Which synthesizer is most suitable for ambient music?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Boy Wonder wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:47 am As an ambient musician, it's nice to see this thread is still running. I would've thought that the first page would've been the last.

Two months ago, I was soooooooooooo f**king frustrated with my noisy upstairs neighbour that I actually sat down and composed a piece that would bring calm my nerves. It worked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_Oboe_Payw
Noisy neighbors are the worst. I like that piece you made, nice sound! Coincidentally the planet earth screensaver was playing on my Apple TV whilst listening.

LFO8 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:24 pm True. I'm ok doing my scales on the keyboard. Som basic triads also, but not enough muscle memory to naturally let a whole piece flow. What's your take on apps like FlowKey? Or best to have a teacher sit with you?
I think that apps have a place, but there is no substitute for a teacher. The teacher is ineractive and will be able to look at what you're doing and correct (inevitable) mistakes and bad habits, but also determine where you need more or less practice. The other thing to consider is accountability, they will often set practice tasks each week. Learning will be faster with a teacher for sure.

Wouldn the most sophisticated and perfected form of Ambient be Silence, the most pure Drone just an endless Void? On this planet nowhere near to 'naturally' achieve this, so Ambience might be the nearest to Perfection as we can get. Just some Thoughts to keep this interesting thread going for a little longer.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

El°HYM wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:43 am Wouldn the most sophisticated and perfected form of Ambient be Silence, the most pure Drone just an endless Void? On this planet nowhere near to 'naturally' achieve this, so Ambience might be the nearest to Perfection as we can get. Just some Thoughts to keep this interesting thread going for a little longer.
Over on an ambient forum, I actually mentioned John Cage's silent piece 4'33" as being ambient. As a result, the musicians there placed a pox on house, my neighbour's house, and the houses of everyone within a ten-block radius of mine. Such was their disdain for 4'33".
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

Boy Wonder wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:19 am
El°HYM wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:43 am Wouldn the most sophisticated and perfected form of Ambient be Silence, the most pure Drone just an endless Void? On this planet nowhere near to 'naturally' achieve this, so Ambience might be the nearest to Perfection as we can get. Just some Thoughts to keep this interesting thread going for a little longer.
Over on an ambient forum, I actually mentioned John Cage's silent piece 4'33" as being ambient. As a result, the musicians there placed a pox on house, my neighbour's house, and the houses of everyone within a ten-block radius of mine. Such was their disdain for 4'33".
How about Eric Satie's Musique d’ameublement?

El°HYM wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:22 am
This is a funny piece. The same short phrase played over and over for six minutes. I can just see people squirming in their seats the first time they saw and heard it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU2mDkZoYsc
If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.

I don't usually make music that is "ambient" exactly, but I like using a synth plugin such as Synthmaster, maybe add some old Solina sounds, Mellotron, and bits of percussion tossed in here and there for effect. A huge reverb helps too :hihi:

El°HYM wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:43 am Wouldn the most sophisticated and perfected form of Ambient be Silence, the most pure Drone just an endless Void? On this planet nowhere near to 'naturally' achieve this,
Or: Ambient represents pure nature. When you are standing in a quiet forest and start to hear your environment more and more and what sounds are going on, the more you focus on it, you will perceive things going on that you were not able to hear before. You may hear a rythm, a melody - the single sounds connected as a whole that make an impression in yourself. Its impressive how these things have such a strong effect, especially because some tones and movements in the sound are pretty subtle. An interesting aspect of this kind of music is for me that on one side, it tends to make the listener quiter and on the other hand requires a certain emptyness by the listener. Somehow familiar to meditation.

I really need to try producing Ambient, when I think about it... Ancient Ambient. :D

El°HYM wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:43 am Wouldn the most sophisticated and perfected form of Ambient be Silence
Nope. Unless you're profoundly deaf, silence doesnt exist.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

ancient7 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:21 pm Or: Ambient represents pure nature.
Not in a city it doesnt.

whyterabbyt wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:05 pm
El°HYM wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:43 am Wouldn the most sophisticated and perfected form of Ambient be Silence
Read again. Then on top, taking a Quote out of Context to make your point. How 'smart' must one be. :roll:
Last edited by El°HYM on Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Boy Wonder wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:56 am
El°HYM wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:22 am
This is a funny piece. The same short phrase played over and over for six minutes. I can just see people squirming in their seats the first time they saw and heard it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU2mDkZoYsc
https://youtu.be/4HD3D5nvfDU

any synth you learn to program can be good for whatever type of music you want to make.

Albino 3

El°HYM wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:23 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:05 pm
Read again. Then on top, taking a Quote out of Context to make your point. How 'smart' must one be. :roll:
For someone who wanted the thread to go on a little longer, you sure dont seem to like people contributing. I guess you think you're the arbiter of who can post and what.

Anyway, go read up on the actual inspiration for 4'33", which had already been mentioned by the time I posted, since you clearly didnt get my context or point.

Return to “Instruments”