Erae Touch - All-around MIDI 2.0 controller?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I’m glad you found this. Embodme isn’t the best about communicating some of this stuff.

The laptop stand I ordered fits like a glove (like it was made to measure!) and seems very sturdy, recommended (for studio use at least!)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Projector-Lapt ... B01J82KE1U

X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Nice! It looks exactly like the older of my two projector stands, which developed a wobble, where the tray is attached to the upright, after a few months of infrequent use. Hopefully, mine was just a manufacturing fault and yours will last better, because it does look like a perfect fit.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Time will tell, I am not suggesting its 'road worthy' but it's definitely OK in my little studio I guess you could also get the angle you want and then tag weld it or even super glue it at that angle! Legs are definitely robust enough, better than my drum kit symbol stands anyway! Fit is weirdly good considering the unit is a weird 404mm and the inside of the tray is 405mm!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

It's probably some arcane ISO standard that Embodme used.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

V1.3 firmware is available. I'm away for the weekend so I don't have it yet but I thought I'd post, in case some of you haven't received a notification. Here's what's new -

New Features
[Updated Changelog (Erae Touch Firmware only)]
1. CC and Channel numbers can be changed from the CC mapping menu
2. User can choose whether to send MPE and non MPE MIDI data on different USB MIDI outputs or not
3. Long press on Alt button when in CC Mapping mode will save all layouts (including MIDI channels, MIDI CC and scale information)
4. Improved finger detection
5. Fixed button behaviour when using with DAW
6. Revamped all MIDI FX
7. Better finger pressure filter on slide
8. Fixed inconsistent internal BPM issue
9. Fixed issue that caused some USB MIDI messages to not be transmitted
10. Fixed sequencer sequence saving issues
11. Fixed stuck note issue in sequencer (a single sequencer can now play at most 16 notes at the same time)
12. Control Change & Program Change buttons state is now shared across all layouts
13. Fixed button bugs
14. MPE configuration messages are now only sent when changing layout
15. MIDI Clock is now in internal mode by default
16. Fixed imprecision of note selection in Harmonizer effect UI
17. Fixed a bug that prevented some animations from being displayed
18. Fixed BPM display issues and capped internal BPM to 999
19. Fixed some visual bugs
20. Improved Sequencer Record Quantization

[Updated Changelog (Erae Lab)]
1. Project management
2. Pitchbend in vibrato section
3. Improved learn section
4. Deactivate preview mode upon pulling layouts
5. Fix duplicate elements bug
6. Contraints relative CC initial value within min/max
7. Various UI improvements

Thanks for the pointer. Have to test if my LinnStrument layouts work better now…

That looks like a great update, will download today!

Saw that. I hope to try it this weekend. Great to see from Embodme!

Here's a new video for setting up in Live. The Live side of it looks really basic but the performance is pretty damned impressive -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du2vTU4 ... el=embodme

Having to stare at your midi controller screen with only visual cues and no touch placement/feedback at all for hand/finger positions is a deal breaker. Nice idea though.
Have you tried Vital?

It's no different to a normal keyboard - you don't feel for each infdividual key on a piano, you know where they are in relation to the key(s) you are currently holding down. So, just like a piano, you only need to get your start position right, after that your fingers manage everything else. It just takes a bit of practise, like mini-keys.

I'm sure one could get used to it somewhat if they've used the same layout for a long period of time, however its not remotely close to a keyboard which has a physical reference to where every individual finger is at. Not sure any pianist would be able to perform anything significant on an 88 key string of paper with lines of where the notes are, even if they were looking right at it.

I experimented for years with my sensels, made dozens of surfaces including erase-board type setups with no physical pad/keys and the only one that worked remotely consistently without looking at it was large XYZ pads or 1-2 finger placements that could reference the physical boundaries of the surface to maintain positions. More importantly it just wasn't worth the trouble. In a recording studio that type of setup would be fine. In a live situation not looking down constantly for reference would guarantee some embarrassing hiccups.

Course one could likely make a similar 'top layer' replaceable surface of pads and physical references and add it to this the same way I've done with the sensel.
Have you tried Vital?

For a trained pianist only the Osmose would be an expressive option. To a certain degree a Seaboard. But for non keyboarders with a bit of background knowing where the keys on a piano are, it is possible to use these gigantic keys. My background now is the LinnStrument. The first thing I did, was to make a LinnStrument like layout with a 2*2 grid. As the resolution of the Erae is lower than the one from the LinnStrument, I had to adapt my playing a bit, but now I can get around with it.
Any other note based layout would not be an option.
My first impression anyway, its perfect for drumming including finger drumming. Look at the presenter of the Erae Touch as a percussionist. Percussion players have no problem with changing sets…
The one layout I use with my Sensel is as well a LinnStrument layout and I play it without any overlay… If someone needs an innovators layout, I will sell mine…

I also sold my Sensel Morph after getting this…I found the ERAE better in every way.
It’s perfect for percussion - drums or tuned, I play it with my hands, sticks and mallets no problem. No more Nord drum gear lust! It’s perfectly playable in a linnstrument type layout, as a clip launcher and as a control device..for example I have it set up as 4 xy pads for zebra…all in all a very useful Studio tool…my Osmose is due anytime now, but that is ‘just’ a keyboard, the ERAE can be many things!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”