How much money have you spent on plugins?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Michael L wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:44 pm Include in your calculations the amount of TIME to master each new plugin.
TIme cost often exceeds money cost.
What? No!
Just start tweaking knobs until it sounds good, and if it still doesn’t, pull up another plugin and try again.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:06 am
Michael L wrote: Fri May 02, 2025 10:30 pm Include in your calculations the amount of TIME to master each new plugin.
TIme cost often exceeds money cost.
What? No!
Just start tweaking knobs until it sounds good, and if it still doesn’t, pull up another plugin and try again.
That's backassward.

There is no "bad sound."
Just change the genre of your song until it fits the sound.
Then it's "good."

It sounds to me like you need this:
https://everynoise.com
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Wow. I just found Red Temple Spirits in "Gothic Post-Punk." That's pretty obscure. Of course all the other bands listed are so obscure I've never even heard of any of them.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:46 am Wow. I just found Red Temple Spirits in "Gothic Post-Punk." That's pretty obscure. Of course all the other bands listed are so obscure I've never even heard of any of them.
Thanks a lot for the hint!
I've quite some fun listening to that music :)

not plugins, but between the music stuff, collectables and weed from the past 10 years alone, i could have bought this house :o :scared:

around 5000€ for Laptop, Interface, Midi-keyboards and Speakers
around 5000€ for VSTs, Drum and Sample Kits

Talking bout the vsts, I'm so happy that I listened often to my friends and other youtubers, who helped me picking the right vsts without wasting much money.
Yeah so basically I bought over about 3 years every single plugin I need, and never paid the full price. I was really patient waiting for those sales :D But it helped saving a lot of money.

for a second I thought I'd clicked on VI-control. Whew!

Spent $500 during the black friday. :( and $1000 on hardware :(

BF for me - About £200 on plugins, £2000 on hardware. Most of that was on a Hydrasynth Deluxe, Scan offering 48 months 0% interest credit so I bought it for myself as an early Christmas present.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Over Black Friday and Cyber Monday I must have spent about £200 on plugins. Over my lifetime, no idea (way too much probably).

Almost $10K and I don’t make money from music.

its not expensive at all if you compare software prices to hardver prices.
plus you can buy second hand software at the fraction of the original price, and black friday / xmas promo prices are really good.

At a guess, around $2K on software (~500 on Komplete Ultimate being the biggest outlay). Made more than half that back from audio/music - mainly voiceovers, but also licensing and a few gigs. This is over at least a 10-year period. Most of the software was bought "on sale" (in quotes because that depends on whether you view $29 as the actual price or the sale price for Waves/PA etc.).

Spent way more than that on hardware, easily more than $10K if you count everything I've ever bought since I was a teenager. A significant chunk of that would be 2.5K on my mixer and 2K on my Summit.

That might sound like a lot, but over ~30 years, it's still only about 400 per year for both HW and SW. That's in the same ballpark as something like a Netflix subscription, and I'd say I got a lot more value than I would from Netflix. Whether you count that as expensive is obviously subjective. But if you take the longer term perspective - i.e. don't see it as a requirement to buy everything you could conceivably need right now, it's totally affordable with a semi-decent job. And you don't really need 13 guitars ;)

sjm wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:45 pm At a guess, around $2K on software (~500 on Komplete Ultimate being the biggest outlay). Made more than half that back from audio/music - mainly voiceovers, but also licensing and a few gigs. This is over at least a 10-year period. Most of the software was bought "on sale" (in quotes because that depends on whether you view $29 as the actual price or the sale price for Waves/PA etc.).

Spent way more than that on hardware, easily more than $10K if you count everything I've ever bought since I was a teenager. A significant chunk of that would be 2.5K on my mixer and 2K on my Summit.

That might sound like a lot, but over ~30 years, it's still only about 400 per year you don't really need 13 guitars ;)
can confirm this, I get by perfectly well with just 9.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

$4323.42 has gotten me
Ample Sound AGLP + VC + PF
Audio Modeling SWAM Cello 3
Audio Modeling SWAM Violin 3
Best Service Hall of Fame 3 Digital Legends
Celemony Melodyne 5 Essential
Evabeat Melody Sauce 2
Exponential Audio NIMBUS
Exponential Audio R4
FL Studio Producer Edition
IK Multimedia ARC System 3
IK Multimedia Lurssen Mastering Console
IK Multimedia MixBox
IK Multimedia MODO Bass 2
IK Multimedia MODO Drum 1.5
IK Multimedia T-Racks 5 MAX
iZotope Audiolens
iZotope Elements Suite 6
iZotope Insight 2
iZotope Ozone 10 Advanced
iZotope Nectar 3 Plus
iZotope Neoverb
iZotope Neutron 4
iZotope RX10 Standard
iZotope Tonal Balance Control 2
iZotope Trash 2
iZotope VocalSynth 2
KSHMR Chain
MeldaProduction MReverbMB
Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6 LE
Native Instruments Massive
Pianoteq 8 Stage
Plugin Alliance bx_bluechorus 2
Plugin Alliance bx_cleansweep V2
Plugin Alliance bx_masterdesk Classic
Plugin Alliance bx_rockrack V3 Player
Plugin Alliance bx_solo
Plugin Alliance bx_subfilter
Plugin Alliance Double MS
Plugin Alliance Free Ranger
Plugin Alliance niveau filter
Plugin Boutique Scaler 2
Pulsar Massive
Pulsar Mu
reFX Nexus <- $1798.25 with the expansions!! Ah, to be a young naive musician in 2010... :)
Reveal Sound Spire <-- $360 with expansions...ah, to be a slightly wiser musician in 2019.
Soundtoys Effect Rack
Toontrack EZbass
Toontrack EZdrummer
XLN XO

And I think that has me set on anything I could possibly need for a good long time (I hope!)

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”