Acoustic treatment

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not possible to put my speakers against the wall.

What do you mean by good speakers?

If you're talking about my speakers, I think Focal Alpha 65s and Adam A 77 Xs aren't crap :)

10 years ago looking at mixing monitors I looked at lot after what room adjustments were there.

Some brands had a general adjustment from 300 Hz and down if close to a wall, some had trim for bass, mid and treble and some volume balance for tweeters. These can be difference between success or not for your room conditions.

Adam and Focal are top notch stuff in general. But if you find them muffled and undefined hard to say what is wrong.

Listening to good reference tracks is best way to find out, to rule out own mixing skills.

So if doing own tracks, change mix until as good as it gets and try various other listening devices and hear how they translate. It could be, not for certain, but could be how it will sound as you finalize a mix.

I used Izotope Ozone for one thing only, how you have an accumulated frequency profile over a full song and compare to guide lines in Ozone. I was very surprised how professional recording I had followed these as well, as mastering goes.

So
a) good reference tracks you adore the sound of as listening to in other devices as well.
b) check out how your mixes frequency content compare to guide lines in Ozone.
You set refreshrate to infinite so it cumulates over a full song and see how it compares.
There are two guide lines from 1 kHz and up, one minus 3 dB/octave and one minus 6 dB/octave.
All professional recordings I had fit into between these lines, even vinyl. Modern CD mixes usually more close to minus 3 dB guid line.
c) check out which listening volume and how different it sounds, ears are very sensitive to volume and our frequency response is very different. So listen from very low to rather high volume and check out differences.

A good mix is a good balance of the full spectrum, kind of, that sound full to our ears.
- it can be an arrangement thing what instruments are there at the same time
- stacking too much low end stuff on top of each other create muffled sound and not making bass more profound.

I created a reference track from various recording I have where I found certain things excelled. 30s each part maybe, some where drums were extra ordinary, some where beatyful clean mids and highs and some where bass were special.

And analyze recordings you really like what make them special
- are instrument parts coming and going that make it interesting to listen to

I always have trouble that I like certain instruments too much and they are there all the track through - but try to learn and kill my darlings, as they say.

So doing own mixes I calibrate ears to these reference tracks every now and then. It's so easy to get fatique hearing and next day listening to a mix from day before you find it sound crap.

But good reference tracks is a blessing to have and go back and forth calibrating ears to own mixes.

Hope you get some more ideas how to proceed. :)

So your head is 40 cm from a wall and your speakers are a meter away. No wonder there are issues. This is not "nearfield": monitor closer than the wall, empty space behind you. Understandable situation in a room of 2x2 meter, but you say your room is 20m2 so at least one dimension is over 4 meter.

Something is not right here. U-shape, the marigold? Questions...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Trancer wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:55 pm Not possible to put my speakers against the wall.

What do you mean by good speakers?

If you're talking about my speakers, I think Focal Alpha 65s and Adam A 77 Xs aren't crap :)
I didn't say good.speakers, just that front ported can be ok right against a wall. How come you're have to be 40cm away from the wall?

And this other point about some reference music you know well is good advice, if you can play it while moving the speakers.

That is of course if it is the speakers and not your soundcard or amp, or speaker switch if you have one. Maybe also try plugging as directly as possible to one set of speakers.

Thanks a lot for your answers.

lfm

An excellent idea, I hadn't thought of a reference piece (composition or artist) at all.

I will try that.

The option to take the product izitope not a bad thing also, guideline and corrections.

I will perform the various tests.

BertKoor

The 40 cm, due to the location of my main screen, which is put at a perfect height (adapted structure) for long seasons of composition and mixing.

Concerning the distance of one meter for my speakers, linked to the arrangement of my furniture, the reason for the U-shape and this distance.

leras

I will do the tests as recommended.

Regarding the live connection, that's what I did first.

Sorry, but I'm having difficulties understanding your situation.
Can you post a wide angle photo where we see your chair and the monitors?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Sorry for the delay for my response.

I changed my configuration a bit, I called on an acquaintance of a friend where I buy my music equipment.

he modified as he told me here on the forum the frequencies of my speakers and he tested with a microphone and specific software and the worries were resolved as much as possible.

Now I have a much sharper, more defined sound and no more unpleasant noise.

The reverberation should be practically nil when processing.

I will have to buy to have the best result of the basstraps and the absorbent panels.

Thanks again for your answers, opinions and help.

Does anyone know good places to find foam etc in Canada?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”