2022: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2022)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Scan have reintroduced long term zero percent credit via PayPal. Had one of these on my list for ages and have now got one on the way
Now I'll just have to stick my 49 key version up for sale. And the 88 key Nektar MIDI controller can go too. I'll finally have a space on my stand for the Wavestate I bought weeks ago.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Is there a standalone mixer that can directly handle hot eurorack signals via mono mini jacks?

Are you safe?

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:45 pm Is there a standalone mixer that can directly handle hot eurorack signals via mono mini jacks?
There's stuff like the Volca Mixer and the Field Kit but I think you're probably limiting your self a lot by trying to find a mixer with 3.5mm jack inputs. I just use 3.5mm to 1/4" cables to connect modules to a DI before running into a mixer but you can just as easily connect to a line input without a DI. Pricey mixers may have enough headroom to handle modular levels but a simple attenuator can be used to bring modular levels down to the typical line level range.

Another option would be to use a 3.5mm>1/4" patch bay. I think ADDAC makes one. I've been thinking about making a panel like that with some passive attenuators and possible transformer balanced outputs (transformer can attenuate the outgoing signal, depending on how it's wound).

I think I made a big mistake. I haven't used a Buchla 200e system since I babysat one for a few months in like 2012. On Wednesday night I spent some time with a huge Buchla system owned by someone who wants to sell most of their 200e stuff.
I found myself quite frustrated the first couple of times I messed with a 200e system and I just decided at the time that it wasn't for me and that I'd continue expanding my eurorack setup.

Wednesday night was different... like suddenly it clicked for me. Now I'm considering selling off most of my eurorack stuff to fund a 12 panel 200e system. I bought one of my friend's 291e modules, hooked it up with my easel clone and I'm just in awe. I mean I knew I liked the sound, I love things other people have done with 200e systems but before, it just didn't seem like it was for me.

I still love eurorack but I would need to part with a significant amount of my system to make space and pay for even a small 200e system. But a small system could go along way, particularly when combined with my easel clone and other stuff. It's weird to be asking myself whether I'd be willing to part with things like my QMMG...

justin3am wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:53 pm I think I made a big mistake. I haven't used a Buchla 200e system since I babysat one for a few months in like 2012. On Wednesday night I spent some time with a huge Buchla system owned by someone who wants to sell most of their 200e stuff.
I found myself quite frustrated the first couple of times I messed with a 200e system and I just decided at the time that it wasn't for me and that I'd continue expanding my eurorack setup.

Wednesday night was different... like suddenly it clicked for me. Now I'm considering selling off most of my eurorack stuff to fund a 12 panel 200e system. I bought one of my friend's 291e modules, hooked it up with my easel clone and I'm just in awe. I mean I knew I liked the sound, I love things other people have done with 200e systems but before, it just didn't seem like it was for me.

I still love eurorack but I would need to part with a significant amount of my system to make space and pay for even a small 200e system. But a small system could go along way, particularly when combined with my easel clone and other stuff. It's weird to be asking myself whether I'd be willing to part with things like my QMMG...
Sounds like the kind of expensive mistake that'll keep you happy?

On the much less expensive side (after discounts), Ether v2 arrived.

elxsound wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:27 pm
Sounds like the kind of expensive mistake that'll keep you happy?
Well it’s a source of some anxiety. :hihi:
At the beginning of the year, I wasn’t planning on starting a Buchla system and I’m still focusing my attention on the Serge stuff, with the intent of releasing some new music next year.
Starting a new modular system would be pretty disruptive (though definitely a lot of fun!) especially if it means parting with some of my eurorack… Eh, it’s all good. I just gotta be deliberate and take time to consider stuff.

elxsound wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:28 pm On the much less expensive side (after discounts), Ether v2 arrived.

Those are so much fun!

Playing around with this thing, which I am starting to get used to
deluxe_small.png
and also bought the RipX DeepRemix app which is pretty good for splitting tracks into stems using its AI
https://youtu.be/tewsBWic9VY
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Are you safe?

Had a module that’s “due for delivery today” for the last 3 bloody days.
Huh… Evri, should be called Nevri, amirite ?!?

is this mic on?

Are you safe?

I wasn’t really in the market for another synth, but a good deal fell in my lap and I finally picked up a Blofeld! It’s funny, this synth has been on my “someday I’ll own one” list ever since it was released and I’m just now getting around to it! It certainly doesn’t disappoint.

:party:
10BB53C0-59A1-49B2-8915-09875E29E634.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Yeah I always thought it was a super powerful synth for its day.
I’ve got their Largo plugin that’s supposedly based on the same code engine and it’s got some good patches using the modulation capabilities.

Are you safe?

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:05 pm I’ve got their Largo plugin that’s supposedly based on the same code engine...
I always hear the same thing, but I've owned Largo for over a decade now (I think) and I never thought it sounded at all like the demos of the Blofeld I'd hear. Largo sounds harsh, aggressive, and cold to me, whereas the Blofeld demos (and now the actual synth) sound much warmer to my ears. Maybe there's a placebo effect going on there, but I'm loving the sounds coming from the Blofeld.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

I quite liked the harsh cold metallic Largo sounds tbh, got loads of other warm analog things.

Are you safe?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”