with at 1080p. Many parameters and values are too small to be read without putting my nose on the monitor.

I think it would be worth updating to Z3ta+3 but it would need a modern GUI and some tweaks to the sound.

I don't know who ended up with the rights to Rene's old plugins so there may be legal reasons why Z3TA is destined to fade into history.

Oh and I noticed the Midi File to Arp bug still exists. If I remember correctly they were working on it when Cakewalk began to have troubles.

In the past, I usually ended up installing it, trying it out to get a feel for the sound again, and then quickly realize what I like better in other plugins I own, sonically. ;) It's never been my first choice in that regard, but, it has a few sweet spots, and definitely a bit of a digital old school vibe, which can be useful. I also remember that it could do cold, spacey pads very well. I guess nobody will know what that means, but, I made a few of those with z3ta. :)

Return to “Instruments”